Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to the forum. My big concern about the solstice is how close will the average dealership get to the advertised $19,000 MSRP? I'm afraid once these cars hit the lot, the greedy dealerships will impose really high markups. Bottom line, if that thing goes beyond $23,000 I probably wont afford it. Also, a bit off topic, but is there a release date for the Sky, Saturn's version of the solstice? Does it have an advertised MSRP yet? One more thing and i'll go away, do the insurance companies have specs for the car, so they can give an accurate insurance quote? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can assure you that the car insurance companies do not have any info on the Sol. I called just this morning cause I was wondering the same thing. The guy at USAA told me that he did not have any info on it as of yet, instead he ran me the insurance quote for an '05 Miata. (by the way, USAA has AWESOME RATES)
After he gave me my numbers (around 1600 bi-annually) I guess he went on the web and searched for it. He thought it was a very sweet looking ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I also have USAA, and are VERY aware of their rates (awesome indeed) I ran the same numbers on an '05 miata and to my surprise, it's only about $35 more per month than i'm currently paying for my 2000 Silverado (which is surprising considering i'm a 20 yr old male with a not-so-clean driving past.) My quote was for about $1900 a year. Thanks again for your reply.

I'm still dreading the mark-up from the dealership. I'm planning on trading my truck in for 9 to 10 grand, and I've already talked to my bank about a $15,000 loan. So hopefully I can get one for $25,000 including tax. I've got til december (I think that's when they're coming in) to save up, so hopefully I can have another 5 grand saved up just in case. Can anyone give me some tips about price negotiation? (first time car buyer) I don't wanna get screwed.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Don't pay a markup at a dealer. Although there are dealers who are marking up, there are also plenty of dealers who are selling at MSRP! I am yet to see anyone get one at under MSRP, but I certainly would not pay over.

If a dealer does ask for more than MSRP, just look elsewhere or be patient and wait!

·
Registered
139 Posts
just walk into the place wearing a suit and carrying 20000 dollars worth of twentys in a briefcase and say, " i want that one." if they say no, just calmly start for the door. id be willing to bet you wont make it to the door...

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Saturn Sky will be more expensive than the Solstice, but it will have more standard features.

Once the Solstice gets on the lot...who doesn't expect thousands of dollars of dealer markup?! The Solstice is a beautiful car, and the dealers will make a killing. It's truly going to be tough getting a good deal on a Solstice once they start appearing on the streets.

I'm eagerly waiting for the turbo Solstice, but shoot, I'm a cheap [email protected] If I can't have a Solstice near MSRP, I'm thinking a stripped down Nissan 350Z coupe might soothe the pain of no Solstice and no convertible. Even stripped of options, it's got 287HP V6, lots of standard equipment...a few thousand under MSRP makes it a compelling sportscar choice, IMHO.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nix Sol said:
I can assure you that the car insurance companies do not have any info on the Sol. I called just this morning cause I was wondering the same thing. The guy at USAA told me that he did not have any info on it as of yet, instead he ran me the insurance quote for an '05 Miata. (by the way, USAA has AWESOME RATES)
After he gave me my numbers (around 1600 bi-annually) I guess he went on the web and searched for it. He thought it was a very sweet looking ride.
Progressive has info on the car. I got a great quote from them back in April. I am in AZ.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Found that if your willing to drive a bit to a dealer, they can be had for list. Had to call 9 dealers before I found one though. If I had it to do over, I would have started with the more rural dealers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See that's where I think I have an advantage. I'm military stationed in a small farming town in oklahoma. Most people drive trucks n suvs. Also, the GMC dealership is owned by people who have a good reputation and would like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I called USAA back in April as well, I was told I could get it for $1800 a year, not bad considering my 97 Sunfire is $1500 a year.

·
Registered
275 Posts
if you buy the car before the insurance companies have their information on it, then usually they will use the cost-new to figure a rate for the first 6 months to a year. after that, your rate may change. but your first year may be cheaper this way, since the car is only $20k!

·
5,600 Posts
The Batman said:
Once the Solstice gets on the lot...who doesn't expect thousands of dollars of dealer markup?! The Solstice is a beautiful car, and the dealers will make a killing. It's truly going to be tough getting a good deal on a Solstice once they start appearing on the streets.

If I can't have a Solstice near MSRP, I'm thinking a stripped down Nissan 350Z coupe might soothe the pain of no Solstice and no convertible.
I am inclined to agree with you. The Solstice will be strictly a "sellers market" until demand meets supply in the short term. I am fortunate that I am in no hurry to get a Solstice, so I can outwait the initial sales frenzy. I can only say it again - if people would not pay mark-up then dealers would not expect it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
wtrwlkr85 said:
See that's where I think I have an advantage. I'm military stationed in a small farming town in oklahoma. Most people drive trucks n suvs. Also, the GMC dealership is owned by people who have a good reputation and would like to keep it that way.
Keep in mind that some dealers will not be allocated any Solstices at all and most dealers have already sold their entire first four-month's allocation. Also, since the car will be so hot in southern climates, I read that some dealers are negotiating with northern dealears to get their allotments if they still have some available. Bottom line is that you better get moving if you want one of these cars anytime soon ... these things aren't going to be "in stock" on dealers' lots for quite a while and if you wait until they hit the street, it's going to be next to impossible to find them at MSRP.

So go find a dealer and get a deposit in if you can. The good thing is that dealers are saying it's a fully refundable deposit and you should be able to get it in writing. There is a lot of demand for this car so they won't have a problem getting rid of it if you bail. And you should even be able to pick your options if you get in now. Most dealers are asking for a $500 or $1000 deposit, but if you ask, some will try to work with you since a refundable deposit is really only a technicality anyway. Oh well ... not trying to sell you on the car or anything ... just don't want to see you disappointed if you were planning on dropping by a dealer and just picking one up later this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Insurance ...

Greetings People..i'm Stationed In Germany And I Also Have Usaa..they Gave Me A Quote Of 99 Dollars A Month:) Which I'm Fine With..i Called Early May And They Had The Specs On The Car.aafes Gave A Late July Delivery Date:)
Don't Forget The Gap Insurance!!!!!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
You must all be young whipper snappers if you are paying 14-18 hundred a year and think that is good. I am insuring my house, a 05 Hemi Magnum , and a 01 Silverado for 1800 a year. I haven't checked on rates but for me it has to be much cheaper.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts