Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished speaking with several pontiac dealerships in southern california (orange county) regarding ordering a solstice. One dealer I had visited a few days ago. The saleman I spoke to at the time appeared to be very helpful and upfront about the vehicle. He provided me with a brochure (the Apprentice brochure) to take home and read. Also, he was very patient in explaining the ordering process to me and mentioning the deposit required ($500). I left the dealership feeling satisfied that I would be making the right decision in ordering a Solstice. I returned to the dealership this morning, ready to place an order for a fully loaded Sly Solstice. I had a check in my hand for the deposit, ready to turn over to the salesman. Well, imagine my unpleasant surprise when I told by the salesman "oh by the way, there is a $3000 dealer mark up on all Solstices". I asked why he mention this to me the first time I visited the dealership and he muttered some b.s. excuse. Needless to say, I got up and walked out of the dealership. Two other Pontiac dealerships that I called also said they would be marking up the vehicles. Pontiac has now lost a future customer for good!! I called Saturn and spoke to a very friendly salesman who assured me that Saturn absolutely WOULD NOT allow its dealerships to mark up the price of the Sky roadster when it goes on sale early next year. He told me to call him back in August (he said they should have much more info on the vehicle, including a sales brochure about that time) and he would be happy to place my name on a waiting list. I cannot justify "throwing away" a few thousand dollars, just to be one of the first owners of a new car, no matter how popular and hot it may be. Like any other hot-selling vehicle, sales a sure to cool off. Also, I figure that I can get what amounts to the same basic vehicle fully equipped if I'm willing to wait a few more months and save myself the money. So, it looks like I will be a future Saturn owner.

Did anyone else have a similar experience. Sorry this post is so long!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
There has been some discussions of markups but so far it hasn't been too bad (but it's early). You did the right thing by holding off. Markups are just bad all around.

Some people have gone hunting for other Pontiac dealers who don't have markups and reported back with success.

Saturn of course has a no haggle MSRP guarantee all the time so Saturn is safe bet. Pontiac dealers will cool off after the supply catches up later in the fall. It's really hit or miss with the dealers in your area.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It a terrible thing to treat potential new customer that way. Most dealerships strive to create repeat business instead of the quick one-sale profit. The Saturn way of doing business is based on this and they have the best brand loyalty around. You will like the Saturn way of doing things, and if the wait is not to bad for you; you will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You

Thanks for your responses - it's good to know that others feel the same as I do in regards to markups. I know that I'm making the right decision by waiting for the Sky.

Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
There are definitely more dealers NOT marking up than are marking up. UNfortunately it may be based on different areas of the country.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dealerships here in Miami are asking for mark-ups of $10,000 over MSRP. Apparently, there is much too much 'silly-money' floating around South Florida and dealerships think they can exploit the limited availability of the Solstice. I sent an e-mail to Pontiac making them aware of this price-gouging, but they simply responded politely that they have no control over dealer practices, but "thanks for your e-mail!" Fortunately, I was encouraged by other members here on the forum to shop around, so I did. I was able to find an initial allocation Solstice at a dealership just a few hours north of Miami -- and they were selling AT MSRP, no mark-ups.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't think your location is helping your cause, either. I know there are plently of people out there just trying to make a living like the rest of us, but I think most people will agree that SoCal's got an abnormally high concentration of people that have more money than they know what to do with.

The Saturn deal sounds like a winner in your area with a car with strong demand, but if you really like the Solstice, don't let a few local dealers ruin your fun. Keep calling dealers around your area, sooner or later you're bound to find one who will let it go for MSRP...even if it means you have to drive a couple hours to pick it up, oh well.

Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It is an unfortunate trait of big market dealers to mark up hot selling cars which seems particularly common among foreign car dealers. You might try calling or visiting a small, rural Pontiac dealer in your region. Perhaps you will have better success.

·
Registered
91 Posts
...but I think most people will agree that SoCal's got an abnormally high concentration of people that have more money than they know what to do with.

Ditto Miami.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have not ran accross any dealers in S.C. marking up the Soltice I have spoken with several and all said it would be MSRP. I went with the dealer we had puchased a Yukon from back in September. He only wanted a $300 deposit. We even did all the transaction on the phone. He mailed me all info showing the MSRP as the sales price.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
newfan said:
...but I think most people will agree that SoCal's got an abnormally high concentration of people that have more money than they know what to do with.

Ditto Miami.
No place is immune, newfan. But I hear what you say. Keep in mind that wherever ther are people with way too much disposable income there is an equalizing network of organizations trying to cure that.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. We all frown on markups, and encourage people to walk away from dealers who are marking up cars. However, that is no reason to write off buying a Pontiac or a Solstice for life.

As you said youself, markups won't last. By the time the Sky is available, the markups on Solstices might be gone too. Then it comes down to which car you like better.

You may also want to see about getting a car at a different dealer, even out of state. GTOJ, our supporting dealer on this site, can sell to anyone, anywhere in the country and have the car shipped to a dealer close to you. He is also selling at MSRP, not above. I am sure many other dealers could do this too (The Chevy dealers on Corvetteforum sell to out of state buyers all the time).

If you really want a Solstice, you can still get one. If you end up liking the Sky better, it will also be a fabulous choice! :thumbs:

·
Registered
201 Posts
newfan said:

Ditto Miami.
Ditto Bay Area. FYI, I shopped around and ended up getting one about 40 miles south in Monterey.

There are honest dealers out there, just not in major cities :brentil:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Fformula88 said:
You may also want to see about getting a car at a different dealer, even out of state. GTOJ, our supporting dealer on this site, can sell to anyone, anywhere in the country and have the car shipped to a dealer close to you.
Yep ... the "courtesy delivery" thing you mentioned sounds like a great way to go in this instance. I think it would be hilarious to pick up your new Solstice at the same dealer you walked out of and know they won't get credit for the sale and at the same time see that you only paid MSRP. :lol:

How about somebody posting a dealership that is known to sell at MSRP and still has some allocation available? (I don't think that would violate forum policy if it's just stated as such and not actually advertising. ???) That way, he could look into it without having to call random dealers everywhere. That is of course, if our supporting dealers are out ... I'm making a wild guess here that they probably don't have any left in their allocation, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
bigjon

Try going on "Edmunds.com" and part of their website includes putting in your zip code and vehicle you want and a deale(s) will respond.

when I worked in SoCal. a Navy buddy wanted a new BMW Z3 (which most dealers were marking up). he called all BMW dealers in SoCal. and got his price. A little leg work will get you what you want. Good Luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't confuse dealers w/ smart business

Mark my words, one day we will be w/o dealerships.

My dealer and I were discussing mark-ups. Let me first tell you that I'm in sales with years professional course work.

The dealer told me "it was in his best interest to extract as much value as he could from everything." I agree, but that is why they have LIST pricing or in the automotive world, MSRP. Then sell additional items such as service contracts, extended warranties etc.

The other comment that he made was that "All it takes is one dealer to drop the ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) and it screws all of us."

Well, I'm guessing that dealer that dropped the ADM, got smart and sold a car.

Bad Examples for ADM's:

2004 GTO
"new" Thunderbird
SSR
Crossfire (a new 2004 Crossfire is at my dealer with a price of $24,995!!! TODAY!)

I walked out of a different dealer in 1993 when the new Camaro came out because it had an ADM...well look at the Camaro now.

Dealers, some advice: just take my name, deposit and order the car car w/o an ADM...and then sell me other things to make more money. Or, treat me nice and I WILL COME BACK!

FYI, I did buy my Solstice from the dealer I was talking to...but I bought it at MSRP.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Some dealerships have a no markup policy, shop around and ask up front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I walked into my local dealer (Metrowest suburbs, Boston) this evening to inquire about the possibility of getting my wife a Solstice as a surprise 40th birthday present (early fall).

He told me that:

1. The Solstice will not begin production until August and the first vehicles thus won't be on the road until October

2. The ENTIRE first year of production is sold out across the country

3. They have orders for 10 of the vehicles

4. Maybe I would get lucky and one of their early depositees would back out.

Is this accurate information?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Be careful with some dealer info, some like to make stuff up.

1. The Solstice will not begin production until August and the first vehicles thus won't be on the road until October.
We don't know when it will begin. His guess is as good as ours but his is a guess too.

2. The ENTIRE first year of production is sold out across the country
News was over 8100 orders were sold in 10 days after 4/15. No idea if all those people will hang on past fall especially in the north. Estimated production #s were 20,000 per year but this is a half year since they are starting in middle?

3. They have orders for 10 of the vehicles.
Very possible.

4. Maybe I would get lucky and one of their early depositees would back out.
Very possible (see item #2 above)

Shop around a little, maybe you'll find a dealer who doesn't have so many people stacked up. Ask each what their first 4 month "allocation" is and how many people they have with deposits down. Also beware of markups.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice! You all should be commended; the forum is very informative and I've been lurking for several days gleaning information about the Solstice.

I'm sure that GM must be very happy with the initial response to the Solstice. I wonder if they would consider using some of their excess manufacturing capacity across other lines to make the Solstice. Obviously, this would require a massive retooling of another plant for the Kappa platform. Will the Sky be built at the same plant as the Solstice?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts