Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope, never going to happen, but a friend that attended the Villa d'Este concours (he won it!) said that the prototype BMW Z4 Zagato was pretty spiffy. Which made me wonder what a body builder like Zagato could have done with the Solstice shape!

See: BMW reveals stunning Zagato Coupe at Villa d'Este

If you want to see my friend's remarkable car, look at the top 3 special awards on Roll of Honour 2012 - Historic Cars

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I always found Zagato to be a bit weird. Most of the Aston's they did were, let's say, "out there". That beemer's not so bad though.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Be interesting to hear what VonHolzhausen had/has to say. While I knew I instantly like the Solstice concept drawing the reality is the length puts it the Hello Kitty category. Basically I resigned myself to the fact that for unknown reasons I'm attracted to suppository shaped cars. Classic Jag-U-are XKE, Aston Martin, mid year Corvettes, Porsche 911, 928, Shelby Daytona Coupe, 3rd gen Mazda RX7, Dodge Viper, and Chrysler Crossfire (though it's length puts it in that same Hello Kitty category. Also, recently been lusting for the chopped 49 leadsled Mercury's.

Which leads to what is the perfect length for a sports car? Too small and people say it's cute, too long and people say it GTish.

The Zagato (while beautiful) almost seems a tad overstyled compared to those sleek designs.

I've also missed the leading edge knife designs lately; like the 68-72 vette and Pantera. But because of pedestrian impact standards those front bumpers styles are probably a thing of the past.

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
Thanks for sharing

At first look the Beemr is very striking. But as I continue to admire it, it does seem overstyled. Too many vents, bumps, transitions there for me. Not bad looking by any means but I have seen a lot of engineering efforts when the term "perfection is the enemy of good enough" comes into play and this looks like a designer who was successful but failed to lay down his pen and continued to add things past the point of no return.

The concours pictures are amazing. I have always viewed these events as the polo of horsevents. You gotta have a ton of money and time to even think about it then you go sit around and drink wine and whine about your cars. I would rather spend my time on a mountain road, but to each his own.

Again, thanks for sharing. It is interesting and visually stimulating.

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
very nice...:cool:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,496 Posts
Thanks for sharing

At first look the Beemr is very striking. But as I continue to admire it, it does seem overstyled. Too many vents, bumps, transitions there for me. Not bad looking by any means but I have seen a lot of engineering efforts when the term "perfection is the enemy of good enough" comes into play and this looks like a designer who was successful but failed to lay down his pen and continued to add things past the point of no return.
From the base of the windshield back, the car is very good. The front half of the car is simply awful with way, way, too many contrasting body lines.

Love the "perfection is the enemy of good enough" comment! :dthumbs:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Does the world really need another "Z"? At first glance I thought it must be a Hybrid. There's room for a big electric motor ahead of the front axle and our engine behind it under that long hood. It's all about balance, LowLife1. This is so much better than that goofy looking Audi with the tail longer than the engine compartment. If I owned one, it would be perfect, Rob. :)

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that they got too fussy and tried to add too much complication on the front end. The side vents are too deep and probably too large, and I haven't quite come to grips with the slitty headlights. I do think that there are many things that work well - for some, I'm sure that it will sit better than the rather odd sculpting on the sides of the stock Z4.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've also missed the leading edge knife designs lately; like the 68-72 vette and Pantera. But because of pedestrian impact standards those front bumpers styles are probably a thing of the past.
I like the sharp front end too, but it also leads to lift at high speeds which most of the older cars experienced. Try driving a C2 or early C3 at high speeds and you feel it real quick. Wife had an 84 Fiero with that sharpish front and at 80 it got kind of scary. It took forever to get to 80, but once you got there it floated real bad. As I understand it, that's part of the reason the GT got the rounded aero front like what is used in the modern cars like my C6. You need to push the air over (preferably) or to the sides, but not too much under.

But here is a car I would love to have.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/20/remember-the-bmw-supercar-that-m-division-wanted-to-build-not-g/

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In regard to needle nose cars, my Jamaican bodied MGA is right up there. I had planned to put a 240Z style front chin spoiler on it to improve aerodynamics, but it would have turned it into a 70s car instead of a 50s look, so I didn't. Still wonder what speeds above 120 would do to front lift......

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Oh yeah, that BMW was nice, talk about evil looking. Dating myself here but anyone remember the Vector W8, that thing looks stealth even before the plane was thought of.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In regard to needle nose cars, my Jamaican bodied MGA is right up there. I had planned to put a 240Z style front chin spoiler on it to improve aerodynamics, but it would have turned it into a 70s car instead of a 50s look, so I didn't. Still wonder what speeds above 120 would do to front lift......

Hi Bill,

I've always thought the Jamaican was beautiful. Ever since I first saw it in my Fiberfab catalog when I was a kid I've wanted one. Is it true they use a Muira windshield?

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Bill,

I've always thought the Jamaican was beautiful. Ever since I first saw it in my Fiberfab catalog when I was a kid I've wanted one. Is it true they use a Muira windshield?
No, although some Fiero based kits in the 80s did use a Countach windscreen.

Fiberfab were very clever. They managed to get the proportions they wanted for the car by using available 1960s glass. The windshield is a Corvette, the side windows and trim Karmann Ghia, and the rear window is from a 911.

A lot of these hapless kits were buggered about, with fl;airs, big mags, added scoops etc., but I wanted to keep at least one looking like it might have been an actual 1960s production car, hence the original body and my choice of wire wheels.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh yea I remember the Vector. That was nice too.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The Zagato is much nicer looking than the Z4

Your buddies car is freaking awesome!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Wife had an 84 Fiero with that sharpish front and at 80 it got kind of scary.
Remember the BMW supercar that M Division wanted to build? Not gonna happen
2 of my fav Fiero's was Archie's yellow, chopped, suicide door, SBC, yellow coupe.
1987 Pontiac Fiero - Custom Chopped LT1-Powered '87 Fiero - High Performance Pontiac Magazine

And the one that shows(ed) it's potential the most:
1987 Pontiac Fiero - Custom Chopped LT1-Powered '87 Fiero - High Performance Pontiac Magazine

Widebody, NSX headlights, Lambo doors, SBC, etc.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Wife had an 84 Fiero with that sharpish front and at 80 it got kind of scary.
Remember the BMW supercar that M Division wanted to build? Not gonna happen
3 of my fav Fiero's was Archie's yellow, chopped, suicide door, SBC, yellow coupe.

And a couple that kept the Fiero's DNA and its styling potential:

Widebody, NSX headlights, Lambo doors, SBC, etc.

Thinking most folks that see this one mistake it for some high-dollar exotic.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts