Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sol has been in the body shop and when they re-adjusted the e-break as far back as they could, they said it still wasn't holding my solstice. They guy then said it was his 2nd Sol that had e-brake problems.

Has anybody heard of a recall or has anyone had the same problems?

thanks,

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No recall. The problem is one of two things (or both): 1) Improperly adjusted hand brake cable. 2) Seized rear brake piston (may be freed by rotating, or may require replacement)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No recall. The problem is one of two things (or both): 1) Improperly adjusted hand brake cable. 2) Seized rear brake piston (may be freed by rotating, or may require replacement)
it was adjusted as much as possible, i guess i'll check the rear brake piston

·
Registered
551 Posts
Let us know what you find. Mine barely holds anymore.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Thanks for taking the ribbing D'Rock - it was all in good fun. I'm not aware of any recall and couldn't find anything on it. My '07's parking brake appears to be functional on the driver's side rear (I'm painting rotors and calipers so I checked it out whilst I was noodling around in there.) I'll be checking passenger side tomorrow. From there I'll look at the adjustment options.

I strongly suspect it's cable stretch. Car makers want things light (and inexpensive) so the gauge of cable may be a bit overmatched when you consider just how much force you can create cranking a lever up. If I find a work-around I'll post this weekend.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Again, if the calipers are OK, and it's just that there's 'no adjustment left' in the cable, others have added a 1/2" stack of washers under the adjuster nut to take the slack out of the cable.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
There hasn't been a recall for the e-brake. The only recall on the entire Solstice/Sky production has been for the pinion seal on the differential.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
No need for a recall, really. The piston in the rear caliper has just "adjusted out" and needs to be rotated (screwed) back into position...then handbrake will hold like it was planted there. As earlier stated, see if "Search" helps any.......When I did mine, I found there was nothing in the GM tech manual about the rear piston; at least nothing I could find. It only addressed the cable adjustment.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No need for a recall, really. The piston in the rear caliper has just "adjusted out" and needs to be rotated (screwed) back into position...
Actually that's not the issue. The piston is supposed to screw out to take up the gap between the pads and the rotor as the pads wear. What's wrong is that the piston is NOT screwing out - it's seized - and so the wear is not compensated for, there is a gap, and thus the handbrake doesn't hold.

The act of screwing the piston (I can't believe I just said that) in, unfreezes it, and all is well again. (It will automatically screw itself back out to the right position as you apply and de-apply the brakes.)

You have to do this to both sides as either or both could be frozen.

·
Registered
563 Posts
See my ebrake sucks ass too like it holds the car but most cars will lock the rear up if you pull it on drive pavement while movie. With the solstices you do that it still rolls quit a bit junk junk junk.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Actually that's not the issue. The piston is supposed to screw out to take up the gap between the pads and the rotor as the pads wear. What's wrong is that the piston is NOT screwing out - it's seized - and so the wear is not compensated for, there is a gap, and thus the handbrake doesn't hold.

The act of screwing the piston (I can't believe I just said that) in, unfreezes it, and all is well again. (It will automatically screw itself back out to the right position as you apply and de-apply the brakes.)

You have to do this to both sides as either or both could be frozen.
Could Be! I did not have to overcome a binding or a roughness to get it back into position...it turned easily. I did get the caliper tool set to do the job though.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
See my ebrake sucks ass too like it holds the car but most cars will lock the rear up if you pull it on drive pavement while movie. With the solstices you do that it still rolls quit a bit junk junk junk.
Most cars have drum rear brakes, that is the difference.

This actually is a common problem with sports cars that have disk brakes on all wheels. Granted, the Kappa platform seems to be a little more prone to the problem than most. :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, if the calipers are OK, and it's just that there's 'no adjustment left' in the cable, others have added a 1/2" stack of washers under the adjuster nut to take the slack out of the cable.

this may be the easiest solution and i believe it would work really good. i don't usually like "rigging" my car, but if it works, i don't have to worry about my car rolling down a hill into another car lol :willy:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
TS"Actually that's not the issue. The piston is supposed to screw out to take up the gap between the pads and the rotor as the pads wear"
Could it be that it is a sign that the pads need to be replaced?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

I did this over the weekend and it works perfectly! No more slack in the e-brake cable. Now it locks in place within 3-4 clicks of pulling. I did however, not use a bunch of washers, i used just one at the end and found a nice long 1 inch metal sleeve to slide over the threaded screw. It fit perfectly. I then caped it off with the factory nut/bolt. It looks much cleaner this way. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts