Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! My name is Matt Remenar and I am the program manager for the Solstice hardtop at EDAG. We are pleased to announce release of the EDAG Sportwagon hardtop at the SEMA show next week. We have shown our original show car at the 2006 NAIAS (Detroit auto show) and the 2006 Geneva Auto show in Switzerland. The vehicle at the SEMA show will be much closer to production intent as far as the design of the inner structure is concerned. I have attached a pdf of our brochure that contains more info about the hardtop.

I'll cover some of the general details below.

The hardtop is engineered and designed to an automotive OEM level.

The outer shell and inner structure are constructed using a process named RTM (Resin Transfer Molding). The end result is a fiberglass mat reinforced resin part that is molded with a dark grey sandable primer gel coat. Since this is an injection molding process, the surface quality on both sides of the part is very good, especially compared to a traditional open mold fiberglass layup. The resulting part is very strong and dimensionally stable.

The glass is OEM automotive quality real glass.

The headliner is constructed using OEM quality automotive materials.

We use automotive grade (coated for rust resistance) fasteners and bonded in steel reinforcements at all attaching points.

The hardtop should weigh approx. 115 lbs ( the decklid as removed weighs about 42 lbs)

The production deck lid is removed and the soft top can be stowed in the vehicle or removed completely. By removing the soft top completely, the storage is greatly increased, but the removal is a bit technically challenging and probably best left to a professional. The old jokes that getting it out isn't too tough, but the correct installation is the fun part.

We will start production in January 2007.

The price is $2499 plus taxes and shipping from Detroit, Michigan.

We will soon be taking orders at www.edag-us.com At this time, people will be able to fill out a form with their contact info so that we may provide more info as the start of production nears.

I am sure that there will be a number of detail items that are not completely covered above or in the attached pdf. Please feel free to reply to this thread with any questions and I will reply as quickly as I can.

A quick word about EDAG. We are a global transportation engineering company with offices in over 15 countries around the world. We specialize in provide engineering services to primarily the automotive and aerospace industries, but are active in all facets of transportation engineering.

This is an early annoucement for the members and visitors to the Solstice forum. When visiting www.edag-us.com (the website for our US office) it currently links to the site of our parent company in Germany (www.edag.com). Our US specific website featuring the Solstice hardtop and soon to come Sky hardtop should be up and running on October 31st.

If you are attending SEMA, please feel free to stop by booth 51267 (near Overhaulin') and say hi and take a closer look at our Solstice.

Thanks!
Matt
EDAG

Attachments

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Matt,

could you discuss the connection points more....particularily in the back and along the sides since the clamshell is removed....and it also looks like it only comes primed..did you consider offering it painted as well?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Matt,

could you discuss the connection points more....particularily in the back and along the sides since the clamshell is removed....and it also looks like it only comes primed..did you consider offering it painted as well?
Hi PAO,
The mounting strategy at the forward end uses pins at the A-pillar receiver like the soft top and a J shaped hook that is threaded on the long end that hooks around the same attachment in the header as the rotating latch. A self locking nut is then tightened (against a bonded in steel reinforcing plate in the roof) to control the relationship between the header and the forward edge of the roof.

The mounting strategy at the rearward end involves removing the clamshell (disconnecting the cables for the butress latches and removing the 4 bolts at the hinges), installing a hinge hold down bracket (also provides a firm mounting plane for the rear end of the roof) and then we have a pair of small brackets that attach to the structure of the roof and go through the attachment holes for the clamshell alignment bumpers that are almost in line with the butress latch points.

The roof seals off to the seal that you see when you open the clamshell, so that area stays dry as in production.

We are in the process of putting together all of the documentation along with pictures for the installation of the roof. I plan on having this available on the web site in the near future. This will be the same documentation that will come with the roof. I feel that there is value in letting our potential customers see exactly what is involved in the installation. In some cases a customer may decide to have a body shop install the roof instead of doing it themselves. It is a two person job to install the roof and is not technically difficult for someone with a modest level of experience working on cars.

The paint question is a good one. We have looked at it both ways. Some of the problems with shipping it in color that we discovered were the following: Matching the color of a one year old car, custom colors, and the added cost of stocking multiple colors. Our team had some very lively discussions on this topic. By selling it in primer, one of the color options that is easily achieved is painting the roof outer in silver to match the A-pillars and roof header and painting the surfaces that sit next to the quarter panels and rear facia the normal body color. We have this combination on a Mysterious Sol and it looks pretty cool. Also, the custom paint guys can get pretty creative with something like this.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments and questions.

Cheers!
Matt

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nope. I would rather see a coupe type where the trunk is still useable, not a wagon type...

But it is designed very well, and will function well for those who need the space.
:agree: :agree: :agree:
very cool though

·
Registered
914 Posts
While I was in Chuck Mallett's shop, he brought up your site on the computer and showed it to me. I believe he is going to build a Mallett with the hardtop for a future show. It is an interesting concept for those who tire of open top motoring.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I was in Chuck Mallett's shop, he brought up your site on the computer and showed it to me. I believe he is going to build a Mallett with the hardtop for a future show. It is an interesting concept for those who tire of open top motoring.

We have spoke with Chuck recently and are interested with working with him on a future project. I think it would be fun. He is really doing some amazing things with the Kappa platform.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must say, I do like it. I especially liked the reference to the old Safari wagons from Pontiac tradition. Well done!
Thank you for your kind comments! It is a bit of a controversial design. Some folks are purists, some are all about custom, some are in between. I think that it looks even better in person. I think that the pictures that we have don't quite do it justice.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hey Matt, silly question...Can the Sky top mount to the Solstice? I assume it can, curious what that would look like. I like the look of the "hardtop" on the Sky!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Matt, silly question...Can the Sky top mount to the Solstice? I assume it can, curious what that would look like. I like the look of the "hardtop" on the Sky!
Hi Pterosaur,
You have a good question. Although the Sol and the Sky are based upon the Kappa platform, the rear quarter panels and the rear facia are different shapes, so unfortunately, they don't fit both cars.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
352 Posts
I dig the photo in your signature.

Not 100% sure about the wagon type hard top but the car in your photograph in your signature looks dam fine.

Look forward to seeing your product in person.

Thanks and good luck

JB

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Matt, it looks great. You will get naysayers taht think you have ruined a roadster but it would be very practical for year-round motoring where th eweather does not cooperate. Personally I would have liked to see the rear pillars in body color instead of the glass appearing to wrap all the way around. Of course for next year you'll have the sloped fastback of the concept as an added item. The roof for the Sky is absolutely fantastic. It makes the Z4 coupe look like yesterday's news.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi folks,
Thanks for all of the kind comments. This has been a fun project to work on. The Sky roof is in the development stages at the moment and we will have more info coming on that in the months to come.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi folks,
Thanks for all of the kind comments. This has been a fun project to work on. The Sky roof is in the development stages at the moment and we will have more info coming on that in the months to come.

Cheers,
Matt
I do like the top, I'm sure it will sell. Are there any interior pictures available?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'll take one, and i'll take the coupe type top also when it comes out. Should be cool to switch off between all 3, no top, coupe and station wagon. Will you offer a hoist also?
Great work and thanks for supporting the solstice community!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I'll take one, and i'll take the coupe type top also when it comes out. Should be cool to switch off between all 3, no top, coupe and station wagon. Will you offer a hoist also?
Great work and thanks for supporting the solstice community!
Nissan Pulsar NX, but was never a complete top down, just different rear configs.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Great!!!!!

Every time I look at this I like it even more :yesnod: .

I am very close to getting in line, :skep:
but will continue to look in for a while longer :toetap: .

NOT TO LONG though :drool: .

1 - 20 of 113 Posts