Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board and I'm hoping I can get some opinions. I really want to get a Solstice but if I did it would be my only car. Would I be insane to make this my only car? I live in Michigan and I would have to wait until my current lease expires which would be February/March depending on early lease turn in. I've always wanted a 2 seater but I've never had one before, the closest I've come is a Firebird. So does the thrill of top down, 2 seater driving make you forget about the lack of trunk space or will I be cursing it everytime I go to the grocery store and then begging my Pontiac dealer to let me trade it for a G6? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Small Trunk...

You know, I'm kinda surprised that no one has brought up the possibility of having a small, matching color/style trailer that one could pull behind a solstice. That way, we could still drive top down on trips and have a place for our luggage. Daily driving rarely calls for much storage anyway.
(With these three lines, I have convinced myself to ignore the urge to be "sensible" and purchase a mustang convertible :willy: )
Does anyone have any experience with these, and how hard is it going to be to install a lightweight hitch?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Personally I'd think it would be tough to go it as your only car. I know some people will do it but you have to the type of person who travels light.

Also in MI with the snow and all it will be tough since the Solstice sits very low to the ground.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Car trailer

Answering my own question, I found a few sites (damn few) that offer "mullins style luggage trailers". Apparently, not a real demand for them. Some of our more savvy members may be able to find out 1) Who has them 2) How much 3) If we can put a trailer hitch on the Solstice (Big John might be able to answer the third)
I have heard there will be a luggage rack available for the Solstice, but I really don't want to garbage up the appearance, and it would undoubtedly make putting the top up or down (while loaded) an ordeal.
Any Thoughts? :skep:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
For me, the Solstice will be "my" only car. I work light, and travel light so it will be fine. As to carrying things, my wife drives a Tahoe, so I have that one solved. If she didn't drive that, I have no idea how I would make it with the Sol!!

Just small errands like; a trip to Ikea for a table wouldn't fit except in the seat, almost anything from Home Depot, or even going somewhere with 2 other people would require using their car! A lot of imposing I think.

I'm lucky to be married and have a second vehicle available! Not everyone is in that situation I understand. So, if I wasn't, I would probably NOT be able to get the Sol!!

It is an AWESOME car and I can't wait to get it, as I'm sure you are too, but in your case I would think about it very carefully first. Rentals get expensive, friends get tired of being your only solution, and any damage to the interior hauling some large, heavy object just plain sucks!
JMHO and 2 cents!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The Solstice will not be my only car, as I am fortunate enough to be at a place in my life where I can afford two cars. Plus, I will only have one loan payment, as my current ride, (a Grand Prix, which I will be keeping), is paid for. Then again, my personal belief has always been that I would rather have two $25,000 cars than one $50,000 car!

Having a second vehicle doesn't have to be that expensive either. If you think you could reasonably drive the Solstice 90% of the time, you could buy an older, used pick-up or SUV for driving in really bad weather, hauling large objects, etc. Only issue there is having the parking room available, which not everyone does.

One of my friends is on his second new car in five years, but still has his twelve year old Toyota pick-up with about 180K miles on it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine will also be a "second" car. The wife and I both work so one vehicle isn't an option. I used to own a MGB but gave it up for a more "sensible" car. Been waiting for an affordable two seater rag top ever since.

Hey GopherMan,
Is this what ya had in mind?

http://www.championluggagetrailers.com/images/trailers/mid_11.jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
it certainly should be reliable enough to serve as and only car. it couldn't be any worse in the snow than my BMW sedan ( i suggest a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels to change into around thanksgiving time). if you are a single or a couple you should be fine with most shopping trips. just drop the stuff in the passenger seat and go. for those times you really need to haul something big, find a friend with a van/suv/pickup truck or rent a van for the day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are starting to depress me. I do have friends who have pickups and my parents live close by and have a larger car. So I guess if I needed any big items I could ask. I do like traveling in Michigan with my girlfriend during the summer so we'd probably have to take her car, even thought I'm sure my luggage would fit in the Solstice. I actually have thought about a small matching trailer, but if on the Corvettes page under trailering it says not recommended, I'm thinking it wouldn't be good for the Solstice. My biggest concern is winter, last winter they didn't plow before I had to go to work and I barely got my current car out of the parking lot. Of course I suppose I could just call in. Hmmm.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sliver said:
I do like traveling in Michigan with my girlfriend during the summer so we'd probably have to take her car, even thought I'm sure my luggage would fit in the Solstice. I actually have thought about a small matching trailer, but if on the Corvettes page under trailering it says not recommended, I'm thinking it wouldn't be good for the Solstice.
There should be a luggage rack available for the Solstice sometime soon. So long as it does not need to be permanently mounted, this will probably be my solution for road trips in my Solstice. There were several past threads with lots of speculation on how a luggage rack might look, so if you do a search, you'll probably find them. For me, this sounds like a better solution than a trailer, especially if your only concern is luggage for a trip.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Gopherman said:
You know, I'm kinda surprised that no one has brought up the possibility of having a small, matching color/style trailer that one could pull behind a solstice. That way, we could still drive top down on trips and have a place for our luggage. Daily driving rarely calls for much storage anyway.
(With these three lines, I have convinced myself to ignore the urge to be "sensible" and purchase a mustang convertible :willy: )
Does anyone have any experience with these, and how hard is it going to be to install a lightweight hitch?
Trailers & luggage racks & boxes that attach to a receiver hitch have been discussed previously on at least a couple of threads. Check the "search" function.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had several Firebird and Camaro ragtops in my day (the most recent was a '98 Firebird convertible) and they can double as a funmobile and daily rider cause of the back seat and reasonable trunk.
IMHO, roadsters are rarely practical if there's only going to be one pony in your stable - particularly with the puny trunk of the Solstice/Sky. :(

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My Solstice will be my daily driver until the snow gets too deep. When that happens I will drive my S-10 to work. I have been driving my Miata for four years and rarely have had a problem with daily storage space. There have been a couple of funny trips to the grocery store where my wife forgot we had my car and not her Alero and brought out three bags of groceries when I have a two bag trunk. Other than those times the Miata has been great. I question how you could pack the Solstice for a trip without becoming creative, but from what I have seen on this Forum, we have some very creative people here. I see lots of small soft-sided luggage being used. Time will tell.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Only Car

I live here in scenic Michigan as well (Ann Arbor), and I had a Miata as an only car when I was younger and got rid of it when I realized that the roof line was level with the underbelly of a semi that was driving next to me in a snow storm on the freeway and kicking all kinds of blinding snow mateials at me. I don't suppose a Solstice is much taller than a Miata. No, a two seater convertable in Michigan as your only car is a very bad idea. My Solstice will be my third car (Jeep, Van, Solstice). My 4-cents worth!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This will be, essentially, my only car and, for me at least, I foresee no insurmountable problems. I have been driving a junky old Camaro for six months and have purposely kept the rear seat back folded down to test if I can live without a back seat. Trips to any store usually ends with the purchases being tossed in the passenger seat for the relatively short ride home. If it's got to go in the trunk, it'll be not a big deal to put the top up.

If there's more than two of us going out, we just go in whoever's car is most comfortable for the number of occupants. (think of the gas your gonna save! :) )

I figure that driving vacations won't be a problem 'cuz long drives on the interstate with the top down is just to masochistic for my tastes. We'll pack light, unload the trunk at a motel, fold down the top and enjoy the local atmosphere. Soft luggage and 4 cubic feet will work for me. That's roughly the size of two large carry ons, just you'll probably have to uses several smaller soft bags instead.

But I am thinking about adding a luggage rack to the rear deck if I find a need for it.

Another factor to help out with the diminutive carrying capacity is that the Solstice won't actually be my only car. I've got a big old Buick I bought for $2500 that only costs me $30 a month to insure. But I only put about 20 miles a month on the car (no AC) but in a real pinch, it'll be standing by on the sidelines. It's no different than buying a beater to drive when there's salt and snow on the roads. Just instead of selling it in the spring, park it out back for those Blue Moon trips to Ikea.

·
Registered
245 Posts
my sol will be my only car, but i think that it will be a blast to drive in the winter time. might require better tires but will cross that bridge when i get there. i will just have to keep a closer look out for dog sleds... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
It will be my only car, but I cannot have two cars being a freshman in college. Everything I do (living, working, education) is all within 15 miles so I don't need storage space... although I am a musician... but i can fit a gig-bag in the back, and an amp in the front seat... or even a guitar BEHIND the passenger seat... and maybe a smaller amp in the trunk.

...but as for winter... Central Indiana... not as much as michigan persay, but we have our days where the roads are impassable.

...and I'm not reliable with a stick yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sydney said:
Mine will also be a "second" car. The wife and I both work so one vehicle isn't an option. I used to own a MGB but gave it up for a more "sensible" car. Been waiting for an affordable two seater rag top ever since.

Hey GopherMan,
Is this what ya had in mind?

http://www.championluggagetrailers.com/images/trailers/mid_11.jpg
Yep, champion and aero were the only two I really found. Found a few Mom and Pop shops that have VERY utilitarian small trailers. Pretty pricey for champion, though. $1600-1800 not including wheels and tires, custom paint, and you get the pleasure of assembling it yourself. :brentil:
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Silver,

It may be impractical for your situation, BUT if you've never driven a 2 seater ragtop - you don't know what your missing!

One taste and you'll NEVER go back.

I suggest you test drive a competitive vehicle and let your emotions steer you.

Sometimes, being impractical IS the most practical thing to do.

Remember, there's no better time than the present to live your life to the fullest. The rest will fall in line :yesnod: :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts