Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=8/21513505849.jpg&s=x1

Last weekend, my sister and her boyfriend were up north (Michigan) and came across a CTF Solstice. When the driver noticed them checking it out, he threw them the keys (where is the green w/ envy smilie???).

They took some pictures and loved the car. The only one that I thought was interesting is the attached pic of the dash. I thought the lighting showed it well (maybe exaggerates the different colors?).

The car had leather :willy: seats - but apparently not the conv. package (base steering wheel).

BTW - My in-laws have a new Chevy Uplander - which has (I believe) the permium steering wheel used in the Solstice. For those that have gotten used the GM cruise control stalk they have used for the past 20+ years, the new one is an improvement - just takes getting used to. Also, the remote radio controls are slick. :thumbs:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Seats

The seats in that picture look cloth to me?

It is a nice picture of the dash though!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought the same thing - but I asked and was told the seats were leather.

I went back and looked - more closely - at the other pictures and you are right, they are cloth. :leaving:

Maybe they were so excited they mis-remembered - you know how you can ask a 4-yr old just about anything - "did an alien fly across the room" and they'll answer "yes". :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
MAKsys said:
BTW - My in-laws have a new Chevy Uplander - which has (I believe) the permium steering wheel used in the Solstice. For those that have gotten used the GM cruise control stalk they have used for the past 20+ years, the new one is an improvement - just takes getting used to. Also, the remote radio controls are slick. :thumbs:
I like the move to steering wheel mounted controls too. However, I test drove a G6 GTP coupe last week, which has the same 3 spoke wheel, and thought the buttons were a little too small. I know there isn't a lot of room for them, but with the cruise and the stereo controls jammed on the wheel it leaves for some rather small buttons.

A good note is I think they light up at night, which would be a huge plus over many other vehicles where you cannot see the steering wheel buttons at night!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Steering Wheel

On my Lexus the steering wheel buttons light up, I believe it was the same on my Grand Prix when I had it. As soon as you get use to which button is what it doesn't matter but still nice looking....

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The buttons on my Grand Prix steering wheel light up. Of course one side has burned out, and I still haven't figured out how to replace/repair (?) the light on that side to get it working again. Maybe once I stop obsessing about my Solstice, my Grand Prix will get some of the attention it deserves. :lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I like the move to steering wheel mounted controls too. However, I test drove a G6 GTP coupe last week
And how was it? Was it tthe 6-speed?

·
Registered
121 Posts
mcbman said:
Looks like it even has the crank windows!
I noticed that too....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yeah, but it's not a bracket for a Valentine 1. That's the only radar for real driving!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
hmm someone speeding in a Sol? look at that windshield.
It might be for windshield mounted diagnostic modules that measure things like lateral G and toehr variables.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SlipSlider said:
And how was it? Was it tthe 6-speed?
It was a 4 speed auto. There are no 6 speeds in the area yet, or I would have found one of those to drive.

Overall I found the GTP to be fairly impressive. It wasn't GTO quick, but it definately felt like a car that wanted to be driven aggressively. It would take off at even light stabs of the throttle, and going deep into it unleashed brisk acceleration. I could feel the tug on the front wheels from the acceleration. Its certainly no RWD car. It could also use an LSD, as I did squeek an inside tire going around a turn at less than WOT.

I didn't get a chance to really throw it around corners for a really good test of it's handling, but it handled well for what I did do with it. There is some body roll, but it didn't feel like it was going over onto it's side. Its also fairly big, and it doesn't feel like a small, svelte car, but I wouldn't have expected that anyway. I even found the auto to be impressive with the tap shift. It would hold the gear I tapped it to so I could have a lower gear ready coming out of corners. In regular auto, the trans was a little sluggish to downshift, but the tap shift let me avoid the problem.

Overall, I think it makes a good touring coupe. It will certainly go in a straight line, and the engine likes to go. The engine also has VVT and a variable intake runner, and exhibits erally good low end and high end power (3.9L 240 HP 241 lb-ft of torque, 90% available 1800-5800 RPM).

My biggest dislikes... the paint seems to have a lot of orange peel. I know most new cars these days have some, but for whatever reason the G6 appears to have more than most. The door sills are too high to comfortable rest my arm on them with the windows open. They slant up from the front, so the front is low enough but back by your elbow it is a little high. Visibility to the rear is also not that great.

In the end, I think people who really want a sports car won't be satisfied, but someone looking for a good sporty car, that is also a good everyday car will really like it. It is definately fun to drive, and seemed like a quality piece.

I liked it enough that I may end up ordering a 6 speed for a daily driver... I haven't made a decision one way or the other yet. I still have a little looking to do and some thinking to put into it. Either way it shouldn't affect my Sol purchase as I am waiting for the GXP.

·
Registered
383 Posts
mcbman said:
Looks like it even has the crank windows!
Its one of King Lutz' $19995 Sol's :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts