Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried cleaning their headlight lenses with toothpaste? My neighbor uses it on his mustang and said it works better than anything he's tried, but wanted to check on here first. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
I bought a polishing kit online. It has several grades of sandpaper and polish plus a pad that fits any hand drill. It worked ok on mine.

Tooth paste will work but depending on how rough your lenses are it may take a long time to be effective.

I also found that automotive rubbing compound worked well.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Again, it depends on the condition of your lenses. Start with fine grit and work up if that does not do the job.

One thing that we discovered when we recently did a friends headlights was that the lenses were scratched on the INSIDE. Not sure how that happened but once we painted the chrom trim to gloss black to match his car the internal scratches were very obvious.

My recommendation is once you get the outside polished, be prepared for the potential of interior imprefections. The lenses are easy to remove and polishing the inside is relatively simple to do, but hopefully you will not have any to deal with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your help Rob! Our lenses aren't in that bad of shape, more hazing than anything.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
The 3M kit is VERY good - just add a rechargeable drill/driver. Available in many places from $15-$25; Wallymart has it at the cheaper end. I've used my (one) kit on several cars now :)

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Laura - many people have had success just using a clay bar similar to what they'd use on their paint. As Rob and others have stated (just as with your paint) start with the least agressive polish or treatment and work your way up.

The 3M kit soup references above has had good reviews from many people.

Just remember, patience and time get you the best results.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Yeah, I should add that the 3M kit has three levels of abrasive, the tan discs (400 grit IIRC) the white 800 and the grey foam 1500. If your headlights aren't bad, you might want to start with the 800 (or even the 1500) rather than the tan discs. Use plenty of water!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I use just use a buffing wheel with a light cut pad and Meguiar's Swirl X.....works like a charm! Followed by a hefty coat of wax.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
With lightly faded or pitted covers an hour with some polish will get it done. Sadly I have seen units that require a lot of aggressive effort to get down to a level surface.

Fading / light film = minor polish
Some pitting = sanding down to the bottom of the pits, then polishing back up to an optically smooth surface
Deep scratches and pitting = aggressive sanding down to the smooth surface and then polish

As has been said, do an inspection then start with the least invasive method you can and go from there.

Even working with a very mild abrasive you will get there eventually, it just may take a long time. The reason that there are multiple levels of abraisive in the kits is to cover all cases.

I found this video helpful

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
i used PlastX. Works on everything including the radio face. Dowes a good job and cheap.
Beat me to it. Same here. Same results. I used it on my Jimmy, though. The lenses are still clear and brite on BellaV. Just some sand pits here and there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use the toothpaste first since its essentially free. If you are not satisfied with the results, then move on to the kits mentioned. There are YouTube vids created by the companies on how to apply them, step by step. I have personally used the Meguiar's heavy duty kit and it worked great. The second to final step in the kit I bought is applying PlastX, which is included in the kit. You can buy it individually without the kit and just use that like someone just posted. 3m makes a great one also. I believe Consumer Reports did reviews on a few different kits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts