Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya’ll’s opinion please. :devil:

When Pontiac decided to bring over the hot rod Monaro and call it a GTO, it created at least two camps. One (of which I am in) cried foul. I have to agree whole heartedly with Jim Wagner – a car called a GTO should be very special – and identifiable.

If Pontiac wanted to resurrect a name for the car, I believe an appropriate name would have been 2+2 – which it really is, if you look at the seating.

What if Pontiac had a “special” model of the Solstice called the Solstice GTO. It would be a twin turbo model of no less than 350 HP. A two seat hot rod for $25,000. I believe the entire automotive world would accept that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry, Old Goat, I have to disagree with you. First off, I should state that I am in the other camp that really likes the new GTO and I believe it fits the bill. I am only 25, but my Uncle had a '69 GTO convertible a few years ago and I know what a GTO is and what it's supposed to be. The GTO was never a flashy car, it was a famliy car that they dropped a big engine into (save for the Judge package). I think the new GTO is deserving of the name and it is a highly underrated car...most people that bash it have never even sat in one, much less driven one. The new car is a modern interpretation which I am thankful for. I for one am sick of all the retro cars that look just like the old cars...lets have some new ideas!

Also, I think a Solstice GTO would garner just as much criticism (if not more) from enthusiasts and the press. A GTO should be a large(r) car, with seating for four (2+2), and it HAS to have a V8. Everyone was screaming because the '04s didn't have hood scoops (even though the early GTOs didn't either)...don't you think they would be going nuts if there weren't eight cylinders under the hood?

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the Sol (otherwise I wouldn't have one on order) and I am looking forward to a high output version. But I could never look at the Solstice and think "GTO". Just my opinion of course, and you know what they say about opinions... ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Old Goat said:
Ya’ll’s opinion please. :devil:

When Pontiac decided to bring over the hot rod Monaro and call it a GTO, it created at least two camps. One (of which I am in) cried foul. I have to agree whole heartedly with Jim Wagner – a car called a GTO should be very special – and identifiable.

If Pontiac wanted to resurrect a name for the car, I believe an appropriate name would have been 2+2 – which it really is, if you look at the seating.

What if Pontiac had a “special” model of the Solstice called the Solstice GTO. It would be a twin turbo model of no less than 350 HP. A two seat hot rod for $25,000. I believe the entire automotive world would accept that.

Agreed, the GTO has to have it's own identity, easy recognizable (sight and sound) at a distance, without having to see the nameplate. But in no way should it have a name change, or be "hybrid" with anything else including the Solstice. A Solstice GT would be cool, but THE GTO should always have it's own "uncorrupted" identity. Go ahead and develope the Solstice to its fullest potential, but NEVER use GTO in the name!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C5Vette said:
Sorry, Old Goat, I have to disagree with you. First off, I should state that I am in the other camp that really likes the new GTO and I believe it fits the bill. I am only 25, but my Uncle had a '69 GTO convertible a few years ago and I know what a GTO is and what it's supposed to be. The GTO was never a flashy car, it was a famliy car that they dropped a big engine into (save for the Judge package). I think the new GTO is deserving of the name and it is a highly underrated car...most people that bash it have never even sat in one, much less driven one. The new car is a modern interpretation which I am thankful for. I for one am sick of all the retro cars that look just like the old cars...lets have some new ideas!

Also, I think a Solstice GTO would garner just as much criticism (if not more) from enthusiasts and the press. A GTO should be a large(r) car, with seating for four (2+2), and it HAS to have a V8. Everyone was screaming because the '04s didn't have hood scoops (even though the early GTOs didn't either)...don't you think they would be going nuts if there weren't eight cylinders under the hood?

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the Sol (otherwise I wouldn't have one on order) and I am looking forward to a high output version. But I could never look at the Solstice and think "GTO". Just my opinion of course, and you know what they say about opinions... ;)
The GTO is a quality automobile - many of those who "bash" it are not bashing the car - just the decision to give it the name of an icon.

Opinions are what detroit wants to know about - it's what sells cars.

BTW - Every GTO from '64 on had hood scoops.

·
Registered
381 Posts
To some people, if it isn't an A-body, it can't be a GTO. I'm not THAT much of a purist, but I wouldn't like seeing a Solstice called a GTO. Heck, I'm not sure I'd like it to be called "Firebird", either, but that would be more fitting since the f-body was a smaller platform, and built as a performance car from the start. The A-body (for the whippersnappers out there) was the midsize family car.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
My only problem with the new GTO is that it was not designed the way any of the originals were, by taking a family coupe or convertible and then creating a supercar. More appropriate would have been using the defunct GP GTP coupe and make it rwd, just like the big boys in NASCAR, don't say it can't be done, or the G6. Notice that the Mustang GT500 reminiscient of Hertz is fully identifiable as a Mustang. Where are the shared body panels on the new GTO? Where is the ability 30-40 years hence to build a 2005 GTO clone out of donor cars. The Barret-Jackson auction had one such clone of a 60's GTO proudly labeled as such that brought OVER $100,000. Now that's the American way!

·
5,600 Posts
Old Goat said:
IMO, bad marketing. The original Goat was a family car that had huge horsepower, went like gangbusters and you could plow it down the highway for hours effortlessly. The new Goat is perfectly suited to the task, and handles well to boot. The new Goat needs nothing more than a classic new skin. (Is "classic new" an oxymoron?)

Because the GTO's looks are the only weakness it has. Otherwise, it is fast, handles well, has a great interior, seems very well built and is not priced too high for what you are getting.

·
Registered
251 Posts
jimbo said:
.... The new Goat needs nothing more than a classic new skin. (Is "classic new" an oxymoron?)

Because the GTO's looks are the only weakness it has. Otherwise, it is fast, handles well, has a great interior, seems very well built and is not priced too high for what you are getting.
:agree:

·
Registered
670 Posts
New versus old

I owned, all but too briefly, a 67 GTO which is still the love of my life(after my wife and kids of course). I had the chance to test drive a new GTO. It definetly has horsepower, but not near the comfort or room in the original. The horsepower in the new one is more manufactured oomph rather than raw power in my original with the 389 they put in late in 67. I certainly would not try to do anything in the backseat of the new version that was all too easily done in the 67. Having owned the original I just think the retro cars are not staying true to their grandparents. Also test drove a Dodge charger with the new hemi. It really can motor and the interior is as good as most luxury cars with lots of room and comfort. If the Sol is not coming for a while for my wife, I may buy the Charger for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts