Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!
I'm thinking about getting a Solstice, but have some doubts.

I know nothing about a car and its reliability, I just like how it looks.
From a price standpoint I can get a Solstice with approx 30 000 miles , 2007-2008 year
or Ford Mustang 30000 miles, 2015 year. It's about 7 years difference.

My friend says that it's impossible to get 12 years old car without issues and spending money on a repair every month.

Is he right?
Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
welcome to the forum

I had a Mustang. It was new. It had problems every month. Eventually I sold it because they couldn't fix it.

There are low mileage Solstice and Sky cars available that have been very well taken care of throughout their life. I have one of each.

It depends on what you want the car for. I would not recommend it as a daily driver but a great fun car.

I have two LOL

·
Registered
335 Posts
mine is a daily driver, but yes I agree it depends on your situation and needs. it's not much of a shopping car as there is little trunk area. all my kids are grown and gone.so as long as I go weekley ....bi weekley it's fine...sort of. I do wish i had got a gxp for the extra power of the turbo. be sure to drive one first, some people like it some dont.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your friend is incorrect.
The biggest reason to get a Mustang over a Solstice is if you could use a back seat.
The Solstice is more fun.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The Solstice GXP, with the right tune, will give the current 5.0L Mustang a run for it's money. And then you can brag that you're doing that on 1/2 the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Drive a GXP and an NA. You can also consider the Sky Redline and NA.

Everybody has a Mustang, which I have owned, but few ever get to experience a Kappa car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys!

From a price standpoint I can get a Solstice with approx 30 000 miles , 2007-2008 year

My friend says that it's impossible to get 12 years old car without issues and spending money on a repair every month.

Is he right?
Thanks for the advice.
Hello Anton,
Are you from Ukraine? I'll continue in English to let other members see my opinnion.
I am own 2007 Solstice GXP. And what can i tell you: i am pretty sure any stock EcoBoost 2.3 Mustang can't bite me. I didn't tried but i believe this is true! To tell you more, i am going to fabricate catless down pipe and order the tune from DDM or RMP. It wouldn't cost a lot... So i will receive more HP than 2.3 ecoboost have. Mustang heavy and unpredictable. Yes it pretty nice in Roush bodykit... i saw a lot of them in different colors. Regarding the price: i also believe you can buy/import/repair two Sosltice's instead one 2.3 EcoBoost Mustang. Just do it right.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Any used car can be great. Any used car can be awful.

The Solstice and Sky have a reputation as not the most reliable cars ever made. But the idea of a 12 year old car needing repair every month is something that passes belief. The mere fact of age conveys nothing about condition.

A Solstice, today, would be in general be an awful first car for somebody inexperienced with cars in general, because that person wouldn't know what to look for on the car or what makes a good one good or a bad one bad.

Mileage by itself does not convey a true report of condition, as well. many Solstices have low miles. I looked at four with under 25k miles. Three were not worth the asking price at all. Consider this: I could ruin a car in its first ten miles. I also own a car built in 1969 that has well over 300K miles. The car had to run to make 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Guys!

Is he right?
Thanks for the advice.
You may buy a car and it "currently" has no issues but eventually something will pop up. That doesn't mean they are huge issues and I do dispute the "problems every month" statement. There a hundreds of thousands Mustangs on the road so if you want to look like one of the pack get one of those. My Solstice always turns heads.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You answered your own question. If you like the way it looks get it. Its something you cant go anywhere and pick one up. To get something with no problems you have to buy something new and problems will come with time. My experience with vehicles of a lot of types 100,000 -200,000 miles is when they cost repairs every month

Figure brakes and tires at 40,000 which is normal for anything Then Solstice problems like water pump 60,000 mile on is a big repair. IMO you have to be a special person to use the Solstice as a full time everyday car. Better off with the Mustang if you want everyday car. And a lot of cars better than that for everyday use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drive a GXP and an NA. You can also consider the Sky Redline and NA.

Everybody has a Mustang, which I have owned, but few ever get to experience a Kappa car.
This is a great point. The car only had a few years run before bean counters killed Pontiac and Saturn. I bought my first Solstice (it's the only Kappa I have) just 2 days ago. It had been gone through and everything that was addressed was listed on a repair order. The car had 47K and pretty clean. The interior is almost flawless and the exterior very nice, although not perfect. It had every option except automatic and traction control. It's a 2.4 NA Envious Green and tan leather interior and tan top and chrome wheels

The next day I took a ride with my wife to a popular lookout spot and parked it and we sat on a bench nearby. We watched as numerous people walked up to it and looked at it with obvious admiration. It's easy to own a practical car that you can go to the supermarket with. But when you look at someone's toy that makes no compromises to practicality, you can appreciate its singular purpose. I love looking at it, sitting there with it's lovely stance. It looks great even when it's not moving!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
This is a great point. The car only had a few years run before bean counters killed Pontiac and Saturn. I bought my first Solstice (it's the only Kappa I have) just 2 days ago. It had been gone through and everything that was addressed was listed on a repair order. The car had 47K and pretty clean. The interior is almost flawless and the exterior very nice, although not perfect. It had every option except automatic and traction control. It's a 2.4 NA Envious Green and tan leather interior and tan top and chrome wheels

The next day I took a ride with my wife to a popular lookout spot and parked it and we sat on a bench nearby. We watched as numerous people walked up to it and looked at it with obvious admiration. It's easy to own a practical car that you can go to the supermarket with. But when you look at someone's toy that makes no compromises to practicality, you can appreciate its singular purpose. I love looking at it, sitting there with it's lovely stance. It looks great even when it's not moving!
Hey, hello and welcome to the forum. Enjoy your "new to you" Solstice. I wish I'd been able to buy a green one with tan interior and tan top, but GM wouldn't built that combination when I ordered it that way when I got a 1st 1000 ticket. Had to settle for Red with Black and Black. Have fun with it.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
as a head turner and fun car, it's hard to beat a kappa. If you want something that is 100% practical, buy a used school bus.

My sol has almost no trunk space, no spare tire, only seats two, and has five cupholders. (figure that one out).

Most impractical car I ever owned and is by far the most fun car I ever owned.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

Bill.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ive driven a turbo stang, it was fun but the back seat is almost useless....and the solstice was much cheaper...and slower. and it's my daily driver . as far as maintenance...crap shoot on anything you buy new or used. there are lots of low miles solstice out there. I do wish I had got the gxp model (turbo). but mine looks like new and has the interior I wanted. and 55000 miles. I think most of it's life was garaged. my only regret is no turbo.but thats me.this isant a hot rod just a nice ride.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Hi Guys!

Is he right?
Thanks for the advice.
If you are from Europe can I assume that Mustang parts are more readily available? Then again, the Opel GT shares many mechanical parts with the Solstice, but the Pontiac brand isn't supported in Europe, so from a parts & factory support perspective you may want to go with the Ford.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My step daughter (4th Daughter) came to Charleston yesterday and the first thing she asked. Can I drive your cool ass car. She's 25 and absolutely loves the car! We went to get ice cream, with the top down. She told me when we pulled in the drive that if she were a boy she would have a chubby!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts