Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
XM/Onstar

Matt-

A question about those that have the antenna on the rear shell.
What if anything is being done so that we can still use these services?
Jumper harness to be supplied?

·
Registered
9 Posts
How dare you

Hi folks! My name is Matt Remenar and I am the program manager for the Solstice hardtop at EDAG. We are pleased to announce release of the EDAG Sportwagon hardtop at the SEMA show next week. We have shown our original show car at the 2006 NAIAS (Detroit auto show) and the 2006 Geneva Auto show in Switzerland. The vehicle at the SEMA show will be much closer to production intent as far as the design of the inner structure is concerned. I have attached a pdf of our brochure that contains more info about the hardtop.

I'll cover some of the general details below.

The hardtop is engineered and designed to an automotive OEM level.

The outer shell and inner structure are constructed using a process named RTM (Resin Transfer Molding). The end result is a fiberglass mat reinforced resin part that is molded with a dark grey sandable primer gel coat. Since this is an injection molding process, the surface quality on both sides of the part is very good, especially compared to a traditional open mold fiberglass layup. The resulting part is very strong and dimensionally stable.

The glass is OEM automotive quality real glass.

The headliner is constructed using OEM quality automotive materials.

We use automotive grade (coated for rust resistance) fasteners and bonded in steel reinforcements at all attaching points.

The hardtop should weigh approx. 115 lbs ( the decklid as removed weighs about 42 lbs)

The production deck lid is removed and the soft top can be stowed in the vehicle or removed completely. By removing the soft top completely, the storage is greatly increased, but the removal is a bit technically challenging and probably best left to a professional. The old jokes that getting it out isn't too tough, but the correct installation is the fun part.

We will start production in January 2007.

The price is $2499 plus taxes and shipping from Detroit, Michigan.

We will soon be taking orders at www.edag-us.com At this time, people will be able to fill out a form with their contact info so that we may provide more info as the start of production nears.

I am sure that there will be a number of detail items that are not completely covered above or in the attached pdf. Please feel free to reply to this thread with any questions and I will reply as quickly as I can.

A quick word about EDAG. We are a global transportation engineering company with offices in over 15 countries around the world. We specialize in provide engineering services to primarily the automotive and aerospace industries, but are active in all facets of transportation engineering.

This is an early annoucement for the members and visitors to the Solstice forum. When visiting www.edag-us.com (the website for our US office) it currently links to the site of our parent company in Germany (www.edag.com). Our US specific website featuring the Solstice hardtop and soon to come Sky hardtop should be up and running on October 31st.

If you are attending SEMA, please feel free to stop by booth 51267 (near Overhaulin') and say hi and take a closer look at our Solstice.

Thanks!
Matt
EDAG

Matt

The Solstice is one of the best looking modern sportscar, so why spoil it? Either you like a sportscar (and accept the disadvantage of the little or not existing trunk) or if you need a "spacecar" then there are much better options.

SwissSol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Choices!! Choices!! More Choices!! Please

Matt

The Solstice is one of the best looking modern sportscar, so why spoil it? Either you like a sportscar (and accept the disadvantage of the little or not existing trunk) or if you need a "spacecar" then there are much better options.

SwissSol
EDAG
Keep moving!!!:yesnod: Keep moving!!!:yesnod:

IGNOR the one behind the curtian. :ack: :willy:

They are already OK with what they have. :yawn:

Many more of us want the option of MORE. :glol: :drool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't like the bubble back window. I would love a hardtop but I don't want my car to look like a mini station wagon.:(
I want a hardtop that resembles the convertible top.:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like it. If I had one of these I'd put it on for the Ohio winter and take it off in the spring. I love the looks of the Sol obviously but I also like the way this top makes it look different. That will be more of a plus when there are Sols and Skys everywhere.

Personally, I like this design to a hardtop that mimics the convertable looks. If I were to spend $2,500 and take the trouble of installing (and removing) it I'd want it to be very noticable.

Good job guys.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I may have missed something. Are they pre painted?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sorry, still can't get into this station wagon thang, but something that looked like the coupe prototype I could sink my teeth into (FASTback, not family wagon).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi folks!
Thanks for all of the responses. I will answer the questions as best I can.

Wizzard- I'll keep you guys in the loop on start of production. We are setting up our production facility to get going in January 07.

Tweety- We are working with a couple of suppliers to provide jumper harnesses for the XM and OnStar as options. We will also provide a ground plane (you electrical engineering guys will know about these) to bond to the underside of the roof and instructions for drilling the holes. The location of the holes can be up to the owner as we have had a number of people talk to us about mounting roof racks for bikes, surfboards, snow boards, skiis, etc.

SwissSol- Some people are purists, some are all about custom, some are in between. Tschuess, Ciao, Adieu- depending on what part of Switzerland you represent.

Curly- GO TIGERS!!! Our guys had the Solstice Safari theme (Pontiac Safari from the late 1950's) in mind during the design, hence the sport wagon look. This was originally created as a styling concept and show car. Our company does a few of these every year . We had some very positive feedback from the 2006 Detroit Auto show and the 2006 Geneva Auto show and decided to build a business case to see if we wanted to get into the aftermarket. EDAG is a global OEM based heavy engineering company and this is our first move (with the Sostice and Sky hardtops) into aftermarket in the US. If things go well, more interesting aftermarket items are to follow. Since we are a heavy engineering company, we will focus on items that are going to be something that not everyone else is doing. We want to build well engineered products for people that are looking for we engineered products.

NeHigh- Your description is one of the scenarios of what we had in mind when we were designing this hardtop. Someone who wants to use the car in the winter and not subject the soft top to the winter salt on the roads. The Kappa platform is well balanced and suitable for summer and winter driving (with the correct tires) thanks to GM Engineering- Steve Padilla is the guy that we all owe a beer.

firedup- We had many, many heated discussions concerning painted vs. primed. When we really started looking at all of the options and when we started painting our show cars we ran into many details that could really be left best to a professional painter. Here are a couple of examples. In the rear hatch opening, the area just inboard of the quarter glass should be gloss black. This gives a really seamless appearance of the glass wrapping around the car. Above this line, it makes sense to make the color the same as the roof outer. Think about looking down on the hatch opening from the roof outer and letting your eyes slide across the gap onto the hatch outer-- most people would like to see the same color as the roof outer. Now think about the color that you would want to see down at the deck lid level- matching the quarters and rear facias. You are good to go, if you want to paint it the same color as the roof outer. We have a Mysterious Sol with a Silver roof at our place right now. It looks really good with a Silver outer, gloss black in the hatch seal areas that match up with the quarter glass and Mysterious on the surfaces that lead into the quarters and rear facia. This is not something that we could easily (read cost effectively) do for each and every color. We want to be able to ship a roof very quickly after the order is place instead of making the customer wait 2-3 weeks for us to sequence a specific paint code.

Now, if you speak with some of the professional custom paint folks in your area, I'm sure that they can get incredibly creative...

Cheers,
Matt

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Matt, you are wise to ship them primered and ready for topcoat. GM does the same with body parts such as the spolier and and lower plactic cladding on other cars. Only a few items are available painted and only in a few colors not all. As soon a syou would start painting you would never have the right one, or you would have to have 7 different ones ready all the time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't like the bubble back window. I would love a hardtop but I don't want my car to look like a mini station wagon.:(
I want a hardtop that resembles the convertible top.:)
I have to agree with curlylew66 on the bubble back look. (Nice work though).

Hey Matt, when will a hardtop that resembles the convertible top be available?

