Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While its apparent there won't be any "special" incentives from GMAC for either a purchase or a lease on the Solstice, has anyone heard if there will be a lease program for the EOP cars from GMAC. Of course one of the main things for this is to have a set residual value for 36 -- 48 months. Haven't been able to find anything out about this yet.
I might want to lease when the car arrives in June (hopefully) so I'm hoping the Solstice will have a good residual value and good lease rate. Any info on this ? ? ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Westbadenboy said:
While its apparent there won't be any "special" incentives from GMAC for either a purchase or a lease on the Solstice, has anyone heard if there will be a lease program for the EOP cars from GMAC. Of course one of the main things for this is to have a set residual value for 36 -- 48 months. Haven't been able to find anything out about this yet.
I might want to lease when the car arrives in June (hopefully) so I'm hoping the Solstice will have a good residual value and good lease rate. Any info on this ? ? ?
Tentatively,...Yes. In the back of the Solstice book (dealer guide....it has SOL parked on a cobblestone street if you need help explaining to your dealer,) somewhere in the FAQ dealer questions, I think on page 15 or 16, it mentions leasing. I forget the verbage, but will follow up tomorrow. May just be legal jargon, but I don't think they would add anything non-relavent.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
what about purchase finance rates? 3,4,5 yrs? any idea?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Finance rates should be typical no 0% obviously for buying. My question is the fact if they will allow smart buys and leases. I dont see whyn't but thats a huge factor for me. With 2 years left in college I have to be under a 330 monthly payment which can happen with a lease or smart buy NOT a straight buy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Billabongi said:
Finance rates should be typical no 0% obviously for buying. My question is the fact if they will allow smart buys and leases. I dont see whyn't but thats a huge factor for me. With 2 years left in college I have to be under a 330 monthly payment which can happen with a lease or smart buy NOT a straight buy.
Actually the current GMAC rate for non-supported unit (GTO, Sunfire spec. value,) is 5.9 for all terms. Have no idea for lease residuals. G6's started around 60, giver or take a few points. I think they will offer SmartBuy/SmartLease, since it was pointed out in the book. Again, I'll try ot find out tomorrow when I review the guide again. They want this vehicle to get out, no reason to hold a program back. One of the key points that Chris Ayotte (SOL mkt. director,?) kept bringing up all thru the program today was accessability. GM views it as a second car, target demo. 25-40, over 100k household.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Hopefully as being targetted as a second car they're planning on giving it good purchase APR's to along with the lease options. Who's going to want a second car with horrible APR/monthly payments?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was told by a dealer that lease rates may be very bad, based on the lack of incentives / rebates. I was told to estimate payments on 3 year lease in the $450.00 range. All of this was off the cuff and best guess on their part with no hard information. However, this seems super high to me. I looked at an H2 Luxury Edition at 3 years for $540 with 0 down except rebates and GMS. Given the 18K + price difference between the two (even with rebates) I can't beleive the leases would be that close.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MisterE said:
I was told by a dealer that lease rates may be very bad, based on the lack of incentives / rebates. I was told to estimate payments on 3 year lease in the $450.00 range. All of this was off the cuff and best guess on their part with no hard information. However, this seems super high to me. I looked at an H2 Luxury Edition at 3 years for $540 with 0 down except rebates and GMS. Given the 18K + price difference between the two (even with rebates) I can't beleive the leases would be that close.
Agreed.

I believe initially a lease will be bad news given there will be NO incentives/rebates/breaks on a new, hot model like this.

The only way you will get a "good deal" is for sales to slump, and there is no way that is going to happen. :)

Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Lease rates on any new vehicle are hard to determine due to no residual history.

·
Registered
180 Posts
With leasing why would you want to but any money down?
I would only lease with 0 money down.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
airbalancer said:
With leasing why would you want to but any money down?
I would only lease with 0 money down.
A pure business lease that IS the way to go. Down here it is all about that monthly payment. Sell the payment, not the product. Some states don't even allow leasing unless it is zero down and business use.

·
Registered
285 Posts
MarkZ said:
Agreed.

I believe initially a lease will be bad news given there will be NO incentives/rebates/breaks on a new, hot model like this.

The only way you will get a "good deal" is for sales to slump, and there is no way that is going to happen. :)

Good luck

Thanks...I'll take all the luck I can get.

Ok, I'm totally confused. I thought a lease was basically Price of Car- Residual Value + Generous 'Rental Charge' / Number of months.

So the majority of depreciation happens day one when it goes off the lot and becomes used (or for arguments sake year one) so a three year lease is usually cheaper then one year lease because years 2-3 have less depereciation so even though total depreciation is somewhat higher it is spread out longer...

If this is correct why do rebates matter at all? (I understand that if you have an expensive car and rebate it down you are closing the gap between Intial Price and Residual Value hence lower payment) but wouldn't this only matter on the Solstice if they expect the residual value to be poor. For example no rebates but higher residual value should be the same as lots of rebates and lower residual value.

Plus from a marketing standpoint I would think the first year of any car they would want to guess residual value high as everyone including buyers feel better buying something that will hold its value. Then if things shake out differntly adjust, opposed to saying boy this car is woth nothing when you drive it off the lot.

Sales folks please feel free to correct me because I truely have no idea if I'm anywhere in the ballpark on this.

P.S.

GMS Family members should be eligible for EOP (Just in case anyone from GM is reading this ;) )

·
Registered
338 Posts
MisterE said:
Thanks...I'll take all the luck I can get.

Ok, I'm totally confused. I thought a lease was basically Price of Car- Residual Value + Generous 'Rental Charge' / Number of months.

So the majority of depreciation happens day one when it goes off the lot and becomes used (or for arguments sake year one) so a three year lease is usually cheaper then one year lease because years 2-3 have less depereciation so even though total depreciation is somewhat higher it is spread out longer...

If this is correct why do rebates matter at all? (I understand that if you have an expensive car and rebate it down you are closing the gap between Intial Price and Residual Value hence lower payment) but wouldn't this only matter on the Solstice if they expect the residual value to be poor. For example no rebates but higher residual value should be the same as lots of rebates and lower residual value.

Plus from a marketing standpoint I would think the first year of any car they would want to guess residual value high as everyone including buyers feel better buying something that will hold its value. Then if things shake out differntly adjust, opposed to saying boy this car is woth nothing when you drive it off the lot.

Sales folks please feel free to correct me because I truely have no idea if I'm anywhere in the ballpark on this.

P.S.

GMS Family members should be eligible for EOP (Just in case anyone from GM is reading this ;) )
and I quote, from the EOP guidebook:

"Eligible Customers:
Purchase offer is available only to legal residents of the 50 United State or the District of Columbia who are at least 18 years of age with a valid driver's license. Purchaser must meet credit or financeing approval requirements. Purchases mus tbe individuals or companies located in the 50 United States or District of Columbia purchasing a vehicle for personal use or primary business use and registration in the United States. Person or parties (or their agents) engaged in the business of reselling, brokering (iuncluding but not limited to buying services) or wholesailing motor vehicles are not eligible to purchase. Employees, officers and directors of General Motors Corporation, its subsiiaries, affiliated companies, Dealerships, advertising and promotion agencies, and those associated with the development, distribution, or imlpementation of this Promotion, their immediate families (including parents, in-laws, children, spouse or partners, regardlss of where they live) and members of the same household, whether related or not, are not eligible to participate. However, GM retirees may purchase, but GMS discounts cannont be applied to these first 1000 exclusive retail orders." Block 7, Official EOP rules

This should end any and all conversation about eligibility. It is verbatim, including the misspelling of "wholesailing." ;)

A side not about leasing options, "if the vehicle is leased, Dealers are strongly encouraged not to set the capitalized cost above MSRP, which does not include tax, title, license, dealer fees and registration fees and any dealer installed equipment." Block 9, Official EOP rules.

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not an expert in leasing, I've only leased once. But I do know it is tricky.
There is some good information here.

Leases are just like sales, the dealer is going to get the most possible out of you. Also, just like a sale, you can negotiate the deal. The dealers will like to make the leasing deal sound like a take it or leave it situation, but you can negotiate leases with them.

There are a lot of buy vs. lease calculator sites on the internet. Just like buying a car, do your homework & shop around.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts