Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an interview in our local paper with GM's Gary Cowger where he is stating the Solstice starting price and the Canadian price by inference:

GM HAS HIGH HOPES FOR ECONOMICAL SOLSTICE

GM executives - vice-chairman Bob Lutz chief among them - have been vowing for several years that the Pontiac Solstice roadster would be sold for less than $20,000 US. It will be, Gary Cowger confirmed during a private interview with Canadian automotive writers.

The curvy little Solstice convertible will sell for $19,900 US when it goes on sale this fall, Cowger confirmed Sunday. Do the math on the recent Canadian currency valuations and you would probably be in the ballpark for a Canadian price.

General Motors keeps saying the Solstice will be a low-volume niche vehicle.

The marketing people have been talking in terms of selling 20,000 of them the first year, Cowger said - but he doesn't believe that number for a second anymore.

"I think we'll blow through that number," Cowger told The Star. "If you go by consumer reaction alone, this thing is just going to be a tremendous hit. I'm really excited about it. Really excited." Cowger has the same prediction to make for the new H3 Hummer mentioned above, the one based on the mid-sized General Motors pickup truck platform. "It's going to be huge for Hummer. It's smaller and friendlier and more fuel efficient. People are going to love it."

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
The marketing people have been talking in terms of selling 20,000 of them the first year, Cowger said - but he doesn't believe that number for a second anymore.

"I think we'll blow through that number," Cowger told The Star. "If you go by consumer reaction alone, this thing is just going to be a tremendous hit. I'm really excited about it. Really excited." Cowger has the same prediction to make for the new H3 Hummer mentioned above, the one based on the mid-sized General Motors pickup truck platform. "It's going to be huge for Hummer. It's smaller and friendlier and more fuel efficient. People are going to love it."

Wow! Do you think maybe Cowger and Wagoner should sit down and talk? Maybe?

·
Registered
182 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Wow! Do you think maybe Cowger and Wagoner should sit down and talk? Maybe?
:agree

I can see this car selling through the roof the first few years, but I don't want see production get so far ahead of itself so that when sales fall off there will be 60,000 solstices and 20,000 buyers

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Overproduction and underpurchase are part of the puzzle why Ford already announced demise of T-bird.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
achieftain said:
Overproduction and underpurchase are part of the puzzle why Ford already announced demise of T-bird.
And why there are now VW bugs and PT cruisers sitting on lots by the dozens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So that would be $24,300 CDN with todays rate.
I do not think they will of 0% rates on Solstice either
But it will still be cheap then getting a HD hog for a mid life change :jester

·
Registered
535 Posts
airbalancer said:
I know the exchange is very favourable right now, but that may not last long-term. Based on the historical values that were in affect since I started watching the solstice I have already budgeted $28k Cdn base. If it is MSRP'd at the price you quoted I will cream my pants! There has been no currency correction of that magnitude on any currently selling vehicle that I'm aware of which means at just under $25K Cdn the Solstice would TROUNCE every other "sport type" vehicle out there. Hell it would be priced under a Civic Si, Hyundai Tiburon and $5k less than a top of the line RSX or Celica! I can't see it, but I hope you are right.

·
Registered
180 Posts
airbalancer said:
I used $20,000 US and went to http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/exchform.htm to convert. Usually GM sells to Canada less then the exchange rate

·
Registered
76 Posts
airbalancer said:
:cheers Based on today's exchange rate, the price in Canada just got $300 cheaper... :thumbs

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
If we could have the Diefenbaker buck show up for just a little while. OOOPS dated myself. Not to rain on anyones parade in Canada but don't forget to save an additional 15%. :cuss In Ontario.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts