Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your thoughts about NOT getting the Power package? I'm thinking about not getting it to keep the feel of an old roadster...who needs power windows anyway?

Also, are there any pics anywhere that show where they will put the XM antenna?

Finally, do you think the Monsoon speaker system would really be worth it? My concern is the open top with the standard speakers may not be loud enough.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

My options:

PCQ Premium package (for leather)
ZQ3 Convenience Package (needed for PCQ)
C60 Air conditioning
U2K XM Radio
US8 CD w/MP3 (required for U2K)
JL9 Anti-lock breaks
G80 Limited Slip
B32 Floor mats

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Personally, I am going to get the power package. I'm putting in $23k... another $500 won't hurt for convinience... but it is most certainly an easy way to cut out $500 where you won't be hurting. it has two windows, so power windows shouldn't be bad... althought it is a convertible, and you will be putting your windows up and down more than normal (and you will have to reach over and lower the passenger window on top of manually lowering the top). I don't have remote locks on my car now, but I think it would be nice to have.

There is a picture of a black show model with the XM reciever. It is a little black "nipple" that goes smack-dab in the middle of the rear deck... which may be fine on a black car, but even as little as it is, it hurts the gorgeous sleek lines of the vehicle. Remember, the AUX mini-jack is standard so you can hook up a third-party XM reciever, MP3 player, tape-player, whatever you want instead... and that can save you money.

Also, the monsoon systems are pretty nice. The one for the Solstice will be 6.1 (two front tweeters, two 6-inch door speakers, two rear speakers, and a subwoofer behind the passenger seat)... I wouldn't worry about it not being loud enough. Reviews have said that even with the top down, air-flow management in the cockpit is VERY decent and even at cruising speeds, a conversation with a passenger is not difficult.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Too bad you can't get remote keyless entry (power door locks) alone without power windows and seats.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
achieftain said:
Too bad you can't get remote keyless entry (power door locks) alone without power windows and seats.

According to the price list all power items are grouped. The leather seats are somewhat of steal at $590.00, but of course there is no added adjustalbility to the seats, just added leather.

Orginally I was going to go the stripped route, but at this point here is how I will order mine:

Air, CD/MPS Monsoon, Premium, Power and Convenience Groups, Anti-lock, LSD, polished rims. Blue with two tone leather.

I'm sure I'll change my mind by Apr 15th!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
PAS22 said:
Orginally I was going to go the stripped route, but at this point here is how I will order mine:

Air, CD/MPS Monsoon, Premium, Power and Convenience Groups, Anti-lock, LSD, polished rims. Blue with two tone leather.
That's exactly how I am ordering mine... just smoke silver with ebony interior.

Althought I am still debating ABS.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't already know this, the polished rims are in constraint and will delay delivery of the car....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Fortimir said:
That's exactly how I am ordering mine... just smoke silver with ebony interior.

Althought I am still debating ABS.
Silver and ebony cloth is stil a strong second (I am concerned about ebony leather being way to heat absorbment in the hot summer sun, I am speaking from dark leather seat experience here).

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
If you don't already know this, the polished rims are in constraint and will delay delivery of the car....
Are you sure its not the chrome wheels that are delayed till September? That's what I read elsewhere. Remember there will be a total of three wheel options.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Yes, please let's not put missinformation on the forum.
POLISH ALUMINUM WHEELS ARE OK!.
Chrome Wheels and Automatic Transmission are the ONLY options been DELAYED.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
What is good is that if you get into the race for the first 1000 you only have to get the car secured. Option list can be created later. This will speed up the deal on the 15th.

·
Registered
185 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
What are your thoughts about NOT getting the Power package? I'm thinking about not getting it to keep the feel of an old roadster...who needs power windows anyway?
Finally, do you think the Monsoon speaker system would really be worth it? My concern is the open top with the standard speakers may not be loud enough.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Todd, I think I'm with you on the power package. I'm still on the fence, but I think I'm leaning not to get to keep the feel of the classic roadster. Besides the top is manual anyway, so manual win/locks will help to keep the theme. Part of it will be a game time decision when I see what the window cranks look like & what they're made of -- maybe chrome ones would be nice.

For the moonson speakers, I have a std GM cd radio in my pontiac, and I don't think I missing that much because I get pretty good sound. I guess it depends on how much you want to crank the music. I'll probably get at least the cd/mp3 upgrade so I can play mp3's and since it has the speed adj vol control.

-AJ

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Guys, I would get the power option.

Remember, this car isn't as small as the Miata, and I don't know if you've ever tried to crank down manual windows in a car with a tunnel (even like the miata, or an older Lotus Elan, or even the Fiero), but it's a real PITA.

With the size of the tunnel, it's not like you are just going to lean over and crank down the passenger window. Try it in a manual crank Fiero. Not fun.

I also don't think you are considering that the tunnel may make manual unlocking of the passenger side more difficult.

So, if you're prepared to get out every time you want to roll down the passenger window, or unbuckle your seat belt every time you want to lock or unlock the passenger doorlock for your S.O., get the power option. Over the long run, you'll be happy you did.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My Miata has power windows and I wouldn't get anything else. It's next to impossible to reach over and get to the passenger's window so the power option is great. Mazda does have a good idea. They place the power switches for both windows on the center console. One set of switches for both windows in a central location. Good idea.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
Guys, I would get the power option.

So, if you're prepared to get out every time you want to roll down the passenger window, or unbuckle your seat belt every time you want to lock or unlock the passenger doorlock for your S.O., get the power option. Over the long run, you'll be happy you did.
Son of our best friends has the "car test" for qualifying dates. He unlocks passeneger door for them to get in. If he has to then unlock his driver's door because they couldn't reach over, then they failed the car test and he moves on. :yesnod:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts