Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
National Solstice Meet Up June 21, 2006

There are various models of the famous Solstice-Tracking Brit Landmark around the U.S.:

Stonehenge Replicas Website

How cooooooool would it be to meet up with our new wheels simultaneously on June 21, 2006 at the various replicas around the country???? :cool:

I smell national coverage, Mr. Lutz!

·
Registered
193 Posts
My vote is for the Carhenge in Nebraska.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortyninenorth said:
I proposed we meet next year on June 21, 2006 in the post

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2461

Doing so at Stonehenge replicas adds a nice touch. ;)
"VANCOUVER - England's ancient Stonehenge monument resembles a female fertility symbol, Canadian researchers say. Viewed from above, the pattern of stones resembles the female genitalia, according to Anthony Perks, a retired professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of British Columbia." http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2003/07/09/stonehenge030709

My hat's off to you O Canada....but it looks like you'll have to come to the States to meet up with us at one of the replicas...I couldn't find one in the Great White North via Google. ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'll say it before DANNO

We had one made of ice but with the damn global warming it melted. :lol:

Who knew Shakespeare's "Much Ado about Nothng" was inspired by Stonehenge.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Stonehenge in WA State.

We will be meeting at the Stonehenge in WA State for the solstice. We have a lot of twisty roads here. Come join us!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Unfortunately I will have to take my Sol to the real Stonehenge, any forum members are welcome to meet me there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, that's a great idea. Let's organize a summer solstice gathering at the Columbia Gorge. Hopefully I'll even have a Solstice to drive there by then! :)

Where exactly is the Stonehenge replica? What is the nearest town or hotel?

We should organize a couple of different scenic drives. We should have one drive down to the waterfall area along the old Gorge highway. Any other scenic drives that you all recommend?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Stonehedge in WA State

The photo was taken at the Stonehenge in WA State near Maryhill, WA that Sam Hill built. It is on the Columbia River, about 1 hour east of The Dalles, OR.
GM picked it for the Press Events for a reason. The Gorge has a great selection of roads and a lot of commercials have been filmed here. The Car Connection photos were taken here.
We can have a great event here. I would be happy to help organize it.

We can even meet there for the Winter Solstice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
But I probably won't have a Solstice by the winter Solstice! :cuss: :brentil:

You know, I've been to the MaryHill Museum there - great place, by the way - but I've never seen the Stonehenge replica. I guess I was too busy, and on the way to somewhere else.

That museum is fantastic - a first-class museum in the middle of nowhere, lost on the WA plains - great views of the Columbia River though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Stonehenge would be great

I'm not a 1ker, but I guess I missed by the hair of my chinney, chin, chin. I was just down there and I passes the cars when they were in Portland for the ride & drive there. At first I was really POed, (After the shock of seeing a real live solstice wore off) I called my dealer and asked why I just had seen three of these beauties and he hadn't even gotten a confirmed order. Well, he explained what a ride & drive was and that there would be one in seattle soon enough and that it was a good sign that i had seen them. All is good now, I've made it to 3000 and hope to hear a build date and a VIN soon after. Hoping for a delivery prior to halloween. Anyway, the roads are the perfect place to drive a roadster like this and I'm stoked to have a meet at stonehenge. It's only about a three hour drive for me... ;-) Just let me know when. I'm in.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You know, I've been to the MaryHill Museum there - great place, by the way - but I've never seen the Stonehenge replica. I guess I was too busy, and on the way to somewhere else.
The Stonehenge is about 6 miles to the east on Hwy 14, on the right, just past Hwy 97.

·
Registered
31 Posts
SgtMilburn said:
Just let me know when. I'm in.
well, the when is settled SgtMilburn. :) Summer solstice. And the where is settled - the Stonehenge replica is a perfect choice for those of us in the NW. Now we just need to start organizing. Count me in too - I'm also "stoked!" :)

Let me know how I can help.

And, SunSports, where do you recommend we stay? Not too many places to choose from in Biggs, OR! :) So, any recommendations for The Dalles, or Hood River?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For those of us planning on a gathering in the Gorge's Stonehenge replica, to get this "rolling" we have a choice:

...an informal meet up...we just name a time to be there and do so.

...or a formal gathering (entailing some coordination with the Maryhill museum folks). more info
Anyone willing to run with that?

Of course, we may be sharing the space with a gathering of new-agers...

I'm from the NW, but stationed in CA...but I'm willing to take a week of leave to drive back up there start the summer right. I guess another question is how many other folks can take the time off mid week?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Solace said:
For those of us planning on a gathering in the Gorge's Stonehenge replica, to get this "rolling" we have a choice:

...an informal meet up...we just name a time to be there and do so.

...or a formal gathering (entailing some coordination with the Maryhill museum folks). more info
Anyone willing to run with that?

Of course, we may be sharing the space with a gathering of new-agers...

I'm from the NW, but stationed in CA...but I'm willing to take a week of leave to drive back up there start the summer right. I guess another question is how many other folks can take the time off mid week?
We can sell rides to the new-agers. :)

Any GM staff lurking around here? As has been said, this would be a great marketing opportunity for GM, it'd be great to get some financial and logistical support from GM to host several Solstice parties around the country (sorry Frosty - around the world - since you'll be at the original Stonehenge. Wish I could be there at the original as well.)

I'd be willing to contact Maryhill. We'll need to arrange parking. I might have to drive up there one of these weekends to case the area. We'll need to arrange a sponsor hotel, etc.

·
Registered
472 Posts
[/QUOTE] We'll need to arrange parking. I might have to drive up there one of these weekends to case the area. We'll need to arrange a sponsor hotel, etc.[/QUOTE]

There is a large gravel overflow parking lot at the Maryhill Museum. The GM folks had lunch there every day during the press drives.

The best hotels are in Hood River, OR (IMO).

http://www.oregon-lodging.com/D-L/HOODRIVER.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts