Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shinoo and I took a fun road trip with our new Solstice this past Sat. We started out quite early in the morning to get to one of the best car shows in SoCal - Crystal Cove. We drove Ortega Hwy to DeLuz rd to Rice Canyon to Palomar Mtn to Mesa Grande to Julian and back! We ended up driving the car on 400 miles of the twistiest roads in Southern CA. The Solstice is a full on blast! We now feel we have a good baseline feel for its performance.

We took a bunch of pix. Enjoy....

BTW: We've developed a new technique that'll make operating your Solstice a bit easier...we'll post the 'Switchover' technique in another thread. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We then drove some amazing roads to fully test the road handling. Turn in is really superb. Heel and toe is pretty easy. Brakes feel good. The tires are well matched to the suspension. The shifter action is short and direct.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We stopped in old Town Temecula for lunch and proceeded to Palomar Mtn. The Solstice is most comfortable attacking smooth open roads with big sweepers. It is really fast through these sections. The car really felt as balanced as my BMW Z3.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks for the pics, very nice :thumbs:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Those are some very awesome pics, looks like you guys were having fun!

·
Registered
854 Posts
The Stig said:
We stopped in old Town Temecula for lunch and proceeded to Palomar Mtn. The Solstice is most comfortable attacking smooth open roads with big sweepers. It is really fast through these sections. The car really felt as balanced as my BMW Z3.
Which side of Palomar did you come down, fast side or tight side?

I take all my roadsters and motorcycles up Palomar to evaluate them. I am curious how the stock brakes held up coming down Palomar? I usually find OEM pads to start fading about 1/2 way down.

·
Registered
214 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
Which side of Palomar did you come down, fast side or tight side?..... I am curious how the stock brakes held up coming down Palomar?
We went up the slow side and down the fast. Half way up the hill I got a signal from a motorcyclist that a cop was up the hill. Sure enough, he was sitting there waiting for someone to come screaming around the hairpin. The Solstice is so quiet that we may have suprised him!

The Stig drove on the way down but got stuck behind a slow 318i who did not see fit to move outta our way...so a good brake test was not conducted here. I also use this side to test brakes. I've had the brakes smoking on my EVO coming down that hill..... :devil:

Brake feel was confidence inspiring. The Solstice has a nice firm pedal even after repeated hard use in the twisties. The stock brakes look kinda wimpy since they were designed for a 16" wheel but they seem to work fine. I think the relative lightweight of the Solstice allows these brakes to work well for most road use.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stang said:
Oh poor Stig. Sounds like a tough job ya got there. Having to take the company car on a trip. Man. ;)

Thanks for the pics! :thumbs: Keep up the good work.
Yeah... tell me about it. I dream about cars and products we are working on all the time :) Last time I went in for a check up, doc gave me a cat scan it looked some thing like this...

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The Stig said:
Yeah... tell me about it. I dream about cars and products we are working on all the time :) Last time I went in for a check up, doc gave me a cat scan it looked some thing like this...

:glol: You might wanna have that checked out.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Palomar! Ahh, the memories. I went up and down there once. Unfortunately I wasn't driving. Unfortunately I was in the back of a minivan. Unfortunately I get carsick easily when not driving.

:yawn: Much vomiting occurred.

Awesome drive though. :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Nice pics. :thumbs:

shinoo said:
Brake feel was confidence inspiring. The Solstice has a nice firm pedal even after repeated hard use in the twisties. The stock brakes look kinda wimpy since they were designed for a 16" wheel but they seem to work fine. I think the relative lightweight of the Solstice allows these brakes to work well for most road use.
I believe the front rotors are off of the Cobalt SS actually, which also has 18" wheels. However the rears come from the Malibu MAXX I believe which uses 16"-18" wheels. Doesn't mean they couldn't be better though. ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Excelllent photos! Can't wait to get on the road with a Solstice. :willy:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Roads in Cali.......

Can't wait to travel some of those same roads. I'm here in So. Cal too. Fantastic Pictures! :yesnod:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts