Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

Looking to purchase one of these vehicles soon.!just can't decide which option i would rather go with. I like the curvy Classic look of the Solstice but the aggressive look of the Sky is impressive as well. I've noticed that the solstice gxp is is selling between 13-15k and the sky around 14-18k. Looking for no more than 50k miles on either vehicle. Would be prefer to stay below 15k. Any opinions on which way to go? I know I'm asking on a solstice forum lol..

Thanks

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Let me throw my $0.02 in.... First of all it's entirely up to you. Both cars are awesome! With that out of the way, I will say this. Back in the day when Saturn and Pontiac was still around, Saturns were much like Jeep Wranglers, they held their value very well. Now, with that said, I have been watching the price of both here in Michigan and both tend to be right around the same price. You WILL pay more for a yellow in either one. (About $2000 more!)

Now that we have your choice out of the way....somethings to look at. Is the car tuned? Does either have any aftermarket products on it?

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
I'll give you my opinion of why *I* went with a Sol... I just LOVE the old/retro lines of the Solstice far more than the Corvette-like (bland?) lines of the Sky.

Having said that, to me, the Sky's interior beats that of the Sol hands down. I just had to live with that to get the Sol's exterior.

So apart from those things the cars are identical in performance, function and features. That is, with one exception... the Sky has an external (ambient) temperature sensor and readout in the dash, that the Sol does not! Go figure.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'll give you my opinion of why *I* went with a Sol... I just LOVE the old/retro lines of the Solstice far more than the Corvette-like (bland?) lines of the Sky.

Having said that, to me, the Sky's interior beats that of the Sol hands down. I just had to live with that to get the Sol's exterior.
Yes - exactly!

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Both cars are GREAT. Each has impressive looks, and awesome performance. Details differ, but they are pretty much the same car. So, just go with the one you LIKE best. My experience has been that you will pay about $2000 more for a Sky over Solstice. Have fun.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
The main comment I hear when I drive the Sol by a crowd is: I like the looks of the SKY more. :willy:

Having said that I do like the Sol's curves better, it reminds me of the classic sports cars of the 50s,/60s.

Regardless, there's no right or wrong answer, they are both nice designs.

Can't decide? Here's the lovechild of both, the Skystice:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432586/2006-pontiac-solstice/photo-gallery/

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I'd recommend one of each:thumbs:
Wanted a Sky first, but got the Solstice GXP Coupe first.
Then 4 months later bought a Sky RL. Just had to have the best of both worlds!:yesnod: They both turn heads, which one turns yours first?
Enjoy the PermaGrin once you've acquired your new Kappa. :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
I'd recommend one of each:thumbs:
Wanted a Sky first, but got the Solstice GXP Coupe first.
Then 4 months later bought a Sky RL. Just had to have the best of both worlds!:yesnod: They both turn heads, which one turns yours first?
Enjoy the PermaGrin once you've acquired your new Kappa. :cool:

And I disagree with TS! I like both interiors but I prefer the Pontiac version because it is more . .. retro and appropriate for the car's image.

But opinions are very personal. Just in this case, TS is wrong. :devil:

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Rob loves the Sol's interior so much that he COMPLETELY ALTERED THE APPEARANCE OF EVERY SINGLE PIECE IN HIS!!

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
Not true! Well not totally true. I may have changed the surface appearance but I did not modify the general shape and configuration of each piece.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Not true! Well not totally true. I may have changed the surface appearance but I did not modify the general shape and configuration of each piece.
Off-topic... I have some sick pictures that you would enjoy and many others. Check for the thread soon! I'll edit it onto here when uploaded...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi guys and gals,

Looking to purchase one of these vehicles soon.!just can't decide which option i would rather go with. I like the curvy Classic look of the Solstice but the aggressive look of the Sky is impressive as well. I've noticed that the solstice gxp is is selling between 13-15k and the sky around 14-18k. Looking for no more than 50k miles on either vehicle. Would be prefer to stay below 15k. Any opinions on which way to go? I know I'm asking on a solstice forum lol..

Thanks
Welcome to the forum

Many would resent your correlation of the Pontiac to a Chevy. Step lightly grasshopper. :)
Chevy? I don't see any reference to a Chevy..:confused: :huh:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I agree with what twowheeladdict said, never cared much for the Sky interior. It is of course a personnel preference.

Love the Solstice, haven't driven much the last while though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Here's an idea, log onto the Miata message board and ask them whether they prefer the Sky over the Miata. Go ahead, guess the outcome (where’s MM when you need him?)... The point is, here it's going to be Solstice biased and over on the Sky forum it will likely be Sky biased. Just buy the one you like and I guarantee that you will like the one you prefer and nobody here is going to sway you one way of the other :rolleyes:

·
Registered
693 Posts
i prefer the sol myself...why not look around in your area and see what you find if you are not sure which you prefer.maybe a screaming deal will pop up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I couldn't decide either, so I looked at both of them. I also couldn't decide on the transmission, so I looked at both of them too. However, some colors and the non-turbo engine were deal-breakers. I was waiting for the right car and deal to come along, and it showed up as a black Sky Redline. I have yet to regret letting "fate" make the decision.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think part of the equation should be how long you plan on keeping the car. Because the Solstice already has more of a classic roadster look and although it has trademark Pontiac characteristics, it was a departure from other vehicles in the Pontiac lineup of the era. Because of this, I expect the design will hold up a little better into the distant future. The Sky represents mid-2000's edgy styling, which I predict may start to appear a little dated in a few years.

When the Sky was introduced (and even before that as the Vauxhall concept) I immediately liked the Sky better. Over time I prefer and appreciate the more classic and simple lines of the Sol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts