Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local dealer and did study the car...it is an impressive automobile. I was thinking of ordering a 2007 model as a third car ... ie ... an extra... At first I only wanted to settle for the turbo... I may have been swayed by my visit to the dealer...I figure with cool air intake and exhaust only...skipping the a/c unit for weight reduction...etc...I can make do..anyone feel the same? Any tips for weight reduction and power increase on NA model???

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I drove a Solstice and was really impressed by it as a complete package. It isn't going to win many drag strip runs, but it certainly doesn't feel underpowered either. I think it would be plenty fun on its own, on a wisty road. You probably would be happy with some simple mods.

However, after driving it and liking it as much as I did, I cannot help but wonder how much MORE fun it would be with 250+ HP and hopefully a little firmer suspension and beefier braking.

For me, it could end up coming down to ownership costs too. The turbo will cost more to start, is bound to use more fuel, and be more expensive to insure. I don't mind the purchase price so much, but if the fuel and especially insurance costs really seem like more than I want to spend on a partial use vehicle I may still end up with an N/A car. I liked it enough to know I could be perfectly happy with it. I am just intrigued by what the turbo might end up being.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
cool mazda6 said:
Any tips for weight reduction and power increase on NA model???
CF hood, that thing is mamoth!!! I bet you could get some really good weight savings from replacing it.

Also 17" light weight rims will also help a lot too. The current 18" ones already have a very good weight, but dropping an inch and another 5 lbs would make an awesome difference with a set of summer only tires on them.

The basics of course, intake, headers, exhaust, ECU retune, larger throtle body, cams, gears. I'm pretty sure you can get 200HP NA from this engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
brentil said:
CF hood, that thing is mamoth!!! I bet you could get some really good weight savings from replacing it.

Also 17" light weight rims will also help a lot too. The current 18" ones already have a very good weight, but dropping an inch and another 5 lbs would make an awesome difference with a set of summer only tires on them.

The basics of course, intake, headers, exhaust, ECU retune, larger throtle body, cams, gears. I'm pretty sure you can get 200HP NA from this engine.
You probably can, the only thing is its going to cost major bucks for that kind of modifications. Im guessing in the 5 to 6 k range. you would be better off getting the factory turbo or supercharged model. Having looked into this with my S2000 its really not worth what you spend for the HP gains IMHO.
Just to supercharge the S2000 with a air to air intercooler iS $5000.00 and that doesnt include labor. But if you got the bucks go for it.

·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
For me, it could end up coming down to ownership costs too. The turbo will cost more to start, is bound to use more fuel, and be more expensive to insure. I don't mind the purchase price so much, but if the fuel and especially insurance costs really seem like more than I want to spend on a partial use vehicle I may still end up with an N/A car. I liked it enough to know I could be perfectly happy with it. I am just intrigued by what the turbo might end up being.
I am thinking exactly like you. I am hoping insurance costs won't be high. Cars like the Mustang GT, Mitsu EVO and Honda S2000 have high insurance costs due to theft and crashes. The Pontiac GTO has 400 horsepower, yet the insurance is very reasonable due to low rates of theft and crashing. I expect the Sosltice GXP follows in that vein, r maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Like you, I know I could be happy with the base motor - 180 horses is nothing to sneeze at. But I also know the 250 HP motor will make this car feel lighter and more nimble. This is the modern Jaguar XKE and when you think about the overall cost it is a fraction of the cost that an XKE required back in the day.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you go the bolt on aftermarket route regarding the turbo wouldn't that avoid any added insurance costs being referred to on this thread???

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
This will be my 1st modification, if I can find a wheel that saves enough weight. I think reducing unsprung weight is one of the best bang-for-the-buck changes you can make to improve the handling and responsiveness of your car.

Are you planning on doing this, or just giving ideas to others?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Just because there have been mules running around with an alleged 250 hp does not mean that we will get that in a factory unit. An almost 50% increase is quite a bit between models. Nobody has clear numbers yet on what the cat-back, cold air and chip tuning as a group will produce but rumors indicate that group will break 200, and at relatively low cost.

·
2,574 Posts
jimbo said:
brentil said:
QUOTE]
This will be my 1st modification, if I can find a wheel that saves enough weight. I think reducing unsprung weight is one of the best bang-for-the-buck changes you can make to improve the handling and responsiveness of your car.

First discussion I've seen on 17" wheels w/summer onlys. I'm ready to jump on this. I just need direction. Someone involved in aftermarket offerings will surely see the potential here. Just point me somewhere. Checkbook is out and ready! This car begs for it. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
jimbo said:

When I can save up enough money to do it I plan too. Use them as track wheels. It'll be expensive though, $800 alone in new tires, $800-$1500 in new rims.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
birdliver said:
jimbo said:
First discussion I've seen on 17" wheels w/summer onlys. I'm ready to jump on this. I just need direction. Someone involved in aftermarket offerings will surely see the potential here. Just point me somewhere. Checkbook is out and ready! This car begs for it. ;)
A long long long time ago we had talked about it in depth a good bit. Those threads are burried deep somewhere now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
jimbo said:
I am thinking exactly like you. I am hoping insurance costs won't be high. Cars like the Mustang GT, Mitsu EVO and Honda S2000 have high insurance costs due to theft and crashes. The Pontiac GTO has 400 horsepower, yet the insurance is very reasonable due to low rates of theft and crashing. I expect the Sosltice GXP follows in that vein, r maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Like you, I know I could be happy with the base motor - 180 horses is nothing to sneeze at. But I also know the 250 HP motor will make this car feel lighter and more nimble. This is the modern Jaguar XKE and when you think about the overall cost it is a fraction of the cost that an XKE required back in the day.

