Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed over the last several months that there aren't as many new threads as there used to be on a daily/weekly basis. While I believe there will always be interest in the Kappa platform there does seem to be a shift in interest occurring.

Anyone else noticing this trend?

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
It's seasonal and cyclical. When new owners come on they have questions. When the cars are sitting there are less questions. And most of the long term members have fewer things to say.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Let's not forget that we try to tell new people that there is a search function as well.... Most of the questions that new owners have, have already been discussed at length in previous threads. We saw the same thing happen on a previous Mustang forum I was on. Of course their major decline was eventually due to some unruly members that weren't put in their place by admin or other members. It was rough rider country for the most part.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Ditto what Rob and Ghost said. And I haven't been screwing anything up on my car so I haven't had as much to contribute!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Weather has been crappy here, since the beginning of the summer, so the Sky patiently sits in the garage...... :brentil::devil: I guess i'll be participating more.... than driving.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I have no more mods to do!!!!!:willy: I did the head unit and my gauge cluster face this year and my Sol feels pretty well completed. I thought and talked about getting a really high end trailer but poor customer service at "Bushtec Trailers" turned me off and I have shelved this mod. At this point I am done and enjoying my Sol. I too, notice a slow down. I do feel that this is Forum is a treasure trove of info on are cars and I am very loyal to it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hardly ever post, but I look at this forum almost daily. I have used search function a bazillion times. I agree that a lot of the questions have already been answered and all you have to do is search to find it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree with Rob on this and really appreciate the forum, but I do notice a competitive trend.

I think the forum owners really need to get with it and bring some features that are prevalent on Social media like Facebook to this forum. Just check out the interaction on the not to be directly named "S&S Admirers" page on FB. When you read that you see many more of the following demographics: Young people and Women. That's a very important demographic. You see a more "alive picture", Joy in the platform, and COMMUNITY there. Mostly because of P I C T U R E S. Even silly ones!

Here's a few specifics I'd recommend:
1) Not charging a membership to easily post pictures. Perhaps back in the day when memory was expensive this was a way of limiting posts or squeezing out a few nickels from users. Now memory is a cheap commodity. Let the ads fly if necessary. Make them more discrete. Like put them to the side.
2) Archiving all pictures - So many good older "how to'" posts are essentially dead because the pictures were linked to image bins like photobucket etc. and the person moved on, or sold the car or no longer maintains the image bin. This makes really valuable information much less useful, and hence the forum.
3) The ability to "like" or "give props" or whatever so people can interact simply and easily. Instead of a required 10 characters etc. People are busy or may feel intimidated to comment. How many times do you see "I've been lurking" then their profile says they joined a year ago and just now commented. Make interaction easy for newbies.
4) Work on your AP. Compared to XXppa Talk this one is antiquated. Traditional web pages are DYING. Personal issue: This AP does not allow font size to get really big enough for easy viewing on small devices like iPad mini or cell phone. In fact it's much smaller that the allowable font from the device manufacturers. I use 1.0 readers but must have them for this forum.

That is all for now. Thanks to the regulars, experts, and newbies on this forum. And especially thanks to the moderators. You've been able to stem off the negative influences that KILLED other forums.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I check this forum daily but do believe it has slowed down. There seems to be a lot of new people having activity on facebook and then they are sent here to this venue when needing information that has probably already been discussed.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I've noticed this for the last year or so - new posts as well as responses are down (I leave it to someone else to analyze the data - we must have some accountants here). And that is other than the seasonal issue which has been around since the beginning - in summer people are too busy enjoying the cars to post and in winter when many don't drive them, they sit here and talk about driving them. Even that is down.

One of my solutions would have been to merge the three largest forums (fora?) together so that you don't have to go looking at all of them with often limited time available, but apparently those that created these fora have monetary interests involved that would preclude that, so it would seem that they will all slowly shrivel in the cold alone, which is a shame.

I am on several car sites and some of them are vital and full of interest even for cars that haven't been produced in 35 years and more, so just being out of production isn't a death knell.

It is also evolutionary. I've seen higher end cars that I own (Jensens, Lamborghini) be a dead zone as far as the internet (and before that print) goes, and then pick up quite a bit when the cars pass on from original owners to less well heeled owners who tend to do their own maintenance and have questions.

Of course there is a reverse cycle too - some cars like Ferraris and Lamborghinis have cycled back up again as prices have rebounded and at are all time highs (yes, I did turn down a Ferrari Dino 246 GT coupe for $15,000 once :banghead:

At that point the fan sites continue to exist but tend to become a self congratulatory exercise in automotive onanism.

I don't think we need to worry about Kappas hitting that sort of resurgence......

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yeah, it could. For every enthusiast there are a dozen drivers who only care that their car get them where they are going and they aren't interested in how.

A sports car tends to attract enthusiasts though - look at the national Miata clubs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been here since 06, check the forums almost daily, and occasionally post. Lots of GREAT info here, and I hope it continues. I have about 50k on my GXP, and other than Magnaflow it's completely stock. My kids are still in high school and most of my time and excess cash goes to their sports, activities, cheer, you name it. Eventually I'll be in a position to be able to spend more time and money on mods., and then this forum will be a Godsend.

Thanks to all you regular posters and really savy mechanics, and supporting vendors!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
While there are a lot of people that have moved their online activity to facebook, there is no good, reliable way to search facebook for information on our cars.

Forum/BBS software is designed with searching in mind, which makes it quite simple to find info in the more than 1,000,000 posts on this forum.

Each has its place in our daily lives,

Another reason that it seems slower is that a bunch of us are not as active as we used to be here on the forums. Our Kappas are getting older, many of us have sold our cars and moved on, many of us don't drive our cars as much as we used to, all these things contribute to this place and the other Kappa forums slowing down a bit.

Times change, Autoforums doesn't pay much attention to the Kappa forums any more, as they aren't bringing in as much ad dollars as other forums, so we don't have the most recent software available to us . . . etc., etc., etc.

:dunno:

·
Registered
271 Posts
These cars haven't been built in over 5 years. Usually the first owners are the most enthusiastic as mods are being developed and issues are being discovered/solved.

Take for example cobaltss.net. It has a neat little feature that counts how many people are active at this very moment, who they are, etc. The single point in time with the most active, logged in and posting people online at that very instant occurred all the way back in 2010. When they stopped making that car, the enthusiasm for it dropped as well.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Social Media

She can be a beeotch!

I've lost countless online forums that taught me everything I knew because of Facebook.
Everything is moving online to Pages/Communities on FB.

It sucks, because 'Generation Right-Now' can simply ask a question and get an answer within 5 mins and move about their day.
That, in theory, is all fine and dandy....but it becomes annoying to OG's that KNOW the answers are buried within forums (like SolsticeForum) and the newbs are too go-go-go to sit down and do research.

I fear there is no way out of it; until it's too late.

One forum in particular (FiberglassForum) I had book marked over 300+ build threads and learned from them over the past 15 years......they are all gone....never to be found again....invaluable information, that I cherish, now gone....but it's because FB pages have popped up and are very popular among new members and they all ask the same questions, day-in and day-out, that were answered on the first ever Stickies ever created on the Forum.

That's what I see

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Im here all day pretty much every day but for weekends. Then I check 3-4 times a day. I try to answer any questions that come up and I where I have knowledge.

One thing I have noticed that I view as a positive is there is a lot less . . intensity in the posts over here of late. Back in 07 and 08 there was a lot of pie in the face angst here. Most of that is gone and we all get along pretty well in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have no more mods to do!!!!!:willy:
I think that's what happened to a lot of folks, and possibly why folks aren't posting as much. Buy a car, mod a car, bored of car, sell car. Plus a lot of cool cars continue to offered every year, and it is tempting to want what's new.

As I've said before, I'm starting to see Kappa's being advertised for sale with well over 100K, and sold cheap. So I expect a lot more of them will be bought for the sole intention of swapping in new performance engines. So that should bring a new element to the forum.

So it will be interesting to see what the forum in like in a decade if all mankind hasn't been Zombiefied by then. Remember, always aim for the brain.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts