Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a couple of shots from the lotus elise interior:

[imhttp://www.puresportscar.com/gallery/data/519/2Lotus_Exige_blue_interior-med.jpg
http://www.puresportscar.com/gallery/data/521/2Elise-type-23-interior-med.jpg

Was drooling over pics of this little pocket rocket and noticed the vents looked like the same ones on the Solstice.

Talked to a friend who was at the Lotus plant where they build it, and he said they got their AC vent/outlets straight from Alpha Romeo. So a couple of internet searches and found:

http://www.alfaromeo.com/ALFAROMEO_COM/uploads/1030/1073820487/20030722/MO_D_09_003_1.jpg

which is not very clear, but looks to be the same vent. Also appears to be the same vent here:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/data/505/26PV_015952_.jpg

In that conversation, he/she mentioned a lot of re-use - including the mirrors - which he/she thought came from a fiat product.

Some more searching, and I found this:

http://www.fiatbarchetta.com/images/new-barchetta.jpg

and if you look carefully at the mirrors, they look a lot like the ones in this pic:

http://www.pontiac.com/fuelingzone/wallpaper/images/wallpaper_solstice_lg_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So, what we suspect or know so far:

Front fog lamps: Grand Prix
Rear Back-up Lamps: Envoy/Trailblazer
Seats: Shared with Opel (maybe just the frame?)
Outside Rear View Mirrors: Fiat Barchetta?
Interior AC vents: Lotus Elise or Alfa 156/Fiat
Brakes/Rotors: ION Redline or Malibu Maxx? (suspect, but specs look very close)
Engine: Chevy Cobalt (2.4l), Uplevel F/I unknown, Cobalt S/C possible
Transmission: Aisin 5 spd manual, suspect adapted from Chevy Colorado (and possibly Hummer H3)
Differential: Cadillac CTS (from cars.com overview)
Door Handles: Unknown but mentioned as shared
Gage Cluster: Chevy Cobalt
HVAC controls: Hummer H3

Anything else?

·
Registered
281 Posts
solsticeman said:
So, what we suspect or know so far:

Front fog lamps: Grand Prix
Rear Back-up Lamps: Envoy/Trailblazer
Seats: Unknown but mentioned as shared
Outside Rear View Mirrors: Fiat Barchetta?
Interior AC vents: Lotus Elise or Alfa 156?
Brakes/Rotors: ION Redline or Malibu Maxx? (suspect, but specs look very close)
Engine: Chevy Cobalt (2.4l), Uplevel F/I unknown, Cobalt S/C possible
Transmission: Aisin 5 spd manual, suspect adapted from Chevy Colorado
Differential: Cadillac CTS (from cars.com overview)
Door Handles: Unknown but mentioned as shared
Gage Cluster: Chevy Cobalt (from pictures available on internet)?

Anything else?
vibe guages in the pics

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Bizz said:
vibe guages in the pics
Nope, the current Vibe has a 4-gauge cluster. I though we covered this in another thread a month or so ago.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Actually you can find those AC vents in Acura RSX's dating back to 2002. You can also find them in several other modern cars too.

Yeah the pics we've seen of the SS Cobalt so far has the same guages.

Also the 2.4L L850 from the SS Cobalt might not be offered in the SS Cobalt anymore. As we've mentioned in another thread Chevy seems to have removed mention of it from the Cobalt website.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bizz said:
vibe guages in the pics

Nope, at least from what I can tell from the pics of the 2006 Solstice (the one Edmunds drove):
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425&page=2&pp=15#post4163

Looks like the same gauge cluster as the cobalt, with some chrome-edged tubes added.

I think it's similar to the treatment of the SSR gage cluster, using the same one as the trailblazer with some trim rings around the gage to make it different.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
This has more to do with the Solstice Concept and VX Lightning Concept then the production Solstice, but could eventually apply.

Through reading several articles a lot of them refernece "The supercharger is an off-the-shelf unit supplied right out of the GM Service Parts performance catalog." Going to the GM Performance Parts Catalog you can lookup the Supercharger they reference [LINK]. The Supercharger they designed for the older 2.4L Sunfire/Cavelier.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
This review has some good material on parts sharing in it on cars.com, and clears up some issues:

http://www.cars.com/go/features/autoshows/vehicle.jsp?autoshow=&vehicletype=production&autoshowyear=2004&vehicle=production_Pontiac_Solstice

GUAGES: The article confirms the guage cluster is in fact from the Cobalt.

Vents: It indicates the vents have been picked from Fiat.

Seat Frames: From Opel

Fog Lights and Reverse lights: From the Envoy SUV

It also cautions that the interior is far from the finished product, and many changes could take place between now and the final car, especially in regard to materials used and quality of materials, fit and finish. Maybe Edmunds should have taken that into account during their drive, even though they did like the interior overall they did ccriticise some of the materials quality.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Your right, Alfa is owned by Fiat. Fiats subsidiaries include Alfa Romeo, as well as Ferrari and Maserati (and also Lancia, although I am not too familiar with them). I don't know what kind of percentages are owned or anything, but these brands are all listed as subsidiaries, so those Fiat vents could easily be out of an Alfa.

·
Registered
113 Posts
brentil said:
Also the 2.4L L850 from the SS Cobalt might not be offered in the SS Cobalt anymore. As we've mentioned in another thread Chevy seems to have removed mention of it from the Cobalt website.
Heck yea, don't waste them on Cobalts, save all those 2.4L's for our Solstices :)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have seen reports that the 2.4L motor will be available in Saturn Ions starting mid-year. The earliest reference I can find to this mid-year intro was dated May 2004. So maybe the Chevy site just got ahead of itself in reporting the 2.4L available right from the start, and that GM had been planning a mid-year intro all along. If not, I do not see why they would give it to Cobalt and hold back on the Ion.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Found a list of officialy listed shared componenets, some are listed already...

1. seat frames come from an Opel Corsa (Germany)
  2. air conditioning vents come from Fiat (Italy)
  3. gauges come from the Chevrolet Cobalt

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
brentil said:
[*]seat frames come from an Opel Corsa (Germany)
I have some experience with a Corsa seat. I drove a Corsa for about 5 weeks in Europe several years ago and the seat was great. Besides the usual slide back and forth adjustment and recline adjustment, it had a hand crank to adjust the seat height. Very cool. Typical German seat, good lumbar support and bucketing but pretty firm foam padding. Germans don't do the sofa thing. I know it has been a few years, and the current seat is probably a little different, but I hope it's mostly the same. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ok, reading through the concept specs and came across some more references to where some of the parts come from. Take with a grain of salt of course since this is from the reference vehicle.

Also a correction possibly, I beleive the LSD is from the CTS-V because I don't think the other base CTS have an LSD.
  1. front end uses a simple and reliable strut configuration with a rack-and-pinion steering system derived from the Subaru WRX, one of GM’s alliance partners
  2. The all-aluminum independent rear suspension is derived from GMs mid-size crossover SUV family and also doubles as the mount for the rear differential, which came from the new GM mid-size SUVs (so unless you get the optional LSD, you proabbly get this one or the CTS one as referenced in other articles)
  3. Unique fabricated drive shafts power the rear wheels
  4. The engine is mated to a Borg-Warner performance six-speed manual transmission, the same one used in the Corvette (we know we wont have this one though)
Also another little tidbit...
"The drop-top is a simple "one-hand"-operated manual fold-down that stows neatly underneath the speedster-style hard cover."

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
Brentil,

Where did you find the list?
I got it from [HERE].

It's down in the Interior section, article is from 2/6/04, and is about the production version.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The concept stuff is all bull. That was the rattletrap beauty shown at the 2002 Auto Shows.

We know the suspension is not a strut - it's an SLA.

You can look at the autoshow pics and see the rear is not out of an SUV - it does look like a CTS, though.

The Pontiac.com site clearly states an Aisin tranny.

So, my guess is the top won't be "a simple "one-hand"-operated" system. :lol

Lots of salt there... sprinkle, sprinkle...

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
Lots of salt there... sprinkle, sprinkle...
Apparently an entire salt block :jester

1 - 20 of 46 Posts