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not trying to dis a new vendor, but I wouldn't have it if you paid me $2500. Guess I'm a purist. With all the negative feedback earlier this year when it first appeared, I still can't believe this thing is in production.
After paint, shipping cost, labor, etc., this is an expensive mod that IMO destroys the look of the car as well as negates the use of one of the cars best features . . . the convertible top! I utilize mine over 300 days/year. We paid extra for this feature and we are all paying higher rates for the privilege of driving a convertible.
For just a little more green I could buy a turbo kit!
If I'd wanted a station wagon, I would have bought a 2006 MAZDA6s SPORT WAGON with a 3.0 L six cylinder engine for thousands less.
Going to take my :chill: :chill: :chill: now!
Good luck selling these, someone will buy them.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
etiquette towards vendors

Please refrain from throwing cold water on this vendor's product. From the looks of it a great deal of design and engineering was involved. They would not be bringing it to market if they didn't feel there was a market for it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but purchase of it is all voluntary.

Normally we just delete the negative posts in a thread like this but if I just zapped them nobody would know what I was talking about. The vendors pay to support the site and all the membership benefits from it. A product announcement thread is not the place to say something negative about the product(s).

·
Registered
711 Posts
The top design does make it look like a wagon and a little like the Chevy Nomad concept from a few years ago. Anyway, welcome to the forum and great job on the top. Not my personal style but I'm sure there are plenty others who will be interested in the extra storage capacity that your top provides. :cheers:

Can you make a sealed hard top similar to the Z0K Solstice?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I like it...

I've liked the "wagon" looks for many years and I like this new hardtop idea, but since my Solstice is a "fair weather" convertable car I will keep it as such and go with a great looking wagon like the Magnum for my wagon driving.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Please refrain from throwing cold water on this vendor's product. From the looks of it a great deal of design and engineering was involved. They would not be bringing it to market if they didn't feel there was a market for it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but purchase of it is all voluntary.

Normally we just delete the negative posts in a thread like this but if I just zapped them nobody would know what I was talking about. The vendors pay to support the site and all the membership benefits from it. A product announcement thread is not the place to say something negative about the product(s).
Just to make sure (sometimes you have to spell it out), I was not trying to dis the vendor, I just don't like it, plain and simple (I know, I used the "ugly stick" thang in the old thread).

From what I can see it looks like it was well done and I am sure that many will be very happy with one. It appears to be a quality product with sincere vendor support.

BUT (hint hint) the prototype coupe style would be so cool.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What happens if you have an accident and the glass on the top breaks? How hard is it to get replacement?

The sky top looks great! I cant wait to get one for my sky :cool:
Will you be showing the sky top at sema?

Thanks,
Marco

·
Registered
265 Posts
i like it..

reminds me of the jaguar/herse from the movie harold & maude. saw that movie as a kid and always wanted that car.

i like it, but i don't think i'll be buying one at $2500, but it's nice to see someone make a mod like this.

as for all the people trashing it, ok. you don't like it. don't buy one. no one is forcing you to. jeeze. no reason for you to trash it. just move along.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Our guys had the Solstice Safari theme (Pontiac Safari from the late 1950's) in mind during the design, hence the sport wagon look. This was originally created as a styling concept and show car. Our company does a few of these every year . We had some very positive feedback from the 2006 Detroit Auto show and the 2006 Geneva Auto show and decided to build a business case to see if we wanted to get into the aftermarket. EDAG is a global OEM based heavy engineering company and this is our first move (with the Sostice and Sky hardtops) into aftermarket in the US. If things go well, more interesting aftermarket items are to follow. Since we are a heavy engineering company, we will focus on items that are going to be something that not everyone else is doing. We want to build well engineered products for people that are looking for we engineered products.
Definitely on my wish list. I have always liked the long roof motif, but this one throws together two concepts that I particularly love:
  1. The Pontiac Safari wagon
  2. The wrap around glass from the Saturn Curve concept and indeed from previous Pontiac wagons from the 60's on.
Well done! I do want one, and I'll be it looks very cool in black.

Thanks again. This looks just super! I echo the sentiment by scottjl, that as a kid, I used to sketch cars that looked just like this! :thumbs:

21 - 40 of 114 Posts