Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
I'm ready to do the G2 caliper paint..what's the torque for the lug nuts?
Also, while my muffler is off, I thought I would replace the diff plastic vent.
Does it pop or screw out? Is this part (metal replacement) generic or is it a dealer item only?
Thanks in advance..I searched the threads for this info on vents ,but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info..my torque wrench said @90 when removing one lug..just wanted to be sure.
JC

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
On the differential vent: As far as I remember it is a metal gravity cap vent. Order another one. Take the cap off of the OEM that is already installed, thus leaving just a hollow pipe. Attach a piece of fuel hose to that pipe. Run the hose up as high as you can get it. I have mine terminating all the way up next to the fuel tank, just below the trunk. Install the new vent at the end of the hose. Make sure the cap is standing vertical, so that the gravity cap is free to move up and down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks GS-
So are you saying just to pull up on the top of the vent,like it's a press fit? On my MGA, it's a screw in . Any part # for the vent? Are they available at a parts store or only a dealership?
John

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
100 is the Specification, why would anyone change it? :brentil:

I'm just going by what I have read here on the forum. I did my rims and rotation this weekend. 100 does seems awful tight on my beam type torque wrench. My biceps got a workout. I did set it at 100 but I also cringed regarding the broken stud posts I have read. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Hello all-
I'm ready to do the G2 caliper paint..what's the torque for the lug nuts?
Also, while my muffler is off, I thought I would replace the diff plastic vent.
Does it pop or screw out? Is this part (metal replacement) generic or is it a dealer item only?
Thanks in advance..I searched the threads for this info on vents ,but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
John
Whatever you decided to set the lug torque at, remember to recheck it after about 50-100 miles of driving.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Thanks GS-
So are you saying just to pull up on the top of the vent,like it's a press fit? On my MGA, it's a screw in . Any part # for the vent? Are they available at a parts store or only a dealership?
John
If I remember correctly, it is just a pressed in fitting. And you can remove the gravity cap from the top of the vent with a little effort. After that is removed, the remaining tube makes a good attachment point for the extension hose.

Sorry, I don't remember the part number, but it is a standard GM part. That vent tube is probably used on a lot of different GM rear differentials.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'm just going by what I have read here on the forum. I did my rims and rotation this weekend. 100 does seems awful tight on my beam type torque wrench. My biceps got a workout. I did set it at 100 but I also cringed regarding the broken stud posts I have read. :banghead:
The 100 lb spec is correct. I have changed back and forth from summer to winter rims for three seasons now and have never had an issue. Not to mention the numerous tire rotations by service as part of the service contract. And the service guys are definitely torquing to 100 as well, because I always recheck the torque after a day of driving and it was always set to 100 by service.

As someone that has driven hotrods all of my life: I can tell you that broken lugs are typically a result of multiple burn outs more often than torquing issues. :lol::lol::lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts