Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended the Tampa International auto show to see a Solstice in person once and for all. They had it laid out on a revolving platform with guard rails around it and a nice blonde rep standing next to it. Dead people laid out in the Rotunda would not get as much Pomp and Circumstance as our beloved Solstice. The only other cars that were roped off were exotic supercars priced over $150,000. I snapped some pictures but they were not worth posting with the guard rails in the way etc.
The Sol on display was an Envious/two-tone. The Envious looked great in person. The best part was being able to closely compare the Sol to the BMW Z4, Honda S2000, and MX-5 all within a few feet of each other. Make no mistake, NONE of these other cars even comes close in terms of peoples reaction.
The Sol is drop dead gorgeous. This one guy comes up to the Pontiac rep and asks " How long does it take to have one built?" The rep answers " Check your local dealer....I think they are running about 6 to 8 weeks". I laughed. Then I broke the more realistic news to this guy.
Playing Devils advocate I must say that there were some negative points also. All of which have been discussed in other threads. The front grill is much cheaper and plastic looking in real life then on the computer screen.
Also the two tone leather should have been called four tone because there are way too many shades of grey inside the car. The blueish grey is washed out way worse than I thought. I am glad I opted for the Ebony leather. There was a fitment problem with the rear deck lid. It sloped down from being too high on the drivers side to too low on the passenger side. Seemed like the hinges were not lined up right or something but I could not get a closer look. It was a post 1000 car by the way so these fitment problems are still an issue.
Lastly the polished wheels did not look ..umm....polished. They looked like someone took some aluminum rims and spent about six hours shining them up with Brasso. If you are not going with after market rims then the Chrome would be a worthwhile investment.
Overall though the car is spectacular. The wait will be worth it. No car short of a Ferrari will draw as much attention. Even then it will be close.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Just a quick observation, the polished wheels look great on production cars, this was probably a pre-production that has been hitting the shows for awhile.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tampa Show

Yes, I believe it was a pre production car. I asked the blonde what were the last 4 digits of the vin and she looked and said 0250. I also asked where were the six speakers and she was stumped for a while but came up with the answer. Another guy asked to see her put the top up and she said she couldn't because the car is such a limited supply she didn't want to risk any damage. As far as the rear deck lid alignment, I don't think it was closed properly, I know I have to close mine with enough force so both sides will be flush. And the polished wheels on my car look great with only cleaning once a week with soap and water. The GM chicklets were on the doors. I went to find a Saturn Sky but they said the car went to the Boston show.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The decklid maialignment I was referring to was on the hinged side. The decklid not being closed all the way should not have affected this. Hopefully it is a kink that has been worked out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mysterious1974 said:
The decklid maialignment I was referring to was on the hinged side. The decklid not being closed all the way should not have affected this. Hopefully it is a kink that has been worked out.
Maybe that's why Blondie wouldn't demonstrate the top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts