Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fall, was driving my 06 through a puddle and it ripped my rear fascia off. Luckily I recovered the piece with no damage, but the fasteners are all gone. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to where to find the fasteners to attach it?

Also, my passenger interior door handle sags down into the trim. Seems as though the screw is tight, but isnt grabbing or something. Need a new handle or have a fix?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Your dealer parts department can get those for you.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
My experience has been I can find replacement similar plastic push pins at local auto parts stores. Else you can call crate engine depot and order them. I get them from CED.

The interior door handle is plastic welded to the back side of the door panel. If its loose, the fix is to pull the door panel and by gaining access to the attachment points repair it. Else you have to buy a new door panel which is EXPENSIVE

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Must have been one hell of a puddle. :lurk:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's what I was thinking. when I removed my door panel, I didn't know about the screws behind the handle and busted the plastic welded thing Rob is talking about. My fix was to bust out the heat gun and a small flathead screw driver and melted the plastic rivet back over the panel. easy fix. Soldering iron would have worked too. for the fasteners, the auto parts store has several different kinds. I replaced some on the front of the 06 and got some that were a bit bigger and drilled the holes out so they just fit and fit snug. Used the left overs for TS' trunk lining trick. Buy an extra package as you can never have too many:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. thanks guys! I do have one of the plastic fasteners that survived, i'll take it in to some parts stores and try that. Otherwise the dealer will be the route!

Ironically I did find another guy that this "puddle" situation happened to!

Also, the door thing seems overly complicated for a door handle, however it seems easy enough. I do a lot of comparable work at my job, and should be able to handle it :) thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Best way to "rivet" the plastic is if you can pin-point or narrow down head from a heat gun then "cold rivet" onto it. Get the plastic to the point where it is softening - you usually can tell when it gets shiny and glistening - and then pushing down with a cold bolt head. That swages it out and solidifies it.

Trying to heat up and object and mush it down can work, but it's usually less predictable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.