Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Being a Michigan resident, I too am interested in some type of hard top. Unfortunately, the Buttress design makes it VERY hard to have a coupe looking top and maintain the current look of the car. Matt's design is one very good compromise, but obviously, not everyone is going to like the changes necessary to provide trunk access.

So here's an Idea... what about a HYBRID? A hard top with cloth buttresses? or even some type of swing away buttress that would move out of the way to allow trunk opening? The main top would look like a cloth top that had the buttresses chopped off. The buttress itself would hide the hinge that permitted it to swing out of the way for trunk access.

Matt, any chance EDAG would like to take that one on as well?
package,

Have you been sneaking peeks at my PM's to Matt? ;) :D :lol:

He's been kind enough to listen to 2-3 of my ideas along that very line. :yesnod: I'm hoping something comes of it. :)

--Chemist

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
At the moment, we are only planning on offering the current Hardtop, but we are always sketching ideas.
Ooh ... allow me to throw out a plug for that coupe mockup that a couple others also mentioned ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2689

Come out with something that looks just like that and I'm in. I'm not a big fan of the wagon look I'm afraid, but it's always nice to see more options out there ... keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
package,

Have you been sneaking peeks at my PM's to Matt? ;) :D :lol:

He's been kind enough to listen to 2-3 of my ideas along that very line. :yesnod: I'm hoping something comes of it. :)

--Chemist
Hey Chemist!
I thought that you had enlisted package to help your idea along! Let me work on getting the current Solstice and Sky roofs launched! Once those are in production, the serious work will start concerning the next project. EDAG is a big company, but the aftermarket project end is still small at the moment...

Keep bouncing those ideas around and keep in touch!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just won't work

I'm sorry folks, but this will not sell. Dec. 4th 2006, mark it down.......I applaud the design, the concept, and even the execution in bringing it to market, but.......it just doesn't have a buyer base or a practicality to it. The Solstice is a second car, if not a third vehicle in most households.Utility is reserved for those. In my opinion, just a basic hardtop would be best(for inclement weather) ala the Miata......Blackwood and Aztec will be delighted with the company on the island of misfit toys......How's this for an idea, how about a regular hardtop with an integrated moonroof......keep it under 1200 bucks and whalah, something that would sell....EDAG shame on you for this one ....peace

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Well, he's sold 42 so far including mine. The beauty to this kit, is that its not permanent. So 2 days a week you go as a stationwagon, then you switch to the hardtop coupe, then you go roofless, etc. This is not a permanent kit. Its interchangeable.

Theres no reason to bash Edag. That how we scare manufacturers off this site.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I bet a ceiling based pulley system for quickly lifting the top straight up and storing it at the top of your garage wouldn't be too hard to build.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I'm sorry folks, but this will not sell. Dec. 4th 2006, mark it down.......I applaud the design, the concept, and even the execution in bringing it to market, but.......it just doesn't have a buyer base or a practicality to it. The Solstice is a second car, if not a third vehicle in most households.Utility is reserved for those. In my opinion, just a basic hardtop would be best(for inclement weather) ala the Miata......Blackwood and Aztec will be delighted with the company on the island of misfit toys......How's this for an idea, how about a regular hardtop with an integrated moonroof......keep it under 1200 bucks and whalah, something that would sell....EDAG shame on you for this one ....peace
pls dont come in on your first post on this forum and bash a supporting vendor...these folks have been invaluable to this forum and to owners interested in their products...you might not approve or desire the product..but no need to put down the vendor for providing it to those, no matter how few they may be, who what it........cheers :chill:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I bet a ceiling based pulley system for quickly lifting the top straight up and storing it at the top of your garage wouldn't be too hard to build.
Brentil, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a mercedes one modified to
work.
pls dont come in on your first post on this forum and bash a supporting vendor...these folks have been invaluable to this forum and to owners interested in their products...you might not approve or desire the product..but no need to put down the vendor for providing it to those, no matter how few they may be, who what it........cheers :chill:
Well said!

·
Registered
2 Posts
going with the trunk access idea why not just intergrate the roof into the clamshell as one piece. kinda like the top tuner hard top but with teh zok style top. this way you just unlatch the top in the cabin just like the soft top, push the release buton and teh whole thing goes up as one???

either that or a replacement clam shell??

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
going with the trunk access idea why not just intergrate the roof into the clamshell as one piece. kinda like the top tuner hard top but with teh zok style top. this way you just unlatch the top in the cabin just like the soft top, push the release buton and teh whole thing goes up as one???

either that or a replacement clam shell??
Hi azn2nr,
We looked at something similar to that at during the early stages of the development. We decided that for structural and sealing reasons, we really wanted to keep the forward outboard locating pins that go into the receivers in the windshield header the same as the production soft top. Given the angle that they go in, a rotation point at the back of the car (clamshell hinges) won't allow the pins to disengage.

Glad to see some creative people working through ideas- that is what makes these kind of projects really fun!

Cheers!
Matt

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Hi azn2nr,
We looked at something similar to that at during the early stages of the development. We decided that for structural and sealing reasons, we really wanted to keep the forward outboard locating pins that go into the receivers in the windshield header the same as the production soft top. Given the angle that they go in, a rotation point at the back of the car (clamshell hinges) won't allow the pins to disengage.

Glad to see some creative people working through ideas- that is what makes these kind of projects really fun!

Cheers!
Matt
Wouldn't a latching mechanism that made those pins float forward when latching and rearward on unlatching have worked? Could have been a couple of linkages attached to the pins concealed by the headliner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Wouldn't a latching mechanism that made those pins float forward when latching and rearward on unlatching have worked? Could have been a couple of linkages attached to the pins concealed by the headliner.
Hey GO,
We hadn't really thought about trying to hinge the entire roof. The heights when open made it seem impractical to us. Although, if someone were to look at a design like that, the retracting pins would be a good way to go.

Cheers!
Matt

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Great News!- Detroit Autoshow and taking orders very soon!

Hi folks!

The press days, supplier days and the black tie event will be next week at the Detroit Auto Show at Cobo Center in Detroit. We will be in the main lobby just outside of the show along with Rousch, Saleen and others. The best part is that YOU DON'T NEED A TICKET TO ENTER THE MAIN LOBBY!! If you are in town, please stop by and see our yellow Saturn Sky hardtop and an interesting version of the Solstice hardtop. We will also be displaying the Audi Q7 that we built for SEMA. I will post pictures next week of the cars once they have been on display.

Also we will be taking orders very soon! Our website guys and the bank guys are getting the final touch set up on the ordering system. We will have pictures of the Sky hardtop prototype and more updated production info as well! Also, we have moved our site to a new address! Please check out www.EdagHardtop.com. The site can still be accessed from www2.edag-us.com or www.edag-us.com and clicking on the link.

More soon as it develops- things are moving fairly quickly at the moment!

Cheers!
Matt

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Pics added in the Vendors gallery

Hi folks!
I have added some pics of the Sky prototype hardtype and the Detroit auto show Solstice police car in the Vendor section of the gallery.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do have to admit it's growing on me. Well designed site too :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi folks!

The press days, supplier days and the black tie event will be next week at the Detroit Auto Show at Cobo Center in Detroit. We will be in the main lobby just outside of the show along with Rousch, Saleen and others. The best part is that YOU DON'T NEED A TICKET TO ENTER THE MAIN LOBBY!! If you are in town, please stop by and see our yellow Saturn Sky hardtop and an interesting version of the Solstice hardtop. We will also be displaying the Audi Q7 that we built for SEMA. I will post pictures next week of the cars once they have been on display.

Also we will be taking orders very soon! Our website guys and the bank guys are getting the final touch set up on the ordering system. We will have pictures of the Sky hardtop prototype and more updated production info as well! Also, we have moved our site to a new address! Please check out www.EdagHardtop.com. The site can still be accessed from www2.edag-us.com or www.edag-us.com and clicking on the link.

More soon as it develops- things are moving fairly quickly at the moment!

Cheers!
Matt

Matt,

I was at show and went from one end of main lobby to the other and could
not find your display. Also went to basement and no luck.
You would think it would be hard to miss a 3 car display but maybe I did???

turbofreak

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts
turbofreak : Matt, I was at show and went from one end of main lobby to the other and could not find your display. Also went to basement and no luck.
Check their post again. They were there for the press and vendor days. Their last day at the show was last Thursday. Some co-workers went, and brought me pictures of the Sky version, but not the Sol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Main lobby

Matt,

I was at show and went from one end of main lobby to the other and could
not find your display. Also went to basement and no luck.

turbofreak
Hi turbofreak,
The EDAG booth was in the main lobby. Our booth was closed on Friday I will post a couple of pics of our booth on Monday when I get back to the office. Lot's of things going on at that show!

Cheers!
Matt

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Pics added in the Vendors gallery

Hi turbofreak,
The EDAG booth was in the main lobby. Our booth was closed on Friday I will post a couple of pics of our booth on Monday when I get back to the office. Lot's of things going on at that show!

Cheers!
Matt
Hi turbofreak!
I finally posted a pic of the Detroit Autoshow booth in the Vendor's gallery along with more pics of both the Sol and Sky hardtops.

Cheers,
Matt

81 - 100 of 114 Posts