Well, that's one advantage to the plain-jain looks of the car. No one wants to steal it. Doesn't look cool on the local LA news channel to be chased by the cops in one. Hey, if you're going to break the law, make sure you look good on TV while doing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to the dealer to "view" the car -and- while having never driven it...I would buy it based on it's looks alone...I am not so sure about the wheel drop...someone else told me here on the forum we have like 3.9 inches of ground clearance...I checked myself and I would agree...under the front bumper there is a lip that is very-very-very close to ground level...dropping the tires to 17's may be a "mistake"...that was my initial idea as well...As far as Pontiac producing a "turbo" that is satisfactory has me worried...in truth I could see myself doing up a catback, cold air intake, throttle body mod, perhaps carbon fiber hood as well as no air conditioning no power windows...etc...all to avoid the pitfalls of turbo lag and turbo timer and boost controller...etc, etc, etc...I don't know why but my best-guess here is that the turbo will be too expensive and unfullfilling to place in this car...If Pontiac went with a supercharger...I would be "all in" as you could do up a pulley swap and gain like 30 hp and 40 lb tq right off the bat...I think that in essence it is more "true" to pursue this car as it was intended from a design perspective led by Bob Lutz...ie...no fancy bs...just pure driver and the road ahead...

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
When I can save up enough money to do it I plan too. Use them as track wheels. It'll be expensive though, $800 alone in new tires, $800-$1500 in new rims.
I may just burn out the OEM tires first and make the swap to light-weight 17-inch rims at the same time as tire replacement. It will be an expensive upgrade as rims could easily run $2,000. But I think the result will be something that you can feel in the seat of your pants - not just by the performance numbers. Don't you think you would notice a difference in ride alone, just due to the lighter unsprung weight? Or would the difference be unnoticeable?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
Just because there have been mules running around with an alleged 250 hp does not mean that we will get that in a factory unit. An almost 50% increase is quite a bit between models. Nobody has clear numbers yet on what the cat-back, cold air and chip tuning as a group will produce but rumors indicate that group will break 200, and at relatively low cost.
Don't be such a naysayer. :lol: I doubt GM would be consistently testing cars with an estimated 250+ power only to show up missing 30-40 horses.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jimbo said:

I hope that is the way it goes, but I am not real confident. I have a feeling most GTO's were bought by nostalgic GTO owners from 30 years ago. Those baby boomers are likely to be far more responsible drivers that are less likely to wrap their new car around a tree. Based on the demographics we have seen in our informal polls here, I am not sure that will really be the case with the Sol. As many younger enthusiats as older seem interested in this car,

I nearly bought a GTO when they had the fire sale last year on the 2004's. In fact, I have been sorry I didn't ever since. I did check on insurance and was amazed at how cheap it was. About $400 less per year than a Mustang.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jimbo said:
I may just burn out the OEM tires first and make the swap to light-weight 17-inch rims at the same time as tire replacement. It will be an expensive upgrade as rims could easily run $2,000. But I think the result will be something that you can feel in the seat of your pants - not just by the performance numbers. Don't you think you would notice a difference in ride alone, just due to the lighter unsprung weight? Or would the difference be unnoticeable?
I think you might notice something, but I wouldn't begin to guess whether it would be good or bad. It depends how the stock suspension, which was set up to deal with the higher unsprung weight, likes the lighter wheels and tires.

If you go to a higher profile tire, it could also profoundly affect the steering and handling feel, and that would most likely not be a positive. They would be softer on rough pavement, but they may also feel more vague and not give as good of a feel for the road surface. Of course, that can heavily depend on the tire too.

I went to bigger, heavier wheels on my Fiero. Stock were 15 inch, 55 series, and I upgraded to 17 inch, 45 series (same rolling diamter was kept) and there was a definate change in the car. It was rougher over bumps by a little. Not horribly so, but if you rode in it before and after you would notice. But the biggest improvement was in steering feel. The car always steered decently, and felt responsive, but with the lower profile, more aggressive tires the steering now feels extremely accurate with very good road feel. It is much easier to place the car on a line in a turn and keep it right where I want it. This is sort of an extreme example, since those 15's were basic all seasons, and I went to a 17 inch 3 season Z rated tire too. If I had more aggressive tires on the 15's.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
250 HP Solstice!

The popularity of the Solstice will warrant a 250hp version. Unfortunately, it looks like that will be a 2008 model. Can't wait to see the modifications with the Solstice's at SEMA! :yesnod:

·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Based on the demographics we have seen in our informal polls here, I am not sure that will really be the case with the Sol. As many younger enthusiats as older seem interested in this car.
Refresh my memory, but I though the Solstice seems to be drawing an older crowd, while younger folks are much more attacted to the Sky.

We could see a situation where the Sky is being driven aggressively by younger people, resulting in higher insurance costs than the Solstice, even though the 2 cars are identical under the skin...

I just hope you are wrong about the insurance costs to the Solstice. It won't stop me from buying one, but every cost-savings measure means more money for fuel, oil and tires. :D

How is the patience coming along. Think you can hold out for a GXP? I'm starting to weaken...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts