Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I turned my car off after getting home and the engine fan stayed on so I thought that was weird and checked the coolant temperature and it was 226 degrees. I figured it was the thermostat so I replaced that this morning but it still runs around 220. Any idea what this could be? My water pump does not seem to be leaking either.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
If you replaced the thermo, you have air in the system. The way I knew, was I started it, drove it around the neighborhood and kept the drive short (1/4 mile). Got it on hard once. Then broke hard. Watch your temp. If it moves rapidly, there's an air bubble. If it is a consistent movement, something else is wrong like a possible blown head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either air in the system or a stuck thermostat, but I'll guess it's just air.
Follow this to get the air out, then go for a drive and fully warm it up, let it cool down and bleed it again.

Thank you! I am hoping that is what the problem is because that’s not a hard fix. I also hooked my car up to a CEL scanner and it said I was throwing a P0088 code. Not sure if that has anything to do with it overheating or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's a thread I just read on SkyRoadster or KappaForum that promotes drilling a 1/16 inch hole in the thermostat before installing to help air escape; and that small of a hole won't significantly affect warmup times.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
There's a thread I just read on SkyRoadster or KappaForum that promotes drilling a 1/16 inch hole in the thermostat before installing to help air escape; and that small of a hole won't significantly affect warmup times.
Drilling the hole does help in purging air from the system and will not affect warmup time. Some thermostats in some cars and trucks come with a jiggle valve (hole) as original equipment. I have always drilled my sol thermostats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P0088 is fuel rail pressure too high
Alright so I’m assuming that probably doesn’t have to do with it overheating? Also I’m looking for a new fuel pressure regulator but can’t seem to find any online. I’ve seen other discussions saying that it’s located in the fuel pump assembly located near the gas tank. Does anyone happen to know anything about this?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Do you have a GXP? Fuel regulator on the GXP is up by the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump). That's what ticks. It's the "spider". You're overheating could be a result of fuel pressure. Usually though it's low fuel pressure for heat. It's a very easy replacement if it needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
49 Posts
Interesting. Where do they recommend placing the hole? On the plunger or on the frame next to it?

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
735 Posts
I would put no larger than 1/8".I would think a 1/16" would be good. you dont want too much warm up time to throw a code like mine.Im wondering if mine has a leekey seal. it works right but warm up time can be too long.it could also be stuck open a tad. I would also position the hole upwards when installing the tstat for the air purging.
I was looking at new tstat housing, they list the 06 as being different....or possiably it's just a rong listing..some say 06&07 diferent...I wouldent know Ive never seen the thingys. price range from $37~100+ for the same thing by different venders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts