Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did GM do the right thing by announcing the Solstice would be in production so far in advance of its launch date?

Do you think this has affected the timing of the hype/anticipation surrounding the the car?

Do you feel that the hype for this car is now starting to wane, right as the launch date is approaching?

What would you have done differently if you were (or are :) Bob?

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
ho2go said:
Did GM do the right thing by announcing the Solstice would be in production so far in advance of its launch date?

Do you think this has affected the timing of the hype/anticipation surrounding the the car?

Do you feel that the hype for this car is now starting to wane, right as the launch date is approaching?

Well the problem with the above; we are not GM, although we have SM er Bob to chime in, we do not have all the facts about the car, so all we are doing is speculating, and no I personaly do not think the interest in the car is waning.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
ho2go said:
I would have made sure the top was operational and showed it at NAIAS. I might have hidden how small the trunk was by maybe only operating the roof while it was turning on the turnstyle and have the trunk open when the back of the car was facing the crowd.

I would also by this time or VERY soon annouce all the details, options, etc. on the car and start pumping out some commercials here quickly as people are looking towards warmer weather and getting their tax returns.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Tough to say. They gave a prelim specs in Jan 2004 which was a nice bridge of momentum from the concept years. I would have had final specs out by Jan 2005 to continue building momentum (pics of top, colors, options). Soon after I would open up the car at shows as final production version and let people in it to keep buzz alive for ordering season in spring. Then big hype during late spring/early summer for launch of Solstice !

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
ho2go said:

Are these trick questions? :lol

1) No
2) Yes
3) Possibly. We have yet to see the Miata NC.

What GM should have done:

SHUT THEIR F**CKING MOUTHS!!!

Anytime anyone asked a question about the Solstice, just grin. Clearly communicate to all their employees that this is a "true skunkworks project".
Uniform internal GM policy on kappa/Solstice/etc. should have been "absolute silence, followed by a 'no comment'."

Should've skipped the '04 NAIAS. Should've skipped the "these are more Kappas," and in fact just skipped touting the Kappa architecture altogether until it was produced.

At the '05 NAIAS, have a full specs sheet with "preliminary" options. Show the top operating. Show the trunk. Mention that "with a little luck, we'll have them at dealers by early summer." The '05 NAIAS should have been the very first official public indication that this was going to production.

The spy photos here and there would have been buzz enough - then latch onto something like Apprentice or Survivor in February or March to media-splash. Afterward, advertize the HE*L out of it, show the top operating, and a CLEAR date at which production will start and when folks can pre-order.

And yes, I think they jumped the gun on the Sky. Dealers are already getting calls now about the Sky as a result of the 05 NAIAS. How cool it would have been to show the Sky at the 06 NAIAS and tell them "available at Saturn dealers nationwide in two weeks!!!"

Alas, this is likely not possible. GM can't keep their mouths closed. They have security leaks everywhere (look at the volume and quality of information at C&G and GMI alone - coming from INSIDE the design areas from VERY high levels).

In addition, they are worried nobody will like them, or think they can't do anything. And maybe I'm trying.... unnnhhh.... I mean LUTZ is trying to justify his existence at the General.

The silence on the competition is becoming ominous. Frankly, though I'm not worried about styling or cost, Mazda may have something up their sleeve. My contacts at the blue oval camp and associated Mazda are very quiet. It's nearly impossible to get a ride in the new NC.

that's my weigh-in. Sorry for the wordiness.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
In a way I'm looking forward to and fearing Mazda and there ninja smoke screen ability to hide the NC for so long. Are they throwing out fake info, trying to knock people off the real path, are they just letting out select info and keeping their full hand hidden? I fear it because it could hurt the Solstice/Sky due to a super star competition. I look forward to it though because they might regain my interes, and they might once again help revive the Roadster market, which in turn would help the Solstice/Sky as the primary competition.

·
Registered
533 Posts
solsticeman said:
.... Frankly, though I'm not worried about styling or cost, Mazda may have something up their sleeve. ...
I believe that the 06 Miata will best the 06 Solstice in performance, but the Solstice will catch up in 07 with a turbo version. Mazda may then counter with a Mazdaspeed edition. I say this because of the Miata's rumored power and weight figures (180HP & 2,500lbs), and because GM threw the first blow by telling the press that the Solstice will out sprint the Miata. It seems logical that that Mazda would try to strike back.

What was your worry with Mazda?

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
I am willing to bet that in about 40 to 45 days all this talk will be a thing of the past, and you all will be salibating once again over the Solstice, and that you can not wait for June 5th to arrive to see it at your nearest Pontiac dealer, and drive your new BABY home....
One last thing, I could care less about the Mazda, it does not do anything for me, is a bland looking car, and that is why I am here in this forum. Although I do not agree with the way GM/Pontiac is handling the information about this car, I am willing to wait until it is in the Pontiac showroom to see it in person, drive it and if it is what I have been specting for this past year, I will buy it(Sol/Sky) and enjoy the looks, the drive, and every thing that goes with it, and OH yes to the Mazda, Honda, BMW, and all others, I will see you at the boulevard. :smile

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mazda Won't Risk The Gay Market

Mazda has been, for years, trying to expand their market appeal, without losing the loyal "gay" following they have. Gay men are all-to-stereotypically fixated on "style", and appalled by "testosterone" driven style features. I can't believe that the Miata will EVER try to "compete" with the Solstice or the Sky, because, frankly, they'd lose loyal gay customers. The Miata is simply a "cute" little roadster, that Brian can drive to the opera with Steve, his significant other. Add "growl", or "masculine" appeal in any way, and "ewwww, how hetero!"

·
Registered
270 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:
Mazda has been, for years, trying to expand their market appeal, without losing the loyal "gay" following they have. Gay men are all-to-stereotypically fixated on "style", and appalled by "testosterone" driven style features. I can't believe that the Miata will EVER try to "compete" with the Solstice or the Sky, because, frankly, they'd lose loyal gay customers. The Miata is simply a "cute" little roadster, that Brian can drive to the opera with Steve, his significant other. Add "growl", or "masculine" appeal in any way, and "ewwww, how hetero!"
Well this is great news! Thankfully, the style concious gay community has one less thing to worry about. :rolleyes This is likely the point that I should best shut the hell the up now. :devil

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
Are these trick questions? :lol

The spy photos here and there would have been buzz enough - then latch onto something like Apprentice or Survivor in February or March to media-splash. Afterward, advertize the HE*L out of it, show the top operating, and a CLEAR date at which production will start and when folks can pre-order.

And yes, I think they jumped the gun on the Sky. Dealers are already getting calls now about the Sky as a result of the 05 NAIAS. How cool it would have been to show the Sky at the 06 NAIAS and tell them "available at Saturn dealers nationwide in two weeks!!!"

I missed the best of the good old days, as I was only in single digits in the 50's, when the car makers would ship the new models to the dealers in the middle of the night, and the dealer had to put the car in the showroom UNDER COVER. All the hype built toward a preset unveiling nationwide. The car mags at the time played along, too. The Mustang had a similar introduction with first nationwide exposure during "Hazel" on a Sunday night! I remember that well. Maybe that's why Plymouth beat them to market by two weeks, and maybe that's why the Mustang is still around.

Except in a magazine back then, there were only 3 networks, not even PBS, Al Gore hadn't invented the means to our forum yet, even presidential press conferences were in B&W. Ahhhh, the good old days...when you could open the hood of a cat and recognize everything underneath...and be able to reach it from above, including drain plug and oil filter...but I digress. I do agree with Bob, er solsticeman that he/they let too much of the cat out of the bag.

One last thought for now, would Uncle Tom McCahill fit behind the wheel of our dreamcar? I know he would not be able to get in the trunk, his signature move...but wouldn't it be great to see MiMi give it a try? (I know, I know this is all ancient history to most of you)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:

:eek

:leaving

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hope the Miata forum people don't see this one :leaving

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:
Ok. I'll just ask you politely to contain your homophobic views - obviously, this is something that might be viewed as offensive to folks who:

-are homosexual themselves, or
-have close friends who are homosexual, or
-have family that are homosexual.

It's not that difficult - just ask yourself this before you poke the 'submit reply' button:

"Is this something you'd say loudly into a microphone in a room full of hundreds of strangers made up of folks of all kinds of races, sexual orientation, gender, and religion?"

Just trying to nip this one early - first it starts with borderline statments, to "girly" cars, to inappropriate stereotypes, and can easily snowball from there... I've seen it on other forums - it WON'T happen here.

I know you know that Miatas are not "gay" cars. I know many folks who race spec Miatas that would definitely be offended by simpleton, homophobic statments like that.

So, just take a chill pill, think about what's really 'appropriate', and consider y'self having received some public but friendly "advice", that's all. :thumbs

·
Registered
270 Posts
While I'm certain that conversation must have been incredibly fascinating just before closing time at the bar last night, it seems less so today. That is the sort of statement that comes from inbred ignorance, false machismo confidence, and a sense of worth that is threatened by anything deemed foreign to him. The word obtuse comes to mind.
Forgive me, I'm upset. I've got two sets of friends to call today and tell them they need to unload their cars and get Miata's. So far we've got a deVille involved, 2 BMW's, and Jag. I'm sure there's more. I'll ask around.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
solsticeman said:
Ok. I'll just ask you politely to contain your homophobic views - obviously, this is something that might be viewed as offensive to folks who:

It's not that difficult - just ask yourself this before you poke the 'submit reply' button:

"Is this something you'd say loudly into a microphone in a room full of hundreds of strangers made up of folks of all kinds of races, sexual orientation, gender, and religion?"

Just trying to nip this one early - first it starts with borderline statments, to "girly" cars, to inappropriate stereotypes, and can easily snowball from there... I've seen it on other forums - it WON'T happen here.

I know you know that Miatas are not "gay" cars. I know many folks who race spec Miatas that would definitely be offended by simpleton, homophobic statments like that.

So, just take a chill pill, think about what's really 'appropriate', and consider y'self having received some public but friendly "advice", that's all. :thumbs
Well put :agree :cheers

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Michael said:
While I'm certain that conversation must have been incredibly fascinating just before closing time at the bar last night, it seems less so today. That is the sort of statement that comes from inbred ignorance, false machismo confidence, and a sense of worth that is threatened by anything deemed foreign to him. The word obtuse comes to mind.
Forgive me, I'm upset. I've got two sets of friends to call today and tell them they need to unload their cars and get Miata's. So far we've got a deVille involved, 2 BMW's, and Jag. I'm sure there's more. I'll ask around.
Michael, I know you are upset but this is exactly what he/she wants, the best medicine for this is IGNORE, please do not fall into this trap. Our moderator has made a friendly suggestion, lets leave it up to him to take care of this issue.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
For the original question: I think it has been highly irregular to announce the Sol so early, but has it hurt the car? I don't know. I suppose if some potential buyers run out and get something else it might. But wouldn't they have bought something else in the meantime anyway? In fact, more people would have likely bought something else over the past year. Knowing the car is coming out has allowed those people to plan on it.

I don't think it has really hurt the car. Once we get closer to June, I am sure the GM marketing machine will rev up and put the word out on the car. Even though we are well aware of it, I am sure more casual enthusiats really don't know that much about it yet.

solsticeman said:
obviously, this is something that might be viewed as offensive to folks who:

Not to mention Rodeo and his wife, who just purchased a very nice Mazdaspeed Miata. :thumbs

1 - 20 of 35 Posts