Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice and really slick how the buttresses automatically retract when you open the trunk lid and they release.

Nice and simple, awsome.

Wish I was crusing on this sunny day. :(

But I soon will!!!!!!! :)

Later!

Stll waiting for my VIN!!!!!!!!! Can't be much longer and my sales are out today
at their ride and drive in King of Prussia, so I won't hear my next update till tomorrow. Boo Hoo!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
383 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
Very nice! :thumbs:
:agree: But it seemed like Excelsior had a bit of trouble fastening the interior. Maybe just something you have to get used too. I hope thats all!

·
Registered
819 Posts
deepdawg said:
:agree: But it seemed like Excelsior had a bit of trouble fastening the interior. Maybe just something you have to get used too. I hope thats all!
I have unlatched the top realese on a Crossfire. It just takes practice to get enough pressure off the latch mechanism before you unlock it. Practice will make all the differencin the Solstice latch also, I am assuming! Other than that, this process looks as easy as what I would have anticipated. Great job, GM.

Back to the waiting game, for 1st of first allocation!!! It will all be worth the extra wait!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Certainly not as simple as a Miata, where you can sit in the vehicle and put it down, but it is another item that adds character to the car. If people don't like it..even better! I own a Jeep Wrangler and it certainly is not as easy as this yet..Jeep people wouldnt have it any other way! And Im sure the Solstice faithful will be the same!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
deepdawg said:
The "relocking" of the roof on the inside is the hardest part of the operation from my experience. When I did it at the Ohio Ride & Drive it took both me and a Pontiac guy to do it, but I don't think we did it quite right. I think it will take some practice. I think the key might be that you need to be sitting in the car so when you pull it forward it pulls even so the roof gets centered properly on the windshield. It will be hard to do if your just leaning over across the seat.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
A question for Excelsior, do you think it would be possible to latch and unlatch the windshield header from outside the car by sticking your arm through the window? Also, is it possible to reach the far butress and push it down without walking around the car? I don't really know why I am asking these questions because any day now my car will be here and I will be able to answer them myself. Just excited I guess. :willy:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Even a simple video like that helps fulfill my appetite for this 4 cylinder beauty. Appreciate the videos and please send more!

·
4,592 Posts
Thanks Excelsior and Brentil!

I'm with Aerodave, is there ways to eliminate the need for getting in and out of the car for both the top up and top down opertion???? Otherwise, you have to get in and out twice, once for top operation , and then to drive.

I do recall we had speculated there was hope that interior release would unlatch by the FOB when the buttresses release for putting the top down, too bad, this would have eliminted the need to get into the car to put the top down.

I am so torn about this car. I love the look no doubt, but the top operation and limited trunk keep putting it as a possible deal breaker. Bet when I see one, I will want to take it home no matter what, but a deal breaker may overide the decision.

Easy on me guys/gals, we can't all be willing to have one regardless of any/all drawbacks, for some people, utility and ease of use is still a major requirement for a vehicle. For me, the wife (W) still has a lot of influence on the decision, and she is less than enamored by these issues. We'll have to wait and see :(

·
Registered
535 Posts
Bonzo said:
The "relocking" of the roof on the inside is the hardest part of the operation from my experience. When I did it at the Ohio Ride & Drive it took both me and a Pontiac guy to do it, but I don't think we did it quite right. I think it will take some practice. I think the key might be that you need to be sitting in the car so when you pull it forward it pulls even so the roof gets centered properly on the windshield. It will be hard to do if your just leaning over across the seat.
That's what I noticed as well. The passenger side required care to line up into the windshield frame properly to be latched.

·
Registered
288 Posts
deepdawg said:
Dunno, at the Detroit launch party, I had the opportunity to put the top up and down a few times and I had no trouble whatsoever. I'm assuming the one I was using (The blue one near the tent outside) was probably well worn in and so was easier to close, but latching it closed was a snap.

Flagg

·
Registered
621 Posts
RODEO said:
I'm with Aerodave, is there ways to eliminate the need for getting in and out of the car for both the top up and top down opertion???? Otherwise, you have to get in and out twice, once for top operation , and then to drive.
As long as the windows are down or you have enough room to open the door wide, you really don't have to get into the car to latch/unlatch. YMMV depending on your height and arm length (5'7"ish and had no problems). Didn't try to do the buttresses while sitting inside the car at Detriot though. Would probably need a long back scratcher with a rubber end to pull the trunk down close enough to close it.

·
5,600 Posts
I watched them raise the tops on the cars at the Alameda ride and drive. The Honda S2000 took about 15 seconds to raise & lock. The Solstice took about 30 seconds. The only real difference is that you can't raise the Solstice top from inside the car. No big deal.

Thanks for the great video by the way.

FWIW, the buttress cloth on the Solstice top was still a bit wrinkled when the top is up. I think this is just the nature of the beast and we can expect to see it on production cars. Consider it part of the character of the Sol. It doesn't bother me in the least.

Here's to hoping the top is always down. :cheers:

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I was at the Detroit party, I talked to John Larson for about 15 minutes or so and he told me that when the journalists first started looking over the car in Oregon, they were talking about the top taking too long to put down. Larson told them it is no problem at all and it can be done in 10 seconds. They didn't believe him so they pulled out a stop watch and timed him...took him 7.5 seconds. He said they were impressed :) (I sure hope I told that story right...now that we know for sure they are reading this stuff, I don't want to be spreading false info ;) )

Just thought that was a interesting story...I think with practice it won't be an issue at all. As deepdawg said, once you have lived with a Wrangler top, anything is a piece of cake!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the video. I can't wait to show my dealer another thing about the car that they don't already know.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes, it does take some practice. You definately don't want it to be too easy or you would be allowing leakage problems. I recommend that anyone just receiving the car to sit in their driveway and completely open and close the top at least 10 times with a small break in between tries.

I have not and probably would not try to lock it while standing, but maybe only unlocking it.

Walking around the car just allows you to admire it just that few seconds more. And I prefer to use the plastic button at the edge to close the trunk. But I try to switch the side as often as I can. This prevents fingerprints. :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
RODEO said:
Otherwise, you have to get in and out twice, once for top operation , and then to drive.
Oh NO! Not TWICE! :willy: :willy: :willy:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts