Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short writeup in the January issue of Motortrend indicates that the Solstice will be getting a turbocharged ecotec engine good for 240 HP. I apologize that I could not find a link to the writeup online, so you'll have to get a copy of the magazine to see the whole writeup. Here is the portion regarding the Solstice. One caveat too, it appears there is some misinformation, so I wouldn't take the turbo claim to heart. But maybe they know something too.

Article: "New MX-5: Miata Grows Up"

"Competition: The 2006 Pontiac Solstice with a standard 2.2 liter, 180 horsepower ecotec 4 gets turbocharged for 240 horsepower in 2007. Also for 2007 Saturn gets a similar roadster with both engines."

We know the base engine will be a 2.4L, but it is possible a higher output motor could have a lowered displacement to 2.2L like the current 2.0L Supercharged engine is derrived from the 2.2L N/A motor.

I just found it interesting they are saying it will be a turbo since the safe guess is that it would get the 2.0L supercharged motor.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, but the problem is they got the base engine way off from everything GM has been saying. A 2.2L engine that's producing 180HP compared to what we're told of 2.4L producing 170HP. Little wrong from everything we've heard.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I was going to say "told ya so..." (regarding turbo) but then I read the mis-information (2.2? C'mon! Even the Pontiac website says it's a 2.4 L!).

I guess someone will eventually get the right info.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just because some of the information is incorrect, doesn't mean it all is. I agree that the information should not be taken as gospel, but I still find it interesting that they decided to say it will be a turbo when the obvious choice is S/C.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Just because some of the information is incorrect, doesn't mean it all is. I agree that the information should not be taken as gospel, but I still find it interesting that they decided to say it will be a turbo when the obvious choice is S/C.
Yeah, but if they're getting the basic info right, who knows what else is wrong. They could be pulling this from thin air just to give the article some spunk.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fformula88 said:

The obvious choice is a turbo, since GM already has those certified for US sale. Think Saab 9-3.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
bigd said:
The obvious choice is a turbo, since GM already has those certified for US sale. Think Saab 9-3.
We've had this discussion a couple times before. From information we have available to us the Supercharger option is the most logical. That's based off the information we have though. There might be some info GM isn't telling us that makes the Turbocharger more logical. Don't forget, there are also Supercharged ECOTEC engines (ION RedLine + Cobalt SS), so just because there's Turbocharged SAABs it doesn't mean it's the most likely. Also, if you look at the current Pontiac lineup (and all of GM except Saab and Vauchall/Opel, for that matter) they're currently using all Superchargers.

However at this point I no longer care which, I just want GM to say I can have it. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
brentil said:
However at this point I no longer care which, I just want GM to say I can have it. :D
not too long until we find out, unless they don't reveal the higher output motor in detroit.

GM, please, please, please, feed us what we need!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brentil said:
Yeah, but if they're getting the basic info right, who knows what else is wrong. They could be pulling this from thin air just to give the article some spunk.
Oh, I know. I am certainly not reading too much into it. Just found it interesting.

I think the most obvious choice for GM is a near 400 HP small block V8! Heck, its showing up all over the place, the 2005 GTO, Corvette, SSR…
:lol

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Don't forget, there's this little "leak" from Automobile

from here:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/convertibles/2006_pontiac_solstice/

and I quote:
Automobile Magazine Article from England Test Drive said:
...The base car should give Mazda a lot to think about, while the 250-horsepower-plus turbo version coming later should be a humdinger...
Again, I know I'm in the minority, but my money is still on a turbo. I wouldn't be surprised if a turbo becomes the engine of choice eventually replacing the supercharger on the Cobalt SS and the ION Redline.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, we keep seeing lots of leaks that say Turbo. And we had that guy jump on the forums for a short time say Turbo too. On current info like I've said Supercharger is logical, but that doesn't mean it's what we'll get.

I just want GM to tell us when we can get the higher output version. Year one, year two, year one as a GM Performance Parts addon? I don't care if they tell me what it is, or how powerful. I just want to know it'll exist.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought, but it may be as practical for GM to use Turbos regardless of the S/C motor in the Ion/Cobalt. They are using ecotec turbos in Europe (I believe in the Opel Astra and Vectra, and maybe the Speedster too) as well as another variant in Saabs. So they certainly have experience with that motor as well as the S/C motor.

Plus, packaging could become a factor. The supercharger in the Ion/Cobalt resides in front of the motor, towards the front bumper. However, in the RWD Solstice it would sit next to the motor. Since GM has already stated a V6 will not fit width-wise in the engine bay, there may not be the room to add the supercharger and pluming next to the ecotec in a Kappa application. That could necessitate a turbo instead, as it could be packaged in space already needed for the exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, that could be true. Looking at images of the Concept and the production level make it look like they've changed a good bit around from under the hood. It looks like some new componenents have been put in where the Supercharger was in the concept. So it kinda does look like a Turbocharger would fit, but I'm not sure where the intercooler would end up now. If they produce a Supercharged version it's easy enough for them to move the parts around though. Who really knows anymore.

My issue with the other Turbocharged cars debate is that all of them but SAAB are not federalized. Emissions controls and other various things about the way the engine produces power is regulated differently. So the Tigra, Speedster, VX220 engines would still require work to be done on them to make them federlized. I can't argue with the SAAB though. Since it is a car in the USA, all be it a very low volume car (about 2000 a month are sold).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I did some more reasearch into SAAB and their engines since I really don't know anything about them at all. If I remember correctly the 2.0L ECOTEC used in the Redline and SS are pretty much the same engine from the SAAB 9-3's. The all Al with the same technologies, the under piston oil squirters, dual balanced shafts, etc. The RL/SS just use a Supercharger on it to produce 205HP/200 ft-lbs instead of 210HP/221 ft-lbs from the TUrbocharged SAAB 9-3. (But as we've mentioned many times the Redline is supposedly under-rated.)

However I also found a 2003 SAAB Concept car that used a Turbocharged L850 VVT engine, and if you rememeber that's supposedly the same engine that was in the Concept Solstice and VX Lightning. I found several sites refering to it as...
Breathing is improved by the use of Continuously Variable Cam Phasers (CVCP) to control both inlet and exhaust valves. Apart from improving fuel consumption on full and part-load throttle by up to five per cent, CVCP also further contributes to better low-end torque.
This Turbocharged L850 produces 250 HP and 258 ft-lbs. That sounds like the numbers we've seen in the magazines recently, and what some others have said. However that was a 2.0L engine.

I also found a couple of other interesting bits. This Turbocharged L850 VVT uses a Twinscroll titanium Turbocharger that apparently does all kinds of nifty things for decreasing tubro lag, and increasing ~1500 RPM torque. Also the L850 was co-designed by Lotus with GM as a world engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like they made some structural changes too?

Look at the concept pic, it has a strut tower brace. In the cut-aways of the production vehicle, there is nowhere for that brace to be put. :confused

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You are correct, the way the eingine bay seems to be designed in those new images, it would be impossible to put a strut across there without creating a non-standard strut.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good info on that Saab L850 concept motor! A 250 HP turbo 4 with 258 lb-ft of torque would certainly be an exciting engine! Thanks for digging that up!

Based on that info, it does sound like there may be a lot of shared technology between the Saab turbo and IRL S/C ecotec engines. If that is the case, then it could be just as easy for GM to offer one or the other, regardless of the Euro-spec turbo motors. Also, the IRL S/C motor is imported from Germany and is not made in Tonawanda NY with the N/A Ecotecs. It stands to reason that it likely is closely related to those Euro turbos as well.

We’ll see what we get. I’d really like to see a boosted L850 whether it is turbo or S/C!

·
Registered
533 Posts
The fellow on GM Insider that seemed to have a reliable source mentioned the LNF 2.0 T/C coming in the 2007 model. I'm not familiar with that engine code. Is the LNF a currently produced powerplant?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am no expert on GM engine codes, but LNF doesn’t sound right. They all seem to have a number in them somewhere. L88, LT1, LS2, L44, etc, etc. If GM does use all number codes for engines, someone correct me if I am wrong.

However, if its close to true, I like the sounds of a 2007 model year turbo Solstice! As long as its not a mid-year addition, it would only be a 1 year wait for the higher powered version!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Probably a little more then a year since the Solstice is supposed to be mid/late mid 2005 arival, and the 2007 model more then likely wont hit showroom floors till very end of 2006.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts