Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I Just receved a mail from Pontiac that said that the solstice will be available on summer 2005 and also got a dealer quote and they said that they will be asking for 2000 dlls over MSRP for the solstice :mad

·
4,592 Posts
WElcome chino. That all sounds about right. We do have a dealer here (GTOJ) who says they will sell them at MSRP, but gouging has been speculated for the first months.

RODEO

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I get ready to purchase mine, I intend on going through GTOJ. He can arrange pickup there or ship the car. I'm more inclined to support a forum member anyway. So... as they become available and you're ready to buy, you might consider contacting him. I'm sure he'd do his best to work with you.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well that sucks, that they're saying how much they're already going to be marking the car up. I guess at least $2,000 is better then I was expecting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wonder how long the premium over MSRP will last. 3 months? 6 months?

They did the same thing with the GTO. After a few months they were already discounting them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anyone who pays a dime over MSRP has rocks in their head!
There is no reason for it. The 350Z & RX-8 both sold for MSRP when they first came out and within a couple of months you could go to any dealer and buy on off the lot and work a marginal deal. If you pay over MSRP you will never get that back, it's a extra $2,000 of depreciation.
If anyone pays the extra $$ I'll buy your Solstice 1 year later for $16,000 and be happy to get that. :cuss

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Run, don't walk away from that dealer! If dealers want to mark up the car, go find another. GTOJ won't gouge, and I am sure there are plenty of other dealers around that are not going to top MSRP too! Find one and do business with them! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Shop around, some dealers have a policy about nothing over MSRP. Ask them how they handled the GTO when it first came out.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AJC said:
The GTO did not sell very well!
But during launch it was a hot item that some dealers had markups on (hard to believe now)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A lot of GTO people blame those markups for part of the reason the GTO did not sell well. They feel dealers turned off too many buyers, who were lost to other cars.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You think that's bad, when the Ford Thunderbird first came out, there were dealers marking up as much as $10k! :eek

·
Registered
58 Posts
No matter how much I want the Solstice I will not pay a premium. When the PT Cruiser came out I thought about buying one, then I took the trip to two area dealers to test drive and buy. I never even test drove one because on the sticker they added a "Premium" of $3,000. I told them they could keep it. As much as I want any car I will not pay a premium...they can keep them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Eager Sol said:
No matter how much I want the Solstice I will not pay a premium. When the PT Cruiser came out I thought about buying one, then I took the trip to two area dealers to test drive and buy. I never even test drove one because on the sticker they added a "Premium" of $3,000. I told them they could keep it. As much as I want any car I will not pay a premium...they can keep them.
I agree. The premium is simply the added cost of ownership some people will pay to be the first one to own the car. I'd be willing to pay up to MSRP on it, but beyond that it just seems to excessive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For 2K over msrp of a car with most options you would be much better getting a S2000. Alot more HP, a power top and probably better resale value. I can't imagine anyone paying over msrp for this car. I mean granted it is a good looking car. Damn thing keeps me coming back too it. :jester

·
4,592 Posts
On Jan 03, 2005 I paid 7K below total msrp on my 2004 hold-me-over, Although there are different circumstances (limited mazda adv and a new gen coming). My point, that gouging only lasts as long as the car buying pubic allows it.

They had 5K over msrp here when the new 05 stangs showed up, don't know about now. I've seen plenty of the new stangs floating around already. Anybody know if they are still gouging on those?

RODEO

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
RODEO said:
On Jan 03, 2005 I paid 7K below total msrp on my 2004 hold-me-over, Although there are different circumstances (limited mazda adv and a new gen coming). My point, that gouging only lasts as long as the car buying pubic allows it.

They had 5K over msrp here when the new 05 stangs showed up, don't know about now. I've seen plenty of the new stangs floating around already. Anybody know if they are still gouging on those?

RODEO
Some places still are in this area. But that's because they can't keep their lots full of them. They're all selling so fast they can still demand it. I really feel bad for anyone who didn't pre-order an 05 Mustang, because most of those people got them for $500 over invoice.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Some places still are in this area. But that's because they can't keep their lots full of them. They're all selling so fast they can still demand it. I really feel bad for anyone who didn't pre-order an 05 Mustang, because most of those people got them for $500 over invoice.
The people who paid over MSRP for GTO's a year ago are the ones who really got screwed over. 10 months later by last December, GM was offering $5000 in rebates, low financing rates, $1500 in dealer certificates, and $5000 in bonus card roundup money to anyone with a GM car and at least a buck in rebates on it. If you got the car at invoice (and people did) you could walk out of the dealership for under $20K on a $33K car that just months earlier people paid $35K+ on!

Those people are going to eat a TON in depreciation.

·
Registered
285 Posts
:agree

I'm willing to give up my GMS to be sure to get the car during the first year, but I'm not willing to go over MSRP.

I've contacted a few dealers in my area (Michigan) and all have been willing to sell for MSRP!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts