Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought maybe a good idea to start a thread to preserve some of the early Solstice concept and kappa platform articles as kind of a history especially for newbies.

Older articles from 2002 are starting to be pulled off the web so in addition to links maybe cut/paste stuff in here or attach text or PDF file with articles? There was a great Popular Science article on the development of the Solstice concept in 2002 that's now off their site (if anyone has that article please scan it).

I'll start with a very brief history (anyone please correct my mistakes).

2002 Concept:
September 2001, Bob Lutz takes office at GM and immediately starts design work on a world class 2 seat roadster. This idea goes from sketch pad to concept and in 4 months in Jan 2002 it drives onto the stage at the Detroit auto show. It was one of the fastest conceptual designs ever done. The car received rave reviews from auto press and show goers and GM had to find a way to build it. GM also displayed an orange Solstice coupe concept in 2002.

2003-2004 Kappa platform:
In order to build the car GM looked at altering a existing platform but decided to build a new one from ground up for a small, low volume convertible and still be able to make a profit.

2004 Pre-production Solstice:
In Jan 2004 GM unveiled the pre-production Solstice on it's new kappa platform. Solstice gets the green light for production for 2005 as a 2006 model.

2005 Saturn Sky and Opel models announced:
Saturn Sky is unveiled in early 2005 and Opel also gets into the act, both using the same kappa platform to build on.

Note: Keep in mind the links and picture in this thread are history, not current information.

·
4,592 Posts
I took a quick look through the gallery, don't we have concept pics to supplement this thread?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A few pictures of the 2002 concept (I knew that Canadian web site would come in handy ;) )

You can see it looks very similar to production model. Interior was a little different, the exhaust was a central outlet, styling was a little different on exterior.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A Solstice concept article:
2002 Solstice Design Link

Another article on early 2002 concept:
Concept article

Attached articles as PDF files. Also attached sketch drawing of early Solstice and the orange coupe concept.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the existing links from text to PDF (forgot I could do that ;) ) I'll have a look at the other links tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts