Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that have a subscription with Automotive News, check out the coming week issue, a removeable hardtop will be available in first quarter of 2007 model year, sorry folks, I don't have a subscription with them, that was all I could get out of the headline.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Excellent news! Thanks. I'll have to check out the article.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Big question is, will it retrofit to a 2006?

·
5,641 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
To those that have a subscription with Automotive News, check out the coming week issue, a removeable hardtop will be available in first quarter of 2007 model year, sorry folks, I don't have a subscription with them, that was all I could get out of the headline.

Pontiac will build hardtop Solstice

By Jason Stein and Robert Sherefkin
Automotive News / May 23, 2005

DETROIT -- General Motors will offer a removable hardtop on the Pontiac Solstice roadster in the first quarter of 2007, supplier and GM sources say.

The variant is part of GM's attempt to race the Solstice in Sports Car Club of America events. To race there, an automaker must have a production version of a hardtop vehicle.

During a panel discussion at the SAE World Congress in Detroit last month, Mark Reuss, executive director of GM's Performance Division, showed a picture of a car labeled the 2007 Solstice GT. The photo showed the car in coupe form with a sloping, fixed roof.

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson says the vehicle is still under study. "We're not ruling out a lot of possibilities," Hopson says. "We're going to explore some of those."

GM insiders say Pontiac would like to add a hardtop to its lineup to stoke enthusiasm for what already appears to be a popular vehicle.

As of Monday, May 16, Pontiac had 8,177 orders for the Solstice, GM says. Pontiac says it will start building the vehicle this summer.

Reuss said he envisions a hardtop Solstice competing for the title in the Stock B-class competition against the Mazda Miata or in the Grand-Am Cup ST-class racing circuit against the BMW 330 and Mazda RX-8.

The Solstice is built at GM's Wilmington, Del., plant on the Kappa rear-wheel-drive architecture.

Late next year GM will start building an Opel version of the Solstice in Wilmington. The Opel vehicle will be exported to Europe and will not be sold in the United States.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Solstices running with BMWs and RX-8s? Thats what i wanted to start hearing!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Sounds pretty interesting. Unless they make some major changes to the 2007 MY version I would guess it would work on previous versions too.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Is it just me or are they talking about two different options here.

1) A Removable hardtop for the Solstice
2) A Coupe version

It says that the picture had a "fixed roof". To me that sounds like it's not removable. :yesnod:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Late next year GM will start building an Opel version of the Solstice in Wilmington. The Opel vehicle will be exported to Europe and will not be sold in the United States.
Thank you!

Wow that's a piece of information for us in Germany! I will handle it as "unofficial" but maybe it is the truth.

Sorry for the stupid question but how reliable is this "Automotive news" magazine? (Sorry, I live in Germany and can't get it here.)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think they are talking about 2 different things.

A removable hardtop for the Roadster version would make it legal for SCCA SSB racing.

A coupe version (with a ton more HP) that could compete in Grand-Am ST class against the RX-8, NSX and BMW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Excellent news... however I prefer the convertible. Guess their paid 'advertisement' on The Apprentice has paid off with over 8,100 pre-orders!

·
Registered
163 Posts
No wonder GM sales are down they are backwards. Most auto manufactures build the coupe first then come out with the convertible. The convertible is for a small select market; the coupe is for a large market. If GM sells 20k convertibles then they should sell 50K coupe Solstices.
Better have the coupe later than not have one at all - at least GM knew of their big mistake and is rectifying it. Can't wait for the coupe.
:yesnod:

·
5,600 Posts
AJC said:
No wonder GM sales are down they are backwards. Most auto manufactures build the coupe first then come out with the convertible. The convertible is for a small select market; the coupe is for a large market. If GM sells 20k convertibles then they should sell 50K coupe Solstices.
Better have the coupe later than not have one at all - at least GM knew of their big mistake and is rectifying it. Can't wait for the coupe.
:yesnod:
Not at all out of the ordinary and coupes sell less units. BMW designed the convertible only Z3 before building the M-coupe and sold many more convertibles than coupes. The same will be true with the Porsche Cayenne, which again is a coupe version of the previous convertible Boxster.

Furthermore, it sounds like Pontiac will be offering a removable hardtop and not a fixed-roof coupe, as done for the Miata and the Honda S2000, which you will note do no offer coupe versions of their cars. Hardly a reason that Honda and Mazda "sales are down".

It remains to be seen if Pontiac offers a Solstice Coupe. I hope they do so I can own one of each, coupe and convertible, though I would still prefer a 2+2 Kappa (aka Nomad) over a coupe Solstice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
jimbo said:
The same will be true with the Porsche Cayenne, which again is a coupe version of the previous convertible Boxster.
The coupe-version of the Boxster is called "Cayman", the Cayenne is the SUV.

I think one should make a difference here. In principle I agree, that a coupe would sell better than a convertible. This is normally due to the fact that coupes ARE cheaper. It is easy to see, that a simple fixed roof is cheaper and easier to build than a convertible.

But not all manufacturers sell the coupes for less money. The Porsche Cayman for example will be more expensive than the Boxster! Of course it will have a bigger engine, modified brakes... blabla.

If you ask me, I'm a bit disappointed by Porsches decision to offer the Cayman at a higher price than the Boxster. An equally outfitted Cayman WOULD be cheaper than a Boxster and I'm sure it would sell better.

But it would make the car a "Peoples-Porsche" how our media called it and that is something Porsche doesn't want. Sad enough.

In terms of engineering it is the better way to design the convertible first. If the car works without a fixed roof, you can add one without the fear of making it less stable.

On the other hand, if you start with the coupe, you can't just cut the roof off and add a convertible top instead. Then you'll have to increase the stiffness of the chassis which can lead to major modifications.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The one negative I see in turning the Solstice into a fixed roof, is that the platform is overengineered for duty as a coupe, and that overenginnering has some inherent shortcomings in it. Such as the mayan temple gas tank location in the trunk.

A coupe would still have to deal with the lack of space for a trunk, so presumably that mayan temple would have to remain where it is. I am not sure you would sell far more coupes than roadsters considering similar shortcomings, or even any more coupes than roadsters.

That also is not accounting for the dwindling coupe market, which is getting rather small.

Don't get me wrong either, I think a coupe is a great idea, and I think it would be worthwhile for GM to offer one. There definately seems to be a niche for them.

If your a coupe fan, you want the coupe to appear first. However, if your a roadster fan, you are grateful that this is a purpose designed and built roadster, and not a hacked up coupe made to impersonate a roadster! :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts