·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds good

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I have to go to work today and tomorrow + I don't have time to post the pic yet (don't call bs on me yet though) I will get it. Heres the background: a friend has access to a prototype 'captured test vehicle'. He let me drive in it and said it was ok for me to 'talk it up' on the internet. So thats what I'm gonna do without fear of him getting in trouble (most of the information should already be known anyways). First, details about the car and production holdups. There were some moderate fit/gap problems on the test car. Notice the solstice banner at the top of the page and how you see no gaps? In the real car you could almost stick a pencil in the gaps between thefront facia and fenders that are above the wheel wells. Also I noticed there were a few gaps on the back that looked wide (esp the side of the tail lights). Finally, I discovered the third cupholder was not yet implimented.
FIRST IMPRESSION:
Overall It was a solid first impression. I only got exposed to this car for about 1 hour but me and everyone else was solidly impressed (a range of people from 14 years old to 70+). This car had all the bells and whistles like xm+leather seats+polished wheels. IMHO I liked every styling detail about it but 4 little things (2 are easily fixable).
1. The headlights: don't flame me here but I would have liked the styling better if they would have made them smaller somehow at certain angles it just looks bugeyed.
2. The rearbackup lights: the look a little be strange. I would've liked it better if they integrated them into one piece along with the tail lights. Perhaps they will do this on 'the uplevel' version?
3+4. Grill plastic and rear fascia plastic. I don't like grey plastic much on the exterior of cars. I think that if they made it chrome or something it would look better. On the other hand it might stand out too much or be too flashy so maybe all in all this was the best choice. IMHO the plastic coloring is easily fixable/changable so Im sure we will see either black or chrome or both.
DETAILED IMPRESSION:
For those that want to know: The gastank does take up must of the trunk. With top down it takes up even more. There is a small area to cram stuff into. The fix a flat/comressor looks nicely placed into the rear left corner. It looks like they are using some new kind of 'glue on' wheel weights for wheel balancing I had never seen this kind before. I noticed several things regarding the open clamshell hood: it felt pretty light due to the massive prop rods. The plastic engine cover looked a little strange on there (not evenly placed if that makes any sense). The battery was in a strange location (right fender) underneath the fuse box. The only key to my knowing this was a prototype was some numbering that was hand etched on a piece of metal on a top left bracket right next to the hole where one of the rubber hood adjusters sits. (hope that description makes sense)
DRIVING IMPRESSION:
I took it out for about 10 miles. About 5 of these were on very bad dirt roads. Im pleased to say that the thing felt really solid. There was only 1 intermittent squeak that sounded like it was coming from a rear bushing somewhere. Once we got on the paved roads I punched it and was able to chirp the rear tires. I didn't get a chance to take it on curvy roads though. The overall thought I kept thinking was c4, but thats not a bad thing! The way the hood works, the way the hood looks as your in the drivers seat, the way the cockpit is laid out, it all is very sporty as it should be. Finally, the friend had mentioned that he'd be using regular unleaded. I wondered if that was hold the power back from its 177 max rating? All in all the car was a little bit lower feeling than I had expected (from how you sit to how high the windshield is). Thats not a complaint just an observation. finally interior wise everything felt pretty solid. The ac got going quickly. (you push the knob and a light comes on). I noticed controls for phone+a microphone built into the driver's side windshield (but didn't get to try it out). I didn't get to try out the cd player but xm sounded good. I liked the look of the new stereo and it integrated well with the dash. All of the buttons, door handles etc were really good. I did notice 2 small flaws imho about the interior. The windshield and headlight stalks were the standard ones. The second thing is the shifter did vibrate a lot with the engine. Perhaps they will improve some of these things in time, if not Im sure most people won't care.
HIGHLIGHTS:
highs:
-excellent interior
-solid feel of the car
-exhaust note
lows:
-cheap plastic engine cover
-grey plastic on exterior (including xm antenna)
-could use a lil' more power
-windshield and headlight stalks
-orange peel paint

Despite the lows I would still be inclined to give it a 95% rating. If I was gonna buy one Id either get a better intake and exhaust right away or better yet just get the turbo version. I could live with the little details like the grey plastic but would be happier if they fixed it. Thats all for now.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds like most of those issues could be fixed with the retail cars. Thanks for the review.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks man. Yes I think the regular gas might rob a few HP....others?

·
Registered
58 Posts
About that chirp, are you sure it was the wheels or was it the intake because if you put the clutch in and floor it does the same noise. It is caused by the air rushing in.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Thanks for the informative heads up!!!!

Sure wish I could try out one of the 'mules'.

Take care-Steve

:willy:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow. Thanks.
Overall, that's a reassuring review for me. Hope the paint issue is just a preproduction thing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The mule is a male donkey&female horse off spring.The mule you were driving is the off spring of many parts from the GM bin of various models.By the time it hits my driveway it'll be honed and stropped to a fine edge.THANKS FOR THE REPORT NOW BRING ON THE PICTURES!!!!! :cheers: :cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just got in from work.
satch: I wish I had multiple pics unfortunately I have a cheap cell phone camera + I only had time to get one pic.
RE squeak. The squeaking was heard only on the rutted dirt roads (not when shifting) and only intermittently. I infact DID get the tires to chirp on several occasions. I was PUNCHING it to the floor to see how fast I could get it. keep in mind that as far as everyone here and gm is concerned it was all within the speed limit ; ) !!!! anyways some final observations b4 I go and get the pic transfered from phone to pc to internet:
-Side Mirrors were a lil small but usable.
-There are a few blind spots with top up.
-there is a 3m clear film type applique applied in a triangle like shape over the paint where the buttresses rest. I assume this is to protect the paint.
-for some reason the buttresses appeared to use velcro. Im not sure if this is to make it easier to repair or it is a prototype thing.
-there is a black rear bar in the trunk it appeared to be a small stabilizer.
-the rear center console was also grey plastic + you could stack up a verticle stack of about 15 cd cases and thats about it.
-the dic was set to display avg speed and it kept sayin 33mph no matter how hard I pushed it.
-everyone gawked at the car + did a double take.
things I was to busy/excited to notice:
-how the turn signal stalk sounded/felt
-weather the engine bay had a light (the trunk did)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Excellent post. Thanks! Interesting that the 3rd cupholder hasn't been implemented, yet. I think this is the first time we've heard that.

I have one very small nit to pick:

davioh said:
The fix a flat/compressor looks nicely placed into the rear left corner.
GM, if you're listening, please move the flat kit to the passenger side so that people who are pulled over are at less risk of being hit by traffic.

·
Registered
350 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
Excellent post. Thanks! Interesting that the 3rd cupholder hasn't been implemented, yet. I think this is the first time we've heard that.
I believe that he said this is one of the earlier test cars. The cupholder has been implemented now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[pic : )

doesnt compare to Big Johns massive high quality photo collection. Bonus points for anyone who can tell what Im holding in my right hand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
davioh said:
Bonus points for anyone who can tell what Im holding in my right hand.
Can't make it out but it's yellow...do I get half credit :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also one more fact validated by the grainy cell phone pic: Look behind the front wheel and see the dirt splatters? It got quite a bit of time on country roads (also evidenced by the numerous trees in the background).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts