Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because there has been speculation, here is the procedure:

Battery Replacement

Removal Procedure

Disconnect the negative battery cable (2). Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure .

Remove the wheelhouse liner. Refer to Wheelhouse Liner Replacement - Front .

Lower the vehicle.

Open the positive battery cable connection cover.

Loosen the positive battery cable bolt.

Remove the positive battery cable (1).

Remove the front fender rear bracket to side rail bolts.

Remove the front fender to front fender rear bracket upper (1) and lower (2) bolts.

Remove the front fender rear bracket.

Remove the battery hold down retainer bolt and retainer.

Important: Do not tip the battery more than 40 degrees during removal.

Remove the battery.

Installation Procedure

Important: Do not tip the battery more than 40 degrees during battery installation.

Install the battery.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the battery hold down retainer and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Install the front fender rear bracket.

Install the front fender rear bracket to side rail bolts. Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Install the front fender to front fender rear bracket upper (1) and lower (2) bolts. Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Install the positive battery cable (1).

Tighten the positive battery cable bolt. Tighten the bolt to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

Close the positive battery cable connection cover.

Install the wheelhouse liner. Refer to Wheelhouse Liner Replacement - Front .

Connect the negative battery cable (2). Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure .

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On a side note, if the black thing that covers the tires is the "wheelhouse liner", that desciption is about correct. It is truly a "liner," because it is very soft and plyable. You can literally push it down so it touches the tire, it's almost squishy. After talking to the CCC at the track they made this piece out of this soft material to keep the weight down.

·
Registered
227 Posts
stang said:
You take the front fender off to change the battery? That's interesting. :crazy:
The way I interpreted the instructions was to remove various fender brackets....not the fender itself. Either way, it looks like a real pain...I'd probably take it to one of those battery stores that do free install with the purchase since I would imagine the dealer will charge several hours in labor.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
general said:
The way I interpreted the instructions was to remove various fender brackets....not the fender itself. Either way, it looks like a real pain...I'd probably take it to one of those battery stores that do free install with the purchase since I would imagine the dealer will charge several hours in labor.
careful of the free installs..too...if they cant simply undo the terminal leads and lift the battery from the bracket...its not free.....I was in sears the other day....and they were charging a fee to replace a battery in the new style beetle....because the salesman stated it was more labor intensive due to the battery location in the car.....Not sure I wouldnt let the dealer do it...maybe one of those fixed priced items......a good service department will do that..vice selling the item and charging a labor charge for installation as well.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
general said:
But still removing all those brackets that place the fender in its proper alignment may cause misalignment when retightening.

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will post the jump start instruction later, tonight.

Keep in mind that this isn't a fender in the normal sense of the word. It is just the trapazoid shaped panel behind the wheel and in front on the door.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I think we've all learned a little something here.

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE PROPER CARE OF THE BATTERY!

From personal experience, I seem to get at least five years out of a battery. So I wouldn't think this will be a problem that most of us will have to deal with. Let the second owner have fun switching it out. :D

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
646 Posts
to me it looked like just removing the fender & brace was faster and eazer than removing the inner liner and than the rest of everything,

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did the inner fender, might take longer but you don't have to screw around adjusting gaps on the fender when you reinstall it.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
... but you don't have to screw around adjusting gaps on the fender when you reinstall it.
Not a problem if you use painter's tape to mark the alignment before you take it off.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Soup is right. I use a magic marker around the screws instead of tape, but it's the same principal. The marker comes right off with a little alcohol.

(principal or principle?)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have no issue aliging fenders.many arnt right in the first place....although mine was pretty close. & I didnt see how the battery could come out by removng the inner fender plastic. there is still a brace in the way and to me looked like the fender had to come off to remove the brace... now if gm didnt put the diagonal brace on the inner fender structure ( or make it removable) that structure wouldent need removing witch would make it a lot easyer.and a lot less adjusting would need be done.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I did the marker, but with my eyes and 1 arm....still sort of a pain.but not hard, just gotta do it a few times as the brqacket moves when tightened. extra eyes wood help.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Batteries are fickle. My original lasted 9 years with 2 owners and two locations, NJ and FL. The replacement lasted less than one year here in AZ. Firestone replaced it at no cost by removing the “fender”, but failed to align it properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts