Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to send my wife into the dealership on the 15th for the EOP (I couldn't get off work). So... since our EOP registration stuff is in her name -- does the car also have to be titled in her name? Or does it matter?

·
Registered
305 Posts
mcbman said:
I had to send my wife into the dealership on the 15th for the EOP (I couldn't get off work). So... since our EOP registration stuff is in her name -- does the car also have to be titled in her name? Or does it matter?
Good question, I myself want the car registered to both myself and my wife.
The dealer told me to place the order in one name (mine in this case)
and they would try to deal with it.

If worse comes to worse you just redo the registration later.

Later!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The name on the certificate will need to be on the delivery information to Pontiac. Some dealers will only do it the right way and the title and delivery info should match. As for two names on the title, I don't see why that should matter. The dealers just need to make sure the delivery info matches or they will loose an allocation for the EOP car.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great... Thanks.

So if two names are on the Title - How does it work when registering with the DMV for tags? (Tags expire on you're birthday -- so who's birthday would get used)?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
One name, two names?

mcbman said:
Great... Thanks.

So if two names are on the Title - How does it work when registering with the DMV for tags? (Tags expire on you're birthday -- so who's birthday would get used)?
Ahh this is a technique used by the state to increase revenues... YOu have to buy a tag for each party. !!!

Seriously though.. I have several thoughts... one.. does the title have to match the registration and two... I'd guess the bank is more concerned about joint signatures on the loan but doesn't really care who the title goes to as long as they have a security interest.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
mcbman said:
Great... Thanks.

Registration is renewed on your birthday? Must be a state specific law. In NJ registrations are for one year, starting the day/month you register. They are renewed annually from that point on.

You need to check with your state's laws. I know NJ has a DMV website, probably most other states do as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes - It's an Ohio thing!
Whoever's name the car is registered in -- they go by that birthday.
(Nice b-day present huh ? having to renew your tags every year on your b-day!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
First comment, title and registration are two different things.

Title is who owns the car. Registration is who is registered to drive. This can be different people. (Examples would be that one spouse is the owner while the other is the registered driver, or a parent is the owner but the child is the registered driver.)

As an example, when my soon-to-be ex bought his Toyota Celica, I took out the loan against my name, since I could get a better interest rate than him. So the title ended up titled to my name and the bank, while he is the registered driver. But then in NJ property laws consider "marital property" as jointly owned, regardless of whose name is on the title. So for us it didn't really matter whose name got put on the title.

Most likely, rules for both the title and registration are set by state law, so check with your own state's DMV.

In your case, I would go through with the purchase under whoever's name was used in the EOP, so as not to be accidentally disqualified. Transfer the title at a later date if you are uncomfortable having it in your wife's name.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts