Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Very cool! :thumbs: I wonder who's Sol they are working on?

·
1,492 Posts
nice pic!

Always wondered how they put them together.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was surprised too. That is not how I envisioned it at all. Looks pretty cool though. You never have to bend over. You just move the car. ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
LUVnSOL said:
Looks like my Sly----
.........or mine!! ;)

Hey, is that Gmlinedog?? Everyone wave!! :seeya:

- bspate -

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wonder if the whole floor area moves station to station? It kinda looks like theyre all working on static assembly jigs, but they must move, as it wouldnt seem efficient to move the workers or build groups in aisle. I was expecting to see an assembly belt like in the old Ford plant newsreels. I guess the large sections of the floor move along slowly with cars on adjustable jigs.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solstick said:
I wonder if the whole floor area moves station to station? It kinda looks like theyre all working on static assembly jigs, but they must move, as it wouldnt seem efficient to move the workers or build groups in aisle. I was expecting to see an assembly belt like in he old Ford plant newsreels. I guess are large section of the floor moves along slowly with cars on adjustable jigs?
If you look closely, you see that it looks like they are on a track. So the car stays on the stands and they just move it down the line and reposition the car to whatever they need it to be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
stang said:
If you look closely, you see that it looks like they are on a track. So the car stays on the stands and they just move it down the line and reposition the car to whatever they need it to be.
Neat.
Wish I had a lift like that in the garage!

The cars look a little small in comparison to the workers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry..

LUVnSOL said:
Nope it has to be mine my vin i s1963 you have to wait--- ;)
Sorry, I think its mine - 1621. :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Great shot! I've never seen the inside of a plant. Looks like fun.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Solstick said:
I wonder if the whole floor area moves station to station? It kinda looks like theyre all working on static assembly jigs, but they must move, as it wouldnt seem efficient to move the workers or build groups in aisle. I was expecting to see an assembly belt like in the old Ford plant newsreels. I guess the large sections of the floor move along slowly with cars on adjustable jigs.
I've been inside the GM plant in Shreveport a few times. This looks similar. The floor doesn't move, just the automobiles. The guys stand in the same place all night and do the same thing to 350 or so cars in a shift. My dad works at the end of the line on the chassis. He fixes things that aren't right at the end. If it takes too long he has to pull a cord to stop the cars. This essentially halts production and makes him feel like a jackass.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
BriBoop said:
I've been inside the GM plant in Shreveport a few times. This looks similar. The floor doesn't move, just the automobiles. The guys stand in the same place all night and do the same thing to 350 or so cars in a shift. My dad works at the end of the line on the chassis. He fixes things that aren't right at the end. If it takes too long he has to pull a cord to stop the cars. This essentially halts production and makes him feel like a jackass.
lol

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Hey, mine didn't come with the undercarriage air bag! Did I miss something on the order form? :lol:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If it takes too long he has to pull a cord to stop the cars. This essentially halts production and makes him feel like a jackass.

My work tells me to take the time to do it right.
So he feels bad because others make him feel bad?! Sucks for everyone else to be so sloppy on their work. If they did their job then he would have to do his!!!! :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.