Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Excelsior, et al (who have received and driven your cars), have you calculated your mpg yet? Just curious, since I see on the MSRP stickers the Sol is rated 20/28, how is it the ecotec gets the same gas mileage as a Corvette? Is it the monstrous 18" wheels, gearing, etc? Not that it matters much, because I doubt there are many of us after our Solstices for economy. But I figured it's a legitimate question, since gas here in central MI is $3.39 for regular. (At least for the next hour or so ;) )

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dang, mceb. You posted in the 3 secs between me hitting preview to verify my link and hitting submit. That's what I get for performing quality control, I guess.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Chris said:
Dang, mceb. You posted in the 3 secs between me hitting preview to verify my link and hitting submit. That's what I get for performing quality control, I guess.
Yea, no preview just ship it :jester: Can always edit after the fact.

·
Registered
278 Posts
car and driver rated it at 16! i was thinking "good lord this thing will be expensive!"

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Compare Consumer Reports /EPA MPG

Consumer Reports MPG c/ h -- 0-60mph EPA
Audi TT 1.8T Quattro--16/30 -- 7.0 -- 20-22/27-29
Chyrsler Crossfire-----15/30 -- 7.2 -- 21/25
Mazda RX-8 ----------- 14/22 -- 6.7 -- 18/24
Mazda MX-5 -------------------------------25/30

Solstice -----------------------------------20/28
seems pretty much in line with roadsters like the Audi

But you are right about the new Vette. From Motor Trend: "let's settle the barroom argumetns right now...the new Z06: it's raw. It's loud. It'll run 11-second quarters, pull almost 1.2g through a turn.
3144 ilb 51/49%
0-60 3.5 s
1.05g avg
19/28 MPG How'd they do that????? the bad news $65,800

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
how'd they do it?

Skip-shift. It goes from Gear 1 to 4 to save gas, unless you floor it.
D'OH!!! Skip Shift!!!! :brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil:

I HATE it!!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
solsticeman said:
D'OH!!! Skip Shift!!!! :brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil:

I HATE it!!!!
I disagree...I think skip shift is awesome! It is what enables GM to market a car with a 505 hp 7.0 V8 with no gas guzzler tax and not kill their CAFE.

Unless something has changed on the C6 (haven't looked into it) it is disabled by a $20 plug in module from Mid America Vette (was available for the C4 and C5, so I would imagine it's also for C6). So, it becomes a non-issue. Besides, if you drive the car in any way harder than a little old lady it is a non-issue anyway IMHO. I never even bothered putting the module on my C5 as I RARELY ever have the skip shift activate...and no, I don't drive like a bat out of hell all the time, you just learn how to drive the car where it doesn't activate.

:rant: I get so annoyed at every article that picks on the skip shift feature. They have been using that to gripe about the Vette for years. Everyone in the Vette community knows about the module and yet the magazines act like it is just unforgivable that the car has it...c'mon. How about lets pick on Porsche for making a car that costs 50% more and doesn't outperform and goes into an oversteer induced spin if you let off the gas in a corner. Oh wait, I forgot, the magazines are not allowed to say anything negative about a German or Japanese car. Whoops! :rant: :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts