Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Pontiac dealer reccomended this site. I'm in the market for an S2000 or a solstice.

I've looked at other offerings from other 2 seater car companies (Boxster, TT, Benz, Z4) and for the money (or even take money out of the equasion) they just don't stack up to the "S" in performance / handling etc. yes some have nicer interiors, options etc. but everytime i drove the "S" i think wow who let me take the race car off the track.

The Solstice has some cool styling and it will be new so it gets some points there but i feal like i'll be taking a huge kick in performance 170 HP?? i'm sure it handles well but i think most other cars (2 seaters mentioned above) will eat it for lunch. Why if pontiac is coming to the table so late would they make a car so weak in performance? i can't get into the colors either.... and buying the first production year car from an american manufacturer makes me feal like i should begin to invite the service manger over for dinner every Sunday.

so what am i missing? Any chance on getting my hands on one before the cold weather sits in New England?

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I don't want to say never but you have very little chance of getting one this year. GM has over 9000 pre-orders so unless this dealer has room in his 1st allocation you won't see it this year.

As far as HP goes, base Solstice is Ok, not out of line in power on weight ratio for a base model (177hp) with many other base model roadsters. Next year they are rumored to be putting out a turbo which will definitely play in the S2K ballpark @ 250hp.

As far as handling goes we'll have some proof soon but we believe it will be outstanding.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Hey that's 177HP. Can't have any horses getting loose from the herd. ;) I think the Solstice is more of a Miata fighter than a S2000 fighter. That said, from reviews I've seen it seems to hold its own with the Honda at the Ride and Drives. In 2007, Pontiac will release the Solstice GXP with 250HP. That should be enough to get the Germans sweating.

Also, it appears Pontiac is working with aftermarket companies to have a lineup of performance parts ready to go. Sorta like they did back in the 60's.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The posted HP is now 177

If you poke around the forum for a while you will find lots of answers.

Some people have lamented the relatively low hp, but the base Solstice stacks up against the Z4 2.5 litre version. There is already talk of a turbo version possibly as early as next year. There are also after market people looking at providing a conversion kit. Since Solstice is a potentially large market product things like turbos and superchargers being available are highly likely.

If you want a car this year, you are probably out of luck, as many of us have had cars on order for months, with delivery still looking like mid September and beyond. But there may still be some obscure dealers out there with first allocation cars unsold.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
stang said:
Oh, I almost forgot. Some guy is shoving a Corvette engine into his Solstice. Should be good for 400HP. How's that for power!

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2656&highlight=mallet
Actually, we will be upgrading to a supercharged version that will gain over 700 whp!

My question to solstice/s2000 is, how do you figure the S2000 is better than the Porsche Boxster?? Take money out of the equation, how can you make such a statement? Did you drive both the Boxster and S2000 on same day? If not, go back and drive them back to back. The Porsche Boxster is unequalled by any of the vehicles you mentioned. To make a statement "for the money (or even take money out of the equasion) they just don't stack up to the "S" in performance / handling etc." is unbelievable! If you have driven both back to back and still feel this way; you can not drive a sports car and should not be allowed anywhere near one! :lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
solstice/s2000 said:
Hi All,

Pontiac dealer reccomended this site. I'm in the market for an S2000 or a solstice.

I've looked at other offerings from other 2 seater car companies (Boxster, TT, Benz, Z4) and for the money (or even take money out of the equasion) they just don't stack up to the "S" in performance / handling etc. yes some have nicer interiors, options etc. but everytime i drove the "S" i think wow who let me take the race car off the track.

The Solstice has some cool styling and it will be new so it gets some points there but i feal like i'll be taking a huge kick in performance 170 HP?? i'm sure it handles well but i think most other cars (2 seaters mentioned above) will eat it for lunch. Why if pontiac is coming to the table so late would they make a car so weak in performance? i can't get into the colors either.... and buying the first production year car from an american manufacturer makes me feal like i should begin to invite the service manger over for dinner every Sunday.

so what am i missing? Any chance on getting my hands on one before the cold weather sits in New England?

Dave
You are not considering a Solstice you make all these negitive comments about it and want us to beieve you are serious. You are just someone trying to stur up trouble on the site and bash the product. As I notice from another post that you are indeed a DF. My last comment to anything you post and encourage others to do the same.

·
5,600 Posts
solstice/s2000 said:
Hi All,

The Solstice has some cool styling and it will be new so it gets some points there but i feal like i'll be taking a huge kick in performance 170 HP...
i'm sure it handles well but i think most other cars (2 seaters mentioned above) will eat it for lunch....

Why if pontiac is coming to the table so late would they make a car so weak in performance...

buying the first production year car from an american manufacturer makes me feal like i should begin to invite the service manger over for dinner every Sunday...

so what am i missing?

Dave
If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. :yawn:

So what year is your current S2K? I'll bet it's Berlina :spam:

·
Registered
58 Posts
The S is ok, you'll see 50 on your drive home tomorrow. Some will be 911's but you won't know it.

S2 is a honda.

the SLK has the best roof on the world and for $56K and a great AMG package, its great looking, heated seats and great sound. but the 32, and the 55 are AUTOMATICS, no stick. Great in the snow with the 225s too..

Z4 3.0s are fun, nice roofs and a bit too heavy to toss but are ego neutral now that the '80's and 90's are behind us. but a Z3m is a ball (2002's at $25k though)

Hate the TT, chicks car that dives like a pickup full of sand going into corners (rally car my %$#, not with the stock suspension)

the Solstice is the 'next new thing" a great 10 month car...kinda 'go american' and at $24k nobody gets hurt. I think its a chicks car but the guys here belly up and say 'oh no' its macho........yeah retro too.

Just depends what your looking for. cars are like a watch, depends on where your taking it.

Meet a guy with a prowler (which I think were a great and admirable risk for the big C) over the weekend who said that was his 'dinner' car. Great way to put it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was in the same boat and went with the S2000 for a few reasons. This first was because of availability. I was in the market for something in June. I really didn't want to wait a year. The second reason was that Honda was offering a $299 lease deal on the S2000 which is an awesome value for that car. I wasn't super keen on taking a first model year car. I did that with a grand cherokee once and had TONS of problems with it.

That being said, when the S2000 lease is up a turbo solstice will definately be on my list.

To whomever said that the Boxter was hands down a better car than the S2000, you need to do a little research. Car and Driver and Mototrend have rated the Boxter below the S2000 in every single comparo they've done. I also have a video from a japanese TV show where they put a 350Z, S2000, Skyline, BMW M3 and Boxter on a track to compare them. The 350Z, S2000, Skyline and M3 all finished very close to each other (less than 2 seconds from first to last). The Boxter almost got lapped if I remember correctly. The driver was cracking jokes on the in car camera about how bad it was.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Detroit_Doc said:
I was in the same boat and went with the S2000 for a few reasons. This first was because of availability. I was in the market for something in June. I really didn't want to wait a year. The second reason was that Honda was offering a $299 lease deal on the S2000 which is an awesome value for that car. I wasn't super keen on taking a first model year car. I did that with a grand cherokee once and had TONS of problems with it.

That being said, when the S2000 lease is up a turbo solstice will definately be on my list.

To whomever said that the Boxter was hands down a better car than the S2000, you need to do a little research. Car and Driver and Mototrend have rated the Boxter below the S2000 in every single comparo they've done. I also have a video from a japanese TV show where they put a 350Z, S2000, Skyline, BMW M3 and Boxter on a track to compare them. The 350Z, S2000, Skyline and M3 all finished very close to each other (less than 2 seconds from first to last). The Boxter almost got lapped if I remember correctly. The driver was cracking jokes on the in car camera about how bad it was.

Not how bad it was, but it was more of a cruiser and he could get more chicks with it, and the smooth interior LOL, I love that vid. I have the vid on my comp, and I remember the poor guy being left behind, but he didn't get lapped, he was just a whole minute or so behind.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry the comment was lost on some
its a honda, smaaaalll h as in oh. you know a Hunter (for the sailors), a bluelight special, a POC, same-on-same-old.

I do think the honda is more a guys looking car, but I just don't understand cars built without any soul. Even Sonny had a soul.

Boxsters are Sports Cars, honda builds sporty cars...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know what the Japanese where drinking that day, and Car and Driver will say anything for a price. Having drove both the 2.2L S2000 and 2.7L Boxster at Virginia International Raceway (Full course) this year the Boxster does everything right on and off the track. My laps around VIR averaged 6-8 seconds faster in Boxster. The car is very easy to control on a 4-wheel drift (you haven't experience this yet, you need too). The torque out of the turns was perfect on the Boxster with the S2000 lagging everytime, the S2000 was the worst coming out of "Oak Tree". My timer said I was 3 seconds faster on the back straight after "Oak Tree" in the Boxster and it felt like it too! I'm an experience Integra racer (ITS class) and my times in a Integra GS-R racecar are 13 seconds faster than my best S2000 lap, but to be fair it was over 3 seconds faster than my best Boxster lap. Race tires, brakes, and a 2500 lb car makes the difference.

So, don't give me what you read garage about which car is better. Drive them both, go to the dealer and take them for a ride and you come back and tell me which one feels like the better sports car. Don't be fooled by how loud the S2000 sounds over the Boxster; just watch the speedometer as your driving. The S2000 is a nice looking convertible car and is fun to drive around town. Spend an extra $15k and you get a true sports car that can be pushed hard. This why Porsche has been forced to come out with the hard-top version next year, Cayman. The true Porsche fans have been demanding a mid-engine car that can compete at the track.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
s2000 guy said:
My question to solstice/s2000 is, how do you figure the S2000 is better than the Porsche Boxster??
i know better than to "pick fights" in a solstice forum but i couldn't resist posting this

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6846&page_number=6

If the link doesn't work car and driver picked it as number one... again not looking to make the feathers fly :leaving: (you guys got cool smilies in here)

Again, Car and Driver goes with the highest paid buyer. Go back and look at some of their comparsions in the past, I still laugh at the GTO vs Mustang one. Car and Driver gave the nod to the Mustang with the "Gotta have factor" after the GTO beat it in ever performance test. Don't base your opinion on what someone else said, you really need to drive it yourself!

Again, I raced a Honda on the track and loved it. This is one of the reason I know a good sports car when I drive one. One of most favorite experiences is when I was in track school with all the other wanabes. My little Integra going around the track making those V8's move over to let me pass. The rule in school is if someone comes up behind you on the track you have to let me by on the next straight. I would see a lot unhappy faces as I would wave after getting the pass signal. :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
Delnari said:
Again, Car and Driver goes with the highest paid buyer. Go back and look at some of their comparsions in the past, I still laugh at the GTO vs Mustang one. Car and Driver gave the nod to the Mustang with the "Gotta have factor" after the GTO beat it in ever performance test. :lol:
That review completely floored me. Looks aside, they to praised every aspect of the GTO above the Mustang GT, then go on to pick the Mustang based on its looks. Incredible!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solstice/s2000 said:
Hi All,

Cool.

I've looked at other offerings from other 2 seater car companies (Boxster, TT, Benz, Z4) and for the money (or even take money out of the equasion) they just don't stack up to the "S" in performance / handling etc.
All those are nice roadsters. The S2k is probably a little more oriented towards track performance than some of those, but I cannot imagine anyone being unhappy with the performance of any of them. I doubt any of them can be driven to their limit on public roads anyway. So whichever one is minutely better in overall performance for most people is a moot point anyway.

yes some have nicer interiors, options etc. but everytime i drove the "S" i think wow who let me take the race car off the track.
Sounds like you like the S2K better than the others. That is fine. It is a great car!

The Solstice has some cool styling and it will be new so it gets some points there but i feal like i'll be taking a huge kick in performance 170 HP?? i'm sure it handles well but i think most other cars (2 seaters mentioned above) will eat it for lunch. [/quote]

The two seaters mentioned above compete in a different price class. Pontiac is introducing a $20K roadster, and you want it to compete directly with cars carrying MSRP's from $33K up over $50K. It is somewhat unrealistic to think the cheapest roadster on the market could stack up in all areas to some of the more expensive roadsters on the market.

Why if pontiac is coming to the table so late would they make a car so weak in performance?
Right now, there is not another roadster on the market with an MSRP under $30K with more HP than the Solstice. It is not weak for it's price range.

i can't get into the colors either....
There is a pretty good range of colors. What color would you prefer to see?

and buying the first production year car from an american manufacturer makes me feal like i should begin to invite the service manger over for dinner every Sunday.[/quote]

QM quality has been on a steady improvement, and they are ranked among the best automakers for initial and 3 year quality. In the JD Power 3 year quality study, GM had the top ranked car in 8 of 19 categories. In initial quality, the Pontiac G6 won the Strategic Vision award for best midsize sedan, over the Camry and Accord in it's first year on the market. The perception that GM is making junk these days is a myth.

so what am i missing?
If you ask me, what you are missing is the fact that you really, really like the S2K. Nothing wrong with that. If you like it a lot, it may be the best roadster for you to get.

Any chance on getting my hands on one before the cold weather sits in New England?

Dave[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey "DEL" I was looking up the car and driver artical while you were posting... wasn't trying to be a wise a$$ and post the artical after your thread.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Delnari said:
s2000 guy said:
My question to solstice/s2000 is, how do you figure the S2000 is better than the Porsche Boxster??

Again, Car and Driver goes with the highest paid buyer. Go back and look at some of their comparsions in the past, I still laugh at the GTO vs Mustang one. Car and Driver gave the nod to the Mustang with the "Gotta have factor" after the GTO beat it in ever performance test

:agree: i wasn't getting that one either.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is a zombie thread from 2005. Not sure why you are commenting, when "Pontiac Dealer" was used in the OP. To anyone else I suppose, that would have been a solid clue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts