Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any word on the coupe version? Don't get me wrong I will take the rag top, but the coupe would be more desirable for me.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
ReflexR32 said:
Any word on the coupe version? Don't get me wrong I will take the rag top, but the coupe would be more desirable for me.
No word since the concept couple years back.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
As of right now GM is not going to produce a coupe version of the Solstice. The only two known vehicles to use Kappa are the Solstice roadster, and a yet to be named or seen Saturn 2 seat roadster.

There was a rumor (although I am not buying it) on gminsidernews.com that GM was going to replace the Sunfire with a 2+2 coupe built off the Kappa platform. But I have yet seen any other such rumors that might substantiate it, and it would take some time for GM to further develop a long wheelbase Kappa to incorporate a 2+2 seating configuration. A 2+2 coupe could happen down the road, but its well into the future if it happens at all.

Sorry, for now it’s the ragtop only!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
However, I HAVE heard rumblings of a third Kappa. I'm highly certain it is NOT a saab (contrary to undercurrent "inside information" at C&G) and reasonably certain it is neither a 2+2 nor a longer wheelbase. Nor is it likely to be a hardtop coupe.

Options for fulfilling this 3rd Kappa:

Buick?
Chevy?
Holden/Opel/Vauxhall? (though switching to RHD might be a big pain, also possible trouble with pedestrian stuff)
A Mini XLR?
Daewoo?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
There's the Vauxhall VX Lightning. There's been no information about it being produced though, but we keep seeing lots of info that the Saturn Kappa is going to be very much like it. Then there's the Holden based Kappa you showed us recently too. I think I'll make a "all known kappa" thread with images for those new people coming in.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm a fan of the Solstice coupe concept, I think it would be a good compliment to the roadster without too much hassle in terms of engineering. I would hope they would build it eventually, but I will be getting the roadster first. I am also crossing my fingers for the Nomad, I really like that Kappa version. It looks cool and seems so damb practical that I might be suckered into buying it too. That's my hopes for now, Solstice first, and then a Nomad because the Nomad fits my life and business better than a roadster. Like I've said before, if the Nomad were to debut at the same time as the Solstice, I would have a very tough choice. Thankfully GM has made my choice for me. :cheers

Just my two 1/2 cents.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think that GM should bring out the HO version of the Solstice as the Coupe. As far as i'm concerned the Roadster is for open-air-back-roads-country-driving-fun. The coupe on the other hand I would want to go as fast as possible in a straight line. Plus with the added weight of the top you might need a little more power. :cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally, I much prefer a Vauxhall VX Lighting styling in coupe form, but I also would like to see the Nomad eventually made it to the show room's floor, if GM will make neither, then I will need to sock more money in the mattress for the C6.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'd remove the Holden Torana from the "kappa" list. It's only as close to a kappa as it is as close to a 2+2 Corvette. Even the official GM released information doesn't call it a Kappa-based anything.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yellatec said:
I think that GM should bring out the HO version of the Solstice as the Coupe. As far as i'm concerned the Roadster is for open-air-back-roads-country-driving-fun. The coupe on the other hand I would want to go as fast as possible in a straight line. Plus with the added weight of the top you might need a little more power. :cheers
May not be the case with the Solstice, but most of the time hardtops are actually lighter than convertables, due to the added stiffiners needed to make up for the lack of the roof structure.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Can the kappa hydroformed chassis be stretched for a 2 plus 2 coupe?

That would suit me personally.

Is that what the Holden is?

a stretched kappa chassis?

I like hardtops better than convertibles so I would prefer that option.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
Can the kappa hydroformed chassis be stretched for a 2 plus 2 coupe?

That would suit me personally.

Is that what the Holden is?

a stretched kappa chassis?

I like hardtops better than convertibles so I would prefer that option.
No one but the engineers and planners working on the Kappa program no for sure about the 2+2 option right now. However, given the fact that two of the concept cars shown thus far that are Kappa based have been 2+2, and the common sense reasoning that a 2+2 option would make the Kappa platform far more able to fill capacity at the Wilmington plant, and a 2+2 would make Kappa more profitable by appealing to people like you who want more space, one would think that a 2+2 in the future is likely. I hope so any ways.

The Holden Torana concept is just that, a concept car. I don't think that they have any real idea what platform it is going to built on, or if it will even be built. Some have suggested Kappa for the car, but I haven't seen anything official saying that it is a Kappa car. Given it's specs and Holden's geographical location, I personaly think it will almost certainly never be a Kappa. It just seems too big.

I believe there will be a hardtop Kappa eventually, but with the exception of the Nomad, I don't see many hardtops coming in the near future because GM wants to use this platform to create unique niche image cars that will boost the visability of the respective divisions. Convertables achieve this best, so I see convertables first, hardtops second, with the possible exception of the Nomad because it helps fit in the "urban car" nitch that cars like the Mini and Scion XB now fit. GM may want to get in that market too, we'll see. I hope so. Go Nomad! :thumbs

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the reply...

I'd like a coupe or 2+2 based on the kappa platform as a daily driver.

Style it right..

Throw in a supercharged 240hp 4 I'd be happy...

The nomad type car works for me as a daily driver to the Z06..

If I could get the rear door like saturn has on its coupes ...at least on one side...I'd be happy..(get the kid in the back seat)

Even better would be a sliding door like shown on the original Nomad concept..

I like that idea even better

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I’d bet at some point there will be a 2+2. To keep the Delaware plant running, GM eventually will need to push some serious volumes out the door, and I am not sure they will be able to do that with only 2 seaters alone. Since the 2+2 concepts last year were not big hits, I imagine we will see some new 2+2 Kappa concepts this year, and if one or more of them is a big hit they will go about serious development of the 2+2 Kappa chassis. But they will need something they think will be a hit before they commit to the added development costs.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I’d bet at some point there will be a 2+2. To keep the Delaware plant running, GM eventually will need to push some serious volumes out the door, and I am not sure they will be able to do that with only 2 seaters alone. Since the 2+2 concepts last year were not big hits, I imagine we will see some new 2+2 Kappa concepts this year, and if one or more of them is a big hit they will go about serious development of the 2+2 Kappa chassis. But they will need something they think will be a hit before they commit to the added development costs.
Totally agree with what you say. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a revised Nomad concept this year. I think if they just change the front a little, maybe go to an eggcrate style grill like the '55 and tone down the headlamps. The rest is still genuis to me. Blows the Mini away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts