Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see it posted here so here it is. Interesting stuff.

http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?threadid=12723

Production for the all-new 2006 Pontiac Solstice roadster is geared up to launch in mid-June of 2005. Because product “czar” Bob Lutz wanted the Solstice to be a basic roadster priced below $20,000; the Kappa-based roadster does not have all of the ‘goodies’ that one would think the car should have. However the Solstice has plenty of dealer-installed accessories to make the car more personal.

An array of accessories will be offered through GM Accessories once the Solstice lands in dealerships this Summer. Possibly the most exciting accessory is a Cat-back exhaust system. The exhaust will reduce backpressure for performance and allow for a more aggressive exhaust note. Another exciting accessory is an Adjustable Race Suspension that will enhance the Solstice’s handling. The package includes an uplift kit, springs, bushings and adjustable struts.

Other accessories include; Luggage Rack that attaches to the rear deck lid and 18” chrome wheels, which will become available in late 2005.

Also note that in 2007 the Solstice will get a GT performance model that will be powered by a Turbocharged 2.0L ECOTEC engine. It is said that the GT model will have a revised front fascia.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Good find and I wish it all to be true. NaCl. I wonder if they really know inside stuff or are just like us. But it does reinforce other rumors from other sources about dealer installed performance enhancers.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Awesome find.

I really wish GMI would at least hint at some type of source. Because every time I see something there I think some guy in a back room someplace just decided to make up some news and post it to get posts. However it somewhat fits in line with information we've been getting about there being accessories and a possible GT version.

I wonder if the dual exhaust Solstice we've seen running around is actually just an exhuast upgrade package? Because they'd have to be testing that vigurously now too if it's going to be available not long after or at launch.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Hope it's true. I hope all of it's true. Though the car will have shocks vice struts.

I'm hoping for an aftermarket roots-type supercharger kit. I just prefer superchargers to turbos. If the '07 GT model comes with a turbo'd mill, then I won't regret buying the '06. Especially if I can go aftermarket for a S/C for mine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was hoping for a bolt on gm supercharger kit as well. I think the plastic panel on a stock solstice would have to be replaced. It only has one opening for a single exhaust.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
aawil said:
Yeah I was hoping for a bolt on gm supercharger kit as well. I think the plastic panel on a stock solstice would have to be replaced. It only has one opening for a single exhaust.
Yeah, but as we've talked about some I believe that's why there is a seperate plastic panel there. It looks like it could easily be removed for another cheap plastic panel to permit for a dual outlet exhaust.

I as well am hoping for an official GM performance upgrade kit of some sort. I think it would be awesome to build the ultimte GM stock Solstice.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
To put dual outlets on my Miata the manufacturer sends a "template" to tape on to the lower valance. They tell you to use a sharp knife and cut out the valance along the template lines. A little risky, but if done with care, it looks okay. Hopefully GM doesn't make us go through the same procedure. I don't stay in the lines as well as I did when I was a younger kid.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
Awesome find.

I really wish GMI would at least hint at some type of source. Because every time I see something there I think some guy in a back room someplace just decided to make up some news and post it to get posts. However it somewhat fits in line with information we've been getting about there being accessories and a possible GT version.

I wonder if the dual exhaust Solstice we've seen running around is actually just an exhuast upgrade package? Because they'd have to be testing that vigurously now too if it's going to be available not long after or at launch.
All parts of that find at GMI relate to the Copper Mountain spy shots. If you zoom in on a show pic of the AFRLV you can almost imagine attaching screws I believe, so a CAT back dual kit would include a new AFLRV, probably in black or primer just like other Pontiac lower body panels, ready for painting to match or contrast.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Possibly the most exciting accessory is a Cat-back exhaust system. The exhaust will reduce backpressure for performance and allow for a more aggressive exhaust note.
Word of warning from "been there, done that". That aggressive exhaust note will be a real pain in a roadster with an unlined cloth top. Had catback, free flow converter and aftermarket headers on the ol' Honda and ended up adding sheets of sound insulation to the back of the car. Even then, on a long trip, if I didn't wear earplugs while driving down the interstate, I could tell there was temporary hearing loss similar to after rock concerts in my youth. Last years annual hearing test at work revealed permanent threshold shift hearing loss.

With sound, remember two things:
1. It's a time weighted thing and
2. It makes a huge difference how close you are to the source.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Word of warning from "been there, done that". That aggressive exhaust note will be a real pain in a roadster with an unlined cloth top. Had catback, free flow converter and aftermarket headers on the ol' Honda and ended up adding sheets of sound insulation to the back of the car. Even then, on a long trip, if I didn't wear earplugs while driving down the interstate, I could tell there was temporary hearing loss similar to after rock concerts in my youth. Last years annual hearing test at work revealed permanent threshold shift hearing loss.

So if you make it louder---drive FASTER.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I guess you'll have to drive faster than the speed of sound....Seriously, I think the only after market add-ons I would get would be quite simple. A car cover. I would keep it all orginal equipment. To me adding bling blings to a car - especially a roadster like this - would make it sleazy and pimpy. It all comes down to personal preference though...but don't let me see you in a Solstice with spinning hub caps!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree: But I've already bought my sand and gray fuzzy dice and am just waiting on a place to hang them! And I'm trying to decide on which 17" rims would look best (sans spinners!)

·
Registered
288 Posts
DreamerDave said:

Well, I think that just the addition of a cat back exhaust to this type of system won't produce that much noise. I know they say "aggressive" but I don't think it will be that bad.

I have a 1999 Pontiac Firehawk with an SLP Loudmouth exhaust. Now *that* is an aggresive note coming out of the exhaust. Actually, it's sounds completely badass, but when driving down the highway at 80 it's near impossible to hold a conversation.

That being said, I think that the upgraded exhaust will be somewhat tame as far as that goes.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
I guess you'll have to drive faster than the speed of sound....Seriously, I think the only after market add-ons I would get would be quite simple. A car cover. I would keep it all orginal equipment. To me adding bling blings to a car - especially a roadster like this - would make it sleazy and pimpy. It all comes down to personal preference though...but don't let me see you in a Solstice with spinning hub caps!
This isn't bling-bling no chrome other than tips, if it comes with a lttle bite to go with the sound I'm in. But I fully agree on the spinning hubcaps AND undercar lights AND chrome alternators...I'll stop now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Almost all the noise increase was from the cat back. Came with a note that said "Not street legal in the following states...(long list)" Assume those are the ones with actual drive by Db laws. I doubt GM would market (even over their parts counter) catbacks that weren't legal in around a dozen states. Expect a company as big as GM to be more conservative 'cuz they'd be more worried, tort-wise, than a much smaller aftermarket tuner supplier.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Almost all the noise increase was from the cat back. Came with a note that said "Not street legal in the following states...(long list)" Assume those are the ones with actual drive by Db laws. I doubt GM would market (even over their parts counter) catbacks that weren't legal in around a dozen states. Expect a company as big as GM to be more conservative 'cuz they'd be more worried, tort-wise, than a much smaller aftermarket tuner supplier.
Dodge offers CATback systems right at their dealers and are supposed to be street legal (other than maybe in CA)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
All parts of that find at GMI relate to the Copper Mountain spy shots. If you zoom in on a show pic of the AFRLV you can almost imagine attaching screws I believe, so a CAT back dual kit would include a new AFLRV, probably in black or primer just like other Pontiac lower body panels, ready for painting to match or contrast.
Actually I have close up shots of a pre-production Solstice from the OIAS that you can see the screws holding it in place. Since then though they've been covered in more recent photos with plastic nubs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
I guess you'll have to drive faster than the speed of sound....Seriously, I think the only after market add-ons I would get would be quite simple. A car cover. I would keep it all orginal equipment.
yeah, I want a car cover too. Even though it will be garaged, dust finds its way in. The only thing I plan to do to mine is add custom stripes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hopefully gm does what they did with the Grand Prix. Accessories at really good prices. They have a full stainless, dual system that can be had for about 500. Has a great tone and fit the car nicely. They also had a cheap suspension upgrade for under 150 bucks and a kick ass upgrade for 750 "konis and vogland springs"

If they can manage that again with the solstice ill be all over it. Id just be a little worried about lowering that car at all! I forsee a problem with driveways as is.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts