Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posted today at 12:40 PM http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/ interesting discussion on Solstice with Clay Dean. Freely discussing Over 1 g and sub 6 second times (performance version?), racing possibilities to come. PLUS, GM is officially working on a removable hardtop, talks about new colors every 6 months or so with YELLOWS in the mix.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Here's the info for the blog for when it eventually falls off the page.
In our new podcast, host Deb Ochs interviews Clay Dean, director of design for small and mid-size vehicles, about the Pontiac Solstice, which goes on sale later this year. He talks about its development process, what colors it will come in, what’s the deal with those bumps on the back, and what the roof will look like.

One new feature of the Solstice is that you won’t need a transmitter or cassette adapter to listen to your iPod through the sound system. Its radio includes an auxiliary input jack for an iPod or other audio source. The radio will also come standard in the Chevrolet HHR, Impala and Monte Carlo, the Saturn Vue and Ion, the Buick Lucerne and the Cadillac DTS. There’s an interesting discussion of it at Autoblog. Tell us what you think of the podcast and the radio.

Paste this URL into your RSS reader to get the podcast:

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/podcast/solstice_podcast.xml

Or download the MP3

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Luc said:
He mentions 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds. That's pretty good.
Listening to it now. That's a lot lower then the 7.2 sec listed in the online documentation. Not sure how real that is.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil said:
Listening to it now. That's a lot lower then the 7.2 sec listed in the online documentation. Not sure how real that is.
Maybe he was referring to the aluminum bodied prototype.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It is worth to hear what he has to say about the car. Some of the things that stand out to me are:
  • the performance (o - 60 in 5.4 secs.)
  • removable hard top available later
  • automatic available later
  • iPod support right away
  • new colours every 6 months or so
  • the humps in the back are rollover protection

·
Registered
154 Posts
He said yellow was available, new colors every six to 12 months.
He also said the humps were rollover protection. :lol:
Also hardtop in the works. Hope they make it fit on the original, not just later versions.
SEMA should be cool NEXT year for solstice lovers.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yeah, I'm not so sure about some of the stuff he talks about. It all sounds very cool, but I'm :skep:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
0-60 5.4 sec has to be some higher output version (although he doesn't mention that).

Also mentions top is very "easy" to operate, mentions 2 simple "latches"

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
waiting said:
He said yellow was available, new colors every six to 12 months.
He also said the humps were rollover protection. :lol:
Also hardtop in the works. Hope they make it fit on the original, not just later versions.
SEMA should be cool NEXT year for solstice lovers.
Hardtops will only fit yellow Solstices. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
When he's talking about 0-60 in 5.4s they had moved on to talking about production models. Trying to listen to this at work but I'm having a hard time mkaing out what he's saying with it turned down.

Yellow??????????????????

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
I listen to the whole thing and he seems to be talking about the production car. So now we have a differnet number 0-60 in 5.4s instead of 7.2s. The operation of the top is very easy.....
Performance options to be seen at SEMA in November....
Now we are going to be talking about these numbers until the car comes out or GM gives us the official numbers.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LatinVenom said:
I listen to the whole thing and he seems to be talking about the production car. So now we have a differnet number 0-60 in 5.4s instead of 7.2s. The operation of the top is very easy.....
Performance options to be seen at SEMA in November....
Now we are going to be talking about these numbers until the car comes out or GM gives us the official numbers.
Hmmm, if they're showing the Performance options at SEMA there's usually a lead time between then and when they really come out. Like the Grand Prix GXP isn't out yet, or the V8 Impala.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Confirms some of what I suspected - the Solstice Concept was first, then the decision to produce it, then the search for a platform to make it on (which failed), then the all new Kappa platform formation following the decision to produce the Solstice.

Unless I heard the broadcast incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It can't be 5.4 secs on the 177HP, that would be faster than a vette I think. Best guess is a slip-up because his mind is working on the future higher HP version (like the test mule pictures in the other thread). I know he said it it with regard to production but I'm thinking slip-of-the-tongue. Even with that, those are impressive #s for those who want the FI version.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
And the cadillac commercials:

"three... under 5"

Back calculating, to go 0-60 in 5.4 for a 2860 lb curb (3060 with a 200# driver) you'd need nearly 238 hp.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You would think these things were listend to by various people before they actually got posted to the web for clarification and factuality. If you also notice he said "over 1G in lateral cornering." This broadcast said a lot of information never officialy said about the Solstice before, I would like to assume it was listened to by people like Bob or someone who knows what's going on.

I re-listened to what he said about SEMA. He wasn't saying the high performance versions would be shown at SEMA, but was saying he thinks the things they'll be showing at SEMA will prove how race worthy the Solstice is.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts