Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals. About the Intercooler Replacement. I tried the local Chevy and Buick dealers, they both told me there were none available from the dealerships. Discontinued part. I tried 5 local parts stores including NAPA. No parts in stock…….discontinued part number. I tried the online guys including Wholesale GM Parts Online, RockAuto, Auto Parts Warehouse, etc. I tried the local junk yards, and had them search online……..nothing. I tried Craig’sList, ebay…..(there’s one listed for $695.00).
I contacted DMWorks…….they no longer carry an Intercooler for the GXP.
RPM Motorsports has one for $525.00 I can’t find any info as to difficulty of installation online.
Hahn has one for $700.00 but I don’t plan on doing any racing. Way more than I need.
Performance Autowerks had one for $550.00 It seems like the easiest install. May not need to remove the bumper cover, etc.
Dejon no longer make one for the GXP.
As far as I can tell, none of the aftermarkets are actually….bolt-on’ s. There is trimming to be done on the plastics, and mounting brackets need to be modified to fit properly.
There are a couple installation video’s on YouTube, but they are well equipped shops with experienced mechanics doing the work. And it ain’t exactly easy for them either……LOL.
The local dealers don’t want to work on cars more than 10 years old, and they don’t do mods.
I have had no luck finding any shops in my area, that are KAPPA experienced.
Who would I approach to try to repair the one I have ? It’s pretty crunched.
I don’t mean to sound like such a weiner. But I’m a 70 old guy with 5 back operations. But I love my ride and I’m not going to give it up. I’m probably going to have to find a way to do the work on this myself. But I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, either. I’ll be doing it in my garage with no lift, and limited equipment. I’m open to suggestions. So, if anyone has any recent Intercooler Experiences with say, the Performance Autowerks install and could give me their insights. I would greatly appreciate the advice. If anyone near me, in the Conejo Valley area of LA/Ventura County, California....that knows of a good mechanic....please give me a "heads up" !!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed the RPM Motorsports intercooler earlier this year, I didn't have to cut or modify anything on my car to get it to fit.
I would offer you my old stock intercooler, but it came off after 75k miles and looks pretty beat (bugs/rocks/autox cones took their toll)

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed the RPM Motorsports intercooler earlier this year, I didn't have to cut or modify anything on my car to get it to fit.
I would offer you my old stock intercooler, but it came off after 75k miles and looks pretty beat (bugs/rocks/autox cones took their toll)
Thanks for the info. Have you had any problems since the installation? Someone mentioned boost lag.....?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No boost lag. I have the Werks intercooler.
Thanks Znaut, how did it install? Any problems? I've been told that with the Werks you have to bend or reshape brackets and trim plastics.
I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not afraid to get in there and try either. I just have a bad back and don't know if I can get under the car and do it. If it's a straight bolt on I would try it.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I don't recall having to cut or bend anything with the Werks IC. You will need to remove the front fascia (nose of the car) but that sounds worse than it is.

Or put an ad up on this and the other board and buy a stock IC from someone that is upgrading because they do intend to compete in their car.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't recall having to cut or bend anything with the Werks IC. You will need to remove the front fascia (nose of the car) but that sounds worse than it is.

Or put an ad up on this and the other board and buy a stock IC from someone that is upgrading because they do intend to compete in their car.
Thanks Bill, I have a lead on a stock IC from a gentleman in Sacramento. He's hopefully shipping it to me today.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Thanks Bill, I have a lead on a stock IC from a gentleman in Sacramento. He's hopefully shipping it to me today.
Wrapping it up tight to survive the ride through UPS! :wink:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Znaut, how did it install? Any problems? I've been told that with the Werks you have to bend or reshape brackets and trim plastics.
I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not afraid to get in there and try either. I just have a bad back and don't know if I can get under the car and do it. If it's a straight bolt on I would try it.
Yeah a little bending and cutting. I'm not sure if you are "supposed" to have to do this but I didn't really see any other way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed one from eclipse aftermarket. Some cutting and welding made it work. Cost $230 and similar size/construction to Hahn and others.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Guys and Gals. About the Intercooler Replacement. I tried the local Chevy and Buick dealers, they both told me there were none available from the dealerships. Discontinued part. I tried 5 local parts stores including NAPA. No parts in stock…….discontinued part number. I tried the online guys including Wholesale GM Parts Online, RockAuto, Auto Parts Warehouse, etc. I tried the local junk yards, and had them search online……..nothing. I tried Craig’sList, ebay…..(there’s one listed for $695.00).
RPM Motorsports has one for $525.00 I can’t find any info as to difficulty of installation online.
Hahn has one for $700.00 but I don’t plan on doing any racing. Way more than I need.
Performance Autowerks had one for $550.00 It seems like the easiest install. May not need to remove the bumper cover, etc.
As far as I can tell, none of the aftermarkets are actually….bolt-on’ s. There is trimming to be done on the plastics, and mounting brackets need to be modified to fit properly.
There are a couple installation video’s on YouTube, but they are well equipped shops with experienced mechanics doing the work. And it ain’t exactly easy for them either……LOL.
The local dealers don’t want to work on cars more than 10 years old, and they don’t do mods.
I don’t mean to sound like such a weiner. But I’m a 70 old guy with 5 back operations. But I love my ride and I’m not going to give it up. I’m probably going to have to find a way to do the work on this myself. But I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, either. I’ll be doing it in my garage with no lift, and limited equipment. I’m open to suggestions. So, if anyone has any recent Intercooler Experiences with say, the Performance Autowerks install and could give me their insights. I would greatly appreciate the advice. If anyone near me, in the Conejo Valley area of LA/Ventura County, California....that knows of a good mechanic....please give me a "heads up" !!!
Sorry to here that had my car intercooler changed to an RAZZI have no clue bigger then old one had shop find for me. So can't you just take to your macanic or shop and let them find you 1 they have more resources then you do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to here that had my car intercooler changed to an RAZZI have no clue bigger then old one had shop find for me. So can't you just take to your macanic or shop and let them find you 1 they have more resources then you do.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The PAW unit is about as inexpensive as you'll find and fits well, but I think you'll need to pull the front end bodywork off to do it easily.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help in this Intercooler Replacement matter. I finally got a used replacement part from fellow member Gabriel Del Valle, thank you so much, Gabriel. I had it installed by a local shop and it seems to be running just fine again. I would still like to get any info on a local Kappa Repair place near me. I'd like to do a performance tune up and would appreciate some advice on where togo to get that done. Again, I'm in Westlake Village, about 30 miles from LA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts