Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I didn't read all of the above posts on jack inserts, but I have one of the best solutions and the cheapest. Use Hockey Pucks as jack pads! They are cheap and can be easily found. I've used these on all my cars, including Vettes.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I didn't read all of the above posts on jack inserts, but I have one of the best solutions and the cheapest. Use Hockey Pucks as jack pads! They are cheap and can be easily found. I've used these on all my cars, including Vettes.
Being in Louisiana, I know not of what you speak when you say, "Hockey Puck" and "easily found"
;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bandit,

Hockey Pucks are donut sized firm rubber, stronger or more solid than a typical rubber bushing found on cars. When placed on a floor jack, will do virtually no harm to the lift points on the car. They are about 1" thick. You shoud be able to find them in sporting goods stores and probably Wal-Mart. As long as you can fit it between the jack and the body you're home free.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,732 Posts
Bandit,

Hockey Pucks are donut sized firm rubber, stronger or more solid than a typical rubber bushing found on cars. When placed on a floor jack, will do virtually no harm to the lift points on the car. They are about 1" thick. You shoud be able to find them in sporting goods stores and probably Wal-Mart. As long as you can fit it between the jack and the body you're home free.
I think he was pulling your leg about not knowing what they are... but ya, they won't be "easily found" in Lousiana... heck, I would have had to go to a sports store in Los Angeles when I lived there, and they might have had some. Not even nearly as easy to find here in Seattle as they are over the border in Vancouver.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Front Lift Points

OK guys,

I have read this WHOLE thread and still there has been no definitive answer on what to use as the front LIFT points.

The Service Info Bulletin from GM, as has been discussed, shows diagrams that contradict each other. Also, thanks to 'Exhaust Depot', view his photo of how he used the 2-holed platforms as front lift points.... even if these are NOT the correct points, if you follow the GM diagrams, not sure where the lift points would be....

link removed

In the end, for the front lift points, do we use the 2-holed platforms or the 2 slots next to the front rockers????

Scratch the above. Mceb has answered this question, finally, with a couple of pics of what appears to be an updated Service Manual, showing the 2-holed platforms as both the LIFT and JACK points..... thanks Mceb

See post #18: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f21/index-useful-forum-threads-tech-10271/index2.html

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
sorry if its been mentioned. but how about these? it fits right where your jack plate would go. just take out the dish and replace it with this.

SATURN SKY PONTIAC SOLSTICE JACK POINT LIFT PUCK PLATE : eBay Motors (item 130328548127 end time Mar-09-10 04:37:19 PST)
3 reasons i didn't get something like that:

1. they were relatively expensive
2. they are made of metal and will scar the paint
3. the plate on my floor jack is not removable

Bill

you might ask, why didn't i get the rubber hockey puck derived ones sold on ebay ??? because the guy raised his price on me and so i was PO'd.. :brentil:

·
Registered
13 Posts
^22 bucks isnt bad... i have a removable plate. and one with just a rubber foot. but i don't know if i trust it seeing how it might do damage. and what paint? under the car? imo for me that's not an issue because its under the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help jacking my 2009 GPX

I just got back from my local tire fixer who would not touch my 2009 GPX Solstice rear leaking tire. I took it to the dealer a few months back and they tore up the wheel well when fixing a front tire. I need help. I want a user friendly way to jack up my car and the more I read the worse it gets. Do I need to buy inserts for those holes front and back and if so where do I get them? Apparently they are not the same for for front and back, or are they? What jack will be best..yes, money is an issue as I am retired so am looking for a safe inexpensive(LOL) way to jack up my car so I can take tire for flat repair.
:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buy some Low Down Slopes, aka L.D.S.'s. They are extra low ramps that allow lowered sports cars to drive up onto them w/o any scraping... But the real reason for them, is so that you can get your jack under the car w/o scraping the car or getting the jack stuck under the car. Also allows you to better identify where the jack points are & whether they'd be sturdy or not.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts