Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the story about the new Miata the competition paragraph says.

"The 2006 Pontiac Solstice with a standard 2.2-liter 180-horsepower Ecotec four gets turbocharged for 240 horsepower in 2007. Also for 2007, Saturn gets a similar roadster with both engines."

And of course the new 300 won car of the year. Like that was hard to figure out.

Fred

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Been a rash of wrong info in the press the last week. I think we need to start proof-reading all press articles before release :jester

·
Registered
86 Posts

Looks like I'll wait until 2007 for the 240 horses but why turbo charged with all it's problems plus it doesn't kick in right away like the supercharger?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am not sure what all the problems are with a turbo aside from some possible lag time. However, that lag time can be made to be quite small and imperceptible in modern turbo engines. You should head over to Subaru and test drive a Legacy 2.5GT. It has a 2.5L boxer 4 engine turbo engine good for 250 HP, and there is hardly any turbo lag in that motor. It feels torquey and powerful across the whole RPM range from idle to redline.

I don’t think there is any reason a modern turbo would be less reliable than a supercharger either. Engineering advances have essentially eliminated oil coagulation problems in turbos (by running coolant through the turbo, which continues to flow through when the car is turned off and cools the turbo further).

You should also check out Solsticeman’s explanation over here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766&page=2

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I might still run with the 170 to 180 hp Solstice, when you jump to 240 it gets me wondering why there isn't a roll bar on these bad boys. Now if they came out with a 240hp coupe I would be in it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Coupe and convertible

It shouldn't take a very smart person to figure this out, instead of making a Solstice vert and a SKY vert, make the SKY a coupe, that way you can sell to 2 type of consumers, and these 2 attractive vehicles won't compete with each other.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
It shouldn't take a very smart person to figure this out, instead of making a Solstice vert and a SKY vert, make the SKY a coupe, that way you can sell to 2 type of consumers, and these 2 attractive vehicles won't compete with each other.
Problem is when you make it a coupe it's not really a roadster anymore. Your performance/racing oriented individuals are going to want the coupe more then your average pleasure cruiser. And since Saturn is supposed to be the more upscale devision (not the performance devision, which is supposedly Pontiac even though it really hasn't seemed that way for a while) pleasure cruisers are more likely to buy the upscale Saturn. Which those pleasure cruisers are going to want roadsters more then a coupes usually.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
GM may prefer to wait until they can do a 2+2 before going to a coupe. Having even a package shelf for a rear seat helps in appeal a little (for no other reason than having a little storage space in the cabin), and also tends to help with insurance. Insurance companies see 2 seat coupe and read surcharge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts