Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What makes us want to buy the Solstice.
The first time I saw a Sports Car,When I was a kid, You daydream about
Driving one,Hoping someday you will grow up and have one. My hole life I have wanted one, Seeing the Solstice,the first time ,I new My daydream would be .
No dream any longer, I have been Reborn back to when I was a kid.Hope you have same feelings I have.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Solstice at first was unfortunately a car I was settling for because I couldn't afford the cars I really wanted. However over time I've changed my outlook and become very glad to have not purchased any of the other cars. I feel the Solstice is going to be one awesome car, and I'll actually be proud to own American, and proud to own a Pontiac.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It's just something about the Solstice. I love the way it looks, and I'm hoping I'll love the way it feels to drive one.

I have never had a specific need to drive a convertible, roadster, two-seat sports car, etc. But I saw the Solstice back when it was a concept, and knew that when it came out I would buy one if I was able.

Fate has manipulated my life such that at this time in my life, I am ready and able to buy one, and so I am. :cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wasn't interested in a Harley either, but when I saw the V-Rod I had to have one, and do. Pretty much the same for the Solstice, especially at its remarkably reasonable price. After owning several different sports cars my ultimate goal was to some day own a roadster. The introduction of the Sol sped up the time frame a little! :)

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I’m 60 years old and doing a complete circle back to my roots. I had a 1958 Corvette and a 1960 Corvette back in my teens. My girlfriends and I had a ball riding around with the top down in the summer time with the wind blowing through our hair listening to The Beach Boys.
I don’t have much hair to blow around any more and the young girls stopped chasing me around long ago, but my wife and I will cruise into our golden years in this new toy. :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My first and only sports car was an MG Midget during my university days. But I always wanted something bigger and with nicer lines. To me the Solstice invokes memories of the racing sports cars of the fifties, C and D-type Jags,etc. Nice thing is with modern bumper technology, the looks don't have to be spoiled by tacking on bumpers as an afterthought.

Our youngest is heading of to University this fall and my wife and I plan to do some road trips, once we figure out how to pack light that is.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I've wanted to buy a Solstice since the original concept was shown at the 2002 NAIAS. It has been a LONG time to wait to be able to get one too! :willy: It is in the design. I just love the look. The fact they actually kept the price as low as they did is a plus, but I'd pay more for it too (as long as its equipment level was comensurate with price).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I've wanted to buy a Solstice since the original concept was shown at the 2002 NAIAS. It has been a LONG time to wait to be able to get one too! :willy: It is in the design. I just love the look. The fact they actually kept the price as low as they did is a plus, but I'd pay more for it too (as long as its equipment level was comensurate with price).
DITTO>>I too saw it at NAIAS 2002...even though mine priced out over 26k... DONE DEAL!! :cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
My dad has 2 MGB's and I feel in love with those cars. This is actually going to be my 2nd Pontiac. When I saw the Spring 05 issue of Pontiac Performance I knew that I had to have one. The price only made it that much more attractive. However, I felt that if I didn't get one of the 1st 1000 the dealer markup would put it just beyond my price point. So I went at like 5 in the morning at my dealer and hung around until EOP started.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Why I am buying it [long version]

For me, I have always owned sports cars. But, I hate the "lost cost" of depreciation on expensive names. I try to buy the best performance I can for the money. I have owned Fiat X-19s (no laughing) and raced them to many trophies because they were so well designed it was easy and cheap to make them winners. I have owned, and still own, a camaro. For my $, my 1998 Cam has the best performance to cost ratio out there! (until now)

I got to drive BMW Z-3 at a dealer event a while back and thought it was the worst piece of sh*t I had ever driven priced at $41k. I also drove one of their 3 series on a competion course. It sucked too. I told the BMW rep when I finished that I would go out to the lot and get my camaro (that cost just barely over 1/3 as much) and kick his *ss on the course. My camaro out handles, out corners and even out accelerates that $45k BMW and I bought it for $17k!!!

I have driven Ferraris, Panteras, Corvettes and Porsches over the years that belonged to friends and NOT ONE OF THEM ever tempted me to spend "the big bucks"! I will say I almost bought a Nissan 350Z last year and still ponder the choice.

Now, all that said... Why am I buying a Sol? SIMPLE! I think that it is going to have the price to performance ratio I look for and it is just flat *ss gorgeous!! It makes the Boxster, Audi TT, Miata and any other roadster you want to name look like Range Rovers!!

SERIOUS CONGRATULATIONS TO PONTIAC!!!

I hoped to get an EOP car, but missed due to the problem. I still hope (futilly I expect) that enough people will quit waiting and I'll get bumped up, but, I am getting the first allocation car from my dealer and that is still going to be awesome! I live in a town of 7 Million plus people and there will be maybe 30 Sol's in town! Huge unique appeal for a long time!! OK, so I am a little vain! :lol:

Top down, radio blastin, just cruisin! :cool: How much better can life get?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
The Solstice was a perfect move for me. I own a 2000 Miata and after 4 years I need to make a change. My car is a daily driver and with my business it gets lots of miles. When I heard of a new 2 seat GM hitting the streets, I began to look for it. I had to hunt to find the Solstice but when I found it I fell in love with it. I think the lines are generally classic in nature reminding me of the sports cars I saw in college. I owned a 1963 Triumph Spitfire in college and still regret that I had to part with it after it blew a head gasket and got antifreeze on the mains. The Solstice isn't my dream car, a 1972 Porsche 914 with a 2.0 with original fuel injection, but it is sure a close second. I hope to drive my Sol for many years but don't know if it will be a car to park in the barn under a tarp or just a portion of my ride down the car highway. Time will tell. I do know that I am anxious about my first drive and look forward to it. If my Sol comes and the weather is too bad in PA where I'm from, I will set my compass for south and make a road trip out of it. A ride through the hills of PA would be nice before the weather turns sour, but there is the Tail of the Dragon in NC and that is south of PA if the weather goes too bad. Hopefully I'll see some of you soon in you Sols.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My first automobile was a '57 T-Bird.....back in '63....ever since selling it I have longed or another roadster....the Solstice has the "look" for which I have been waiting....and I still maintain (at 60) that you are never too old to have a happy childhood. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Until The Solstice It's Only Been A Dream

My earliest memories of liking a specific car was from my earliest days seeing little Nash Metropolitans driving around--I have a model on my bookshelf from my uncle who worked at American Motors his entire life. In the 70's I was a teenager and dreamed of someday owning an MG or Triumph--I particularly loved the TR6 and still do. I learned to drive a stick in an MG owned by a waitress at a restaurant I worked at in high school. I watched the debuts of subsequent roadsters that I drooled over, but I didn't have the money to buy one: Datsun 240Z, Mazda RX-7 (I had the intro poster on the wall of my Freshman dorm room), the Miata (whose entry tempted me but was newly married, a new house, couldn't swing that one either).

When I saw the Solstice I assumed, like every other exciting concept car, that it would never see the light of day. As I watched this one come closer to reality I realized my time had finally come. I'm getting one of the first 1,000, and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
a 1972 Porsche 914 with a 2.0 with original fuel injection.
My dream car too! but they are old, and tired. I even had my checkbook out once to buy one but they couldn't get it to start and I walked. The solstice will be much safer with ABS, aitbag, and all the suspension improvements since '72. And way more reliable. Surely more comfortable, too. So its solstice, hands down!

·
5,600 Posts
How come I'm buying a Solstice? Mmmmm... could it be.... SATAN!

Well, Satan is evil. Money is the root of all evil. And I would need a lot more money to buy the cars I really want to drive than it to buy a Solsticer. Therefore, Satan truly is the reason I'm buying a Solstice and dividing by zero, 1 = 2.

Money is the reason. Otherwise I would be in the market for a DB9, XK8, 430 or other premium sports car with near race car speed and handling.

The distinguishing feature of the Solstice is its classic good looks that have been missing from among the cars average buyers could obtain for oh, about 30 years (since 1975). The past 30 years of car styling started with truly uninspirec, went through monotone invisibly bland to Aztec alien.

The Solstice and Sky are cars of adequate speed and handling, low costs and gorgeous looks. Anybody out there could have done it. If Honda were not so insanely conservative, any of the previous Preludes could have been stunning good lookers, instead of all-but-invisible on the road. Sure, I would still be crying over the FWD layout, but I would have had most of what I needed.

The Solstice is just a modern interpretation of a classic good looking, good performing lightweight sports car. If it cost more, I would look elsewhere. Low price is why I'm buying. And I'm getting pretty excited about it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have been through the whole circle of automobiles, starting with "junkers" in the late 50's and early 60's, then muscle cars in the mid 60's, compact cars in the 70's, van conversions in the 80's, 4x4 Suburbans and Tahoes in the 90's, and then Corvette convertibles for the past 5 of 6 years (having sold my 2002 last fall to make room for my Solstice). I am retired, so the cost of the Solstice was a major factor, both the initial cost and the operating cost, and the design was the other major factor. I will use this Solstice as my everyday vehicle, as I have the luxury of being able to leave the Michigan winters after the leaves turn color and head out to my winter home in Las Vegas. :cool:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Owned a 1969 Datsun 1600 roadster for three years ,forerunner of the Z cars,it was a real blast to drive.To many toys sold it in 1976.Fast forward to wanting to buy a GTO last year.Went on Pontiac web to research,clicked on future vehicles saw the Solstice,it was love at first sight. No mo GTO.Wanted that roadster rush again.The Solstice is the drug of choice. :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
A ride through the hills of PA would be nice before the weather turns sour, but there is the Tail of the Dragon in NC and that is south of PA if the weather goes too bad.
Tail of the Dragon is starting to go South these days with all the cars running off the cliffs and the newbie sportbikers trying to act like WERA or AMA racers and crashing left and right. Cops are starting to crack down. If you go, go in the fall or at least during mid-week to avoid the problems... IMHO, there's much better roads around these days.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think Nick Nolte said in Beverly Hills Cops he was a ragtop man. Maybe I'm a ragtop man. I 've owned mgb, alfa romeo, porsche, fiat, camaro, sunbeam, triump, and mercedes though not in that order. i've owned numerous other conventional vehicles also but, I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH GOOD LOOKING LINES. May it's a James Dean thing, I'm not sure but, as a friend of mine and I keep telling each other...This car is fineeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! and that is all the reason I need to own it :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts