Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After production of the convertilbe was given the go ahead I heard no more about the coupe and feared it was dead :cryin:

In the latest Car and Driver, they quote the Automotive news as saying the coupe has a good chance for production for 07.

Convertibles are great but I wouldn't buy one for a primary driver and with winters and such. But a coupe is more practical.

And it would be cheaper, lighter and faster too! :yesnod:

I bet they could sell alot more coupes as well.

Anyone else hear this?

I find the coupe styling even better and think I would sell my 74 Formula 400 to own this

·
Registered
139 Posts
pontiac_fanatic said:
And it would be cheaper, lighter and faster too! :yesnod:
Incredibly cool if true. Hey, I'd be very interested in a hardtop version of the Solstice at its current specs. But cheaper, lighter and faster? When can I place my order?!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Unfortunately this is the same rehashed article we've seen from several other magazines too. There's no official information about a Coupe actually existing at this point.

·
Registered
275 Posts
brentil said:
Unfortunately this is the same rehashed article we've seen from several other magazines too. There's no official information about a Coupe actually existing at this point.
i agree... the magazines seem to be feeding off each other on this point.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Since the Solstice started out as a 'vert, and not a coupe, is the coupe really going to be lighter? I mean, they're not going to take OUT structure and reinforcement, know what I mean?

The last generations of Corvette and F-body were designed from the beginning to be convertibles, so there were planned provisions to reinforce the car for stiffness, but the Solstice, as a coupe, wouldn't be appreciably lighter, would it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Waiting for the coupe - big mistake not to produce a coupe first. Most car manufactures produce a coupe first and then follow with a convertible. This is why GM is in bad shape.
Gm - get it right :grouphug:

·
Registered
137 Posts
stang said:
Losing the convertible top alone will save on some weight.
I'm not pretending to be a engineer or anything, but replacing a cloth top with a fixed metal top (glass in case of moonroof, etc.), how would that lose weight? It should stay the same if not increase the weight, right?

·
Registered
350 Posts
AJC said:
Waiting for the coupe - big mistake not to produce a coupe first. Most car manufactures produce a coupe first and then follow with a convertible. This is why GM is in bad shape.

I guess that it has to do with the platform. The platform was designed to be a convertable from the start, which only took off because people loved the Solstice so much when it was introduced as a concept. Why would you build a coup first if you know that people really wanted the convertable and already the the base structure for it. The coup will be out... just give it time.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
mrfantastic said:
I'm not pretending to be a engineer or anything, but replacing a cloth top with a fixed metal top (glass in case of moonroof, etc.), how would that lose weight? It should stay the same if not increase the weight, right?
Well, the cloth is usually quite heavy, but the real savings come from losing all the metal parts that also no longer need to be their. Plus, remember that the waterfall and rear deck lid will also go away. Also, they might be able to remove some of the wall from behind the seats since the roof will now provide some added strength. I doubt we will see a huge drop in weight, but every little bit helps. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
stang said:
...they might be able to remove some of the wall from behind the seats since the roof will now provide some added strength.... :yesnod:

And much needed chassis rigidity for the twisties. :devil:

My ex's '02 Miata was a fun car but you could actually watch the body and windsheild flex even with factory strut bars in place.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AJC said:
A half year's worth of waiting list and orders would disagree with you ;) Agree with what others said, kappa was designed first as 'vert platform. That's one of the things I liked about it, the 'vert was main focus of the platform instead of an after thought.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Kona said:
And much needed chassis rigidity for the twisties. :devil:
It’s probably much like a boat. An open bow always more then a cuddy. The open bow requires additional stringer for support. The stringers add weight.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
AJC said:
Big Mistake???? More than 9000 orders and the car hasn't hit the street yet. I think that states, "They Got It Right!" The car was conceived as a convertible - Roadster. The coupe was an after thought to prop up the racing image of Pontiac.

·
Registered
163 Posts
GM sales are down - convertibles are not a high production item. When GM produces the coupe which should start around $18,000 - GM will sell a lot of coupes and that will help them out. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
While I have a feeling that Pontiac will sell every single Solstice it can make (without discounts or incentives) a coupe would be greatly appreciated, and bring even more people in that wouldn't buy the convertible.

I'm tellin' ya, this car needs more space, a coupe would be welcomed by a lot of folks, me included.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The Batman said:
I'm tellin' ya, this car needs more space, a coupe would be welcomed by a lot of folks, me included.
I do agree a coupe should be made eventually.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Regarding coupes vs convertibles in terms of weight...

I did a little research (at Edmunds.com) on some other two-seaters...

'05 Corvette Coupe- Curb Weight: 3179 lbs.
'05 Corvette Convert. -Curb Weight: 3199 lbs

'05 Crossfire Coupe- Curb Weight: 3061 lbs.
'05 Crossfire Convertible- Curb Weight: 3140 lbs

If these are any guide, we might expect a Solstice coupe to be 20-80 lbs lighter.

As I've said before, I'm waiting for the coupe. It doesn't bother me, though, that the convertible is coming out first. I need some time to build up my GM Card rebate. :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
How about...

a "Targa" roof option, like the Elise and 'Vette. Replace the rear decklid with a hatch (like the 'Vette). Best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts