Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to convert to projector HIDs mostly because I don't like the poor and uneven light distribution of the OEM headlights (plus, OK I admit it, a little for the bling).

So I did my research with this, and based primarily on recommendations from Travis (cartmann32) of Trax Customs, I bought the FX-R projectors as part of the FX-R Stage III kit from TheRetrofitSource.com (aka TRS). As noted previously, the cost was a little higher than I could've done from buying the parts carefully and separately off eBay, BUT it's a one-stop-shop, they include odd and ends that I didn't know I needed, plus great customer support and advice. If you're doing this, go to them! I went with the Orbit shrouds based on talking to TRS (thanks Matt!) as I wanted the most coverage I could get around the projector lens. He gave me a short list of the bigger-deeper shroud options and I liked the Orbit design and look the best.

Anyway, if you're doing this yourself, I really, heartily, recommend that you go to TRS for the parts!

I did a much more detailed writeup and picture-post over at the KP forum, so won't repeat all that here. Please go to Solstice Projector HID Install - a Show and Tell for more detail.

But I will include a few teaser photos here, so you can see what I'm talking about...

Finally, some outside daylight shots of the finished headlamps:

...and pics showing the brightness and uniformity of the beam pattern, first low beam, then high.

I am SO pleased with the light output of these. Not only much brighter than stock, but no erratic patterns and 'suck-out' areas in front of the car on high-beams. Just compare the coverage of these photos with your non-HID headlights. Really pleased and highly recommended.

Hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Thanks TS, looks killer & can't wait to see pics of them installed.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sorry, I'm confused. They ARE installed... pics above ^^^ (?)
:lol: Holy sh*t on an alter, those are killer TS, very C6ish. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:lol: Holy sh*t on an alter, those are killer TS, very C6ish. :thumbs:
Thanks all. Heh, my wife thinks they look like "Transformer eyes". She says she keeps expecting them to rotate and move in and out (along with mechanical servo sounds) :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Ha, with your electrical skills you could probably wire up an arduino-powered, adaptive headlight system complete with sound effects. I'd pitch-in to see that!

Thanks for the write-up, excellent as always in describing something that's been on my project list for far too long.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great thread and pics. I really like the white light they produce. What color temperature bulbs did you go with 4300K, 5000K? And did you go with the 35W or 50W bulbs ?

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - swapped the outside finished-photos for some better ones in sunlight (above)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Cool! But around here you would get pulled over an fined in a heartbeat for illegal headlights.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
As always soup, a spectacular job. I HATE the stupid HID kits people install for $100 these are beautiful!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Cool! But around here you would get pulled over an fined in a heartbeat for illegal headlights.
When it comes to aftermarket HID stuff, I find the only time it's an issue is if you're out in the sticks. Out there the "folk" including the cops think you're practically a UFO with HIDs and proper projectors. If you're in a metropolitan area, with so many cars running legitimate HIDs, especially on uncommon cars like the Solstice/Sky, cops can't tell which cars had them or not from factory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts