Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from the show. They have the dark silver car with the black interior. This was the first time I saw it in person. Looked good, but after seeing it in the flesh, I think I would prefer if it were little longer and had a slightly slimmer profile. The only two things the attendent could tell me was that the car would be available in late summer and that some dealers would be price gouging.

On that last low note, I checked out some of the other roadsters in the show. GM execs, if you're monitoring this board, I suggest that you do something like Nissan did when they launched the pre-order program for the 350Z to discourage price gouging.

Other cars of note in the show were a Ford GT, a Porsche Carerra GT, a racing Maserati coupe run by Ferrari of Washington, and an NSX.

·
Registered
172 Posts
tcl said:
I think I would prefer if it were little longer and had a slightly slimmer profile.
Really tcl?
I have only seen one picture other than yours where I didn't think it looked too stretched out. An example of the car looking too long to me:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rik said:
Really tcl?
I have only seen one picture other than yours where I didn't think it looked too stretched out. An example of the car looking too long to me:
I'm wondering if the fact that the car was on an elevated stand made it look like it had a higher profile than it really did. I like the proportions in the image that you posted. Is that the concept or the production prototype? It looks slimmer than the vehicle I saw.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I saw it last year at Detroit, and never thought it looked too short. I believe the sides are somewhat high, in comparison to a car like the Miata. Yet, when it is at floor level and you are looking down on the car, it may not look as high or chunky anymore. The elevated stage certainly could give you that impression.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fformula88 said:
... I believe the sides are somewhat high, in comparison to a car like the Miata. Yet, when it is at floor level and you are looking down on the car, it may not look as high or chunky anymore. The elevated stage certainly could give you that impression.
Yes, the high sides are what I was referring to, along with the short front overhang.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
It's amazing how different the two photos look. I imagine it has to do with the lens and the angle.
After looking closer, your right. In the first photo, it looks like someone squished the car together! I think its definitely the photo. I don’t remember the car looking that short. Was the image re-sized somewhere along the line that could have gotten it out of correct proportion?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fformula88 said:
...Was the image re-sized somewhere along the line that could have gotten it out of correct proportion?
I think it was just the distance that I shot it and the fact that the lens was set at a wide angle due to that distance that I shot it. I'm going to remove the photo to avoid further confusion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
chunky concept photo

The concept photo looks chunky compared to the production model. Notice it has more of a curve especially over the front wheel. The front end doesn't hang as low,it appears more pointed and the windshield is sloped more. The tires are low profile and the wheels look larger. Personally I like the car in the concept drawing better. It looks more sporty. More like an exotic sports car. Also notice the the accents on the top. This car looks fast and more expensive.

·
Registered
496 Posts
size

I paced the Solstice off against the length of the Corvette that was on display at the Woodward Dream Cruise last summer and they are about the same length and width. When you are looking at them together that close, the dimensions are very similar. That's way it is hard to understand why the trunk space is so small in the Solstice.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Your right about the width being close, but the Corvette is well over a foot longer than the Solstice. Here are the dimensions.

Dimension Solstice Corvette
Length 157.2 174.6
Wheelbase 95.1 105.7
Width 71.6 72.6
Height 50.2 49.1
Curb Weight 2860 3179

I am sure some of that extra length goes to the front end of the Corvette. However, the Corvette has a rather fat rear end (even after the trimming they gave the C6). One advantage of that I think is some added room for trunk space.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
NNNNOOOOO!!!! :banghead :banghead :cryin :cuss :cuss :mad

That freakin' figures! I'm in St. Louis, MO at the moment, and I was in Tyler, TX the day after Christmas. This is just perfect! If I were home, I'd have been checking this forum a few times a day, and would have been there!

Now I'm stuck waiting for the Baltimore show. Guess that's not so bad since I was planning on that being the first time I got to see the car "in the flesh" to begin with.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2KWK4U said:
NNNNOOOOO!!!! :banghead :banghead :cryin :cuss :cuss :mad

That freakin' figures! I'm in St. Louis, MO at the moment, and I was in Tyler, TX the day after Christmas. This is just perfect! If I were home, I'd have been checking this forum a few times a day, and would have been there!

Now I'm stuck waiting for the Baltimore show. ....
The DC show runs through January 2nd. Just mentioning this in case you'll be back before then. I assume they'll keep the Solstice there through the end of the show.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If your still in St Louis, leave now!! Get back to the coast so you can check out the Solstice! You still have time!! :D :party

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
tcl said:
The DC show runs through January 2nd. Just mentioning this in case you'll be back before then. I assume they'll keep the Solstice there through the end of the show.

WOOHOO! :party

I'll be there Sunday! Thanks alot for th info and pics.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts