Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
905 Posts
Those typically provide an extra 15-25hp? Wow for around $200 that's a good deal if it's true.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Those typically provide an extra 15-25hp? Wow for around $200 that's a good deal if it's true.
They're actually quite a joke, it's basically a resistor that you hook up the IAT (incoming air temp) sensor. Makes the engine think its getting colder air, so it richens up the mix. Good for maybe a couple HP, but once the computer learns the air isint and coler it will lean out the mix, making your $25 module, worthless.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My dad just got a performance ECU from Vance & Hines for his Harley and it said he'd get 10HP and 10lbs of torque, his was $250. I guess that was a waste :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Adrenaline said:
My dad just got a performance ECU from Vance & Hines for his Harley and it said he'd get 10HP and 10lbs of torque, his was $250. I guess that was a waste :(
Probably not. Good engine programming will remap ignition and fuel for improved performance on higher ctane fuel. Bad engine mods will do little to help and may well do more harm than good in the long run. Sounds like the ebay ad is for the latter and your dad bought the former. Reckon on about $50-100 per HP (real HP that is) for all of your mods and you've got a fair deal.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It did have 18 settings that had to be specifically mapped to his 88 Twincam & Vance & Hines exhaust system so I guess it wasn't a waste.

On a side note, are there any places that do dyno's for free?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Adrenaline said:
It did have 18 settings that had to be specifically mapped to his 88 Twincam & Vance & Hines exhaust system so I guess it wasn't a waste.

On a side note, are there any places that do dyno's for free?
Best you're going to get for Dyno prices is get into a group dyno day. A lot of car clubs in local areas will get together and spend the day at the dyno. You still have to pay, but it's cheaper and makes a fun get together. Dyno runs aren't usually to expensive. I know some local places that do 3 pulls for like $50. It's when you want them to do tuning it gets more expensive.

As was stated this type of IAT mod is a waste of money, and has a good chance of damaging your car. However the redone ECU like your dad got is a valid type of upgrade that can get decent increases. One of the things most of them is tune a car to user higher octane fuel compared to a stock ECU. You gotta make sure you're getting a quality one though. Don't get a new ECU from some unknown maker.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So there's a possibility that an aftermarket Solstice ECU tuned for 93 Octane would get decent increase if done properly?

I guess when we get Solstice Groups together we should all dyno our cars, especially after we start modding them.

Thanks for the info as usual!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Adrenaline said:
So there's a possibility that an aftermarket Solstice ECU tuned for 93 Octane would get decent increase if done properly?

I guess when we get Solstice Groups together we should all dyno our cars, especially after we start modding them.

Thanks for the info as usual!
Well the car is already tuned for 91 octane, so you could possibly get something tuned a little higher if you're in a 93 octane region. However when you travelyou might find yourself in places that then don't have the optimal fuel you want You can always get it tuned to use more fuel to, because most car makers balance fuel economy vs power when designing their ECUs. Most after market ones will tune to give you a higher redline, use higher octane, and alter the air/fual ratios to consume more fuel to get more power. Like my ZX2 S/R for example. The normal ZX2 gets 25/33 MPG, but the S/R adds a 91+ tuned ECU with redline increase and changed the A/F ratio. I get only like 24/28 MPG now. Which is why I've said several times the non-performance versions of the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC engine I bet will get much better fuel economy values. Because my car really only gains like 10 HP with the ECU/Intake/Exhaust but I loose 1/5 MPG.

I plan on doing a dyno pull after I finish breaking my car in to get a baseline of how it runs. Then I wan't to try various items and see how they do dyno #'s wise.

·
Registered
305 Posts
dori-san said:
:glol: OMG HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

what's even funnier is that I just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7987167144&category=33597&rd=1

A performance boosting module claiming a 15-25hp gain! GET IT NOW, for your car that YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE YET! ahahahaha!!! The sh*tty rice-mod market better not swallow this car up, I won't stand for it I tell you!
I saw this the other day and found the optima R web site. It all seem like a hoax to me. How can they optimize for a car they have not seen?

Also you will not find any product information on the site???? Just BS!!!!

Seems like a smoke screen to me, or a ploy to make you think products
being sold on ebay are real and your getting a deal.

Be careful of this one, I would say.

Later!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts