Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm exchanging files with Mr. Kustom to get puddle lights done and theonly artwork I'm able to dig up isn't of high enough resolution. (It appears there may have been vector art out there on the interweb but it's no longer available.)

I ran the jpg files I could find through a "vectorizer" program and it helped, but still was too fuzzy - Mr. Kustom reinforced my concern, by the time you made it a gobo for the projector, it would look like krud.

So I decided I'd "vectorize" the thing myself on my lunch breaks using my CAD program at work.

Here's what the original file looks like:

A close up of how I clean up the edges by using actual lines, arcs, and splines - note the rough edges in black and the straighter edges in blue:

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I'm basically tracing over the original JPG file and mathematically recreating the edges. Then the lightbulb pops on. I'm basically generating 3D CAD solid model data so I can "extrude" the sketch into an actual "object":

The above is a 2.5 inch "tall" solid of the logo.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when all is said and done (in a day or two) I will have the profile of the car and the logo in full 3D solid model. "So? Who friggen cares, CW?" you might ask.

If you have any friends or nearby shops that have CNC, 3D printing, or rapid prototyping capabilities, this data can be used to MAKE sh!t!!! I may be sending this off to a local shop that my son works at for an after hours guvment job - maybe just a logo to hang on the garage wall!

This logo is about 34 inches long as designed but can be scaled down/up as needed. (I generally start very large on "art" like this as the little inaccuracies disappear when you scale it down.) I can export to damn near any CAD format known to man. Let me know if you want a copy - I can send via e-mail.

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts
We have a club member in Albequerque who makes a living creating 3D items from models. They "print" on styrofoam and then finish it any way the customer wants. He makes movie props, custom furniture, yard are . . you name it. If we had a 3D model of a Sol we could get them printed to match our individual cars.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
CW, you should've pinged me. I have a number of higher-res copies of the Sol, Sky and car logos. Incl vector EPS.

:p

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CW, you should've pinged me. I have a number of higher-res copies of the Sol, Sky and car logos. Incl vector EPS.

:p
That's good information Soup. (It would have been GREAT information a week ago!) :)

Anywho, I'm kicking around a lot of ideas that could be achieved with the solids.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the whole thing "done". King - it's in your in-box. Red - I sent you and updated file.

Here's what it looks like now:

If you want any "tweaks" or special treatments, let me know.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm trying to decide now if I want to make "wall art" for the garage and what I should make it out of. Renshape is too expensive but would look awesome. A local aluminum recycler has stock shapes and a "boneyard" I can pick from - both aluminum and plastic. I can get plastic sheet. May even consider hardwood, sand, stain and seal.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Hey CW, have you thought about poly-foam. See if there is a sign company in your area with a router table. They could cut it out of a 18lb density poly-foam and that could be painted. The more layers of paint, the glossier it gets!
It's durable and comes up to at least 2" thick.
They could also do a metal surface that could be glued to the foam.
i.e. Brushed Silver with the painted foam base graphic.
Just some thoughts from a sign-guy! Good Luck, looks cool so far!
If you need a vectored image of the Coupe, I have that if needed. FYI

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Stvz. I know there are sign companies in the area I could hit up, but a tool and die shop down the street employs this punk-kid of mine and the owner is a long time friend and colleague. I know I can get the free labor and buy the CNC time for the cost of dinner and a beer!

I'm going to play with different colors and surface graphics in my CAD program to see what I might want to try.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thought about purple on a black background but it's not "subtle" like we're going for with the car:

Then tried black on a purple background:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.