Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
So far, I've installed the following:
stubby antenna
second hi note horn
Venom brace
probeam
waiting on the backbone. All went well.
Now, I want to install the Solo NA axle back exhaust with a Curt 111119 hitch.
I've searched the threads and found a nice installation vid, and plenty of info, but couldn't find one that answers my specific question.
I spoke with Jeff at Solo today, said he wasn't sure of this combo,so I'm asking here. He also said I could return the unused kit and he would pay the shipping if it doesn't fit. Now that's a first class operation!
If it does, my exhaust with 2800 miles will be sold very reasonably!
As a teacher for thirty three years, my heart goes out to those in Newtown.. I'm actually back in the classroom tomorrow, after ten years retired.
All the best,
John

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think there were problems with the curt trailor hitch and dual exhaust or GXPs. Solo's axle back should be fine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think it depends on which Solo exhaust you have. I have the quiet version, which has a larger muffler. The Curt hitch won't fit with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WintR-
I believe the NA axle back uses a Storm muffler? I don't have the diameters,etc for the Storm/NA axle back. Perhaps someone will chime in here..
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Mine has a Magnaflow muffler, which is rather large. The pipes enter and leave the ends of the muffler, and the bends reach outside the vertical parts of the Curt hitch. I replaced my Curt hitch with another, the vertical parts of which lie outside the frame member, rather than inside.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WintR-
So ,do you have a dual setup?
I'm looking at the Solo that replaces/replicates the single stock exhaust exit.. just curious, why did you delete the hi flow cat? Too loud? I was thinking using the hi flow eventually with the Na axle back.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Single outlet setup. There are two versions of the cat back exhaust for the 2.4 - the regular one, and the extra quiet one, for folks with headers and hi-flow cat, who don't want it that much louder. The second autoX after installing the new cat back exhaust, the hi-flow cat melted out, so I put the stock cat back in. It really doesn't make much difference; the stock exhaust seems to be a lot more restrictive than the cat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello all-
I installed the curt hitch on the NA today. when I tried to install the Solo axle back, it would not fit. To be fair, I had contacted Jeff at Solo and he said he really didn't know and I should post on our site. There's no way it will fit ,given the width of the muffler(21"), and the space needed for the radius of the inlet pipe. The inlet pipe needs another 2 " or more to clear the vertical part. I thought about notching out the vert.part, but would be a big slice I called Jeff/Bob and they suggested the 18" mach, but I'm a little concerned about the drone/loudness..they were willing to take the storm muffler in swap, but I may need a resonator. They were very helpful. I really like the system as it's wonderfully done ,any ideas? Rob, you indicated that you had installed this combo before...am I overlooking something? Thanks,
John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all-
Just an update on the Solo axle backNA/ Curt hitch. I found them not compatable. However, I cut a large rectangle out of the driver side vertical mount,and put the 90* bend through it. After that, everything bolted up, with 1/4 " to spare. The bonus is that the Solo muffler is narrower in the body,so the vent issue can easily be addressed and diff mount bolts are easily accessable if necessary. The Solo setup is a nice unit, maybe it will fit with other types of receivers, without modification. Luckily it turned out well for me.
I'm finishing up my luggage rack for the hitch. Will be 14.5 " deep and 37" wide,with a 3-4" rise. Made from an old welded rod cig display rack I found.match the paint, good to go.
All the best,
John

·
Registered
847 Posts
Just wondering what the options are for a luggage hitch outside of bolting on the permanent gm rack...I have some long trips coming up and would like something that could maybe hold 2 suitcases or 2 golf bags but also be able to take off easy...any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Just wondering what the options are for a luggage hitch outside of bolting on the permanent gm rack...I have some long trips coming up and would like something that could maybe hold 2 suitcases or 2 golf bags but also be able to take off easy...any suggestions?
This hitch.

It's really the best option with a luggage carrier or moto trailer.

There really isn't much else outside of the GM or the Kappasphere rack.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
The GM factory luggage rack is removable. I have one and it only goes on when I need it. There are four through trunk lid mounting points. When you mount the rack, you put a piece of flexible rubber like material that matches the surface of the rack. Then the rack sits on top of the rubber pad. The four chrom tie down points have through bolts inside them. They go through the rack, through the rubber pad and through the trunk lid structure. You then put nuts on the inside of the trunk lid that hold the four tie points down which holds the rack and pad inplace.

The weight limit of the rack is 25 pounds. I have a piece of motorcycle luggage that is waterproof, has a rubber bottom so it will not slide and has built in tiedown straps. It is the size of a small carry on bag.

I dont know of any trunk rack that will hold two golf bags. You can get one golf bag inside the trunk, but the size and weight of a golf bag exceeds the structural limits of the trunk lid.

If you are going to be carrying golf bags for a short distance, then the hitch mounted carrier might be a good option but I would not want to have to drive any great distance with all that weight hanging far behind the rear axle. It will adversly affect the car handling.

Getting a small motorcycle trailer that would follow well would seem to be a better option. We have several friends who have trailers and use them frequently. They all like them.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The golfing drives would only be very short (less than 20min drives) ...I really would use it more for lightweight duffle bags full of clothes and blankets) ...is this more feasible? Also is there one that would fit directly or will they all need to be modified a bit to fit? Thanks for
The replies by the way!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I also was just reading through articles on this site and came across the draw tite 24833...this seems to be made specifically for our cars and will go on GXP without modifying...is this what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
luggage options

jesse

As I said earlier,I fabricated mine using an old cig display case(welded rod type, Like a closet shelf except stronger). Then used the rectangular frame from the case. I had a 1 1/4 inch tube welded to it, so it fit the receiver. Used @a 4 " rise and @2 " from the rear bumper. Painted it sly, good to go. It holds two suitcases.. I chose those dimensions because the wire frame was already 14.5 ' deep, made it 37" long to not block the taillights and most of these racks stick out two feet in the back. I can stand on this thing! HF sells some alum ones, could be sectioned Shortened) and used, if you find someone to weld alum..
Hope this helps.
John